MAB tv guide canada interview

Y&R lovers! Here's your chance to rant and rave about everything in Genoa City!
annyhall

Re: MAB tv guide canada interview

Postby annyhall » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:36 pm

Nelson has his head so far up her azz he can see her reproductive system. So I never listen to nothing he has to say anyway. I don't ever recall Y&R being so dark in all the time LML was there. I don't even recognize half the Characters. And if MAB and the rest of those so called writers are doing such a good job why are the ratings dropping. I guess MAB and Nelson think if they say something enough times it's true! Hello no Emmy nomination. Wake up and smell and drink the coffee because you are asleep and you are not listening to the fans.

ilovemedanes

Postby ilovemedanes » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:43 pm

Quote annyhall: Nelson has his head so far up her azz he can see her reproductive system. So I never listen to nothing he has to say anyway. I don't ever recall Y&R being so dark in all the time LML was there. I don't even recognize half the Characters. And if MAB and the rest of those so called writers are doing such a good job why are the ratings dropping. I guess MAB and Nelson think if they say something enough times it's true! Hello no Emmy nomination. Wake up and smell and drink the coffee because you are asleep and you are not listening to the fans.

OMG LOL!! :-) I don't know what the writer's working dynamics are but they have drove this bus into the ditch!There are a few storylines hanging by a thread, but with these writers gravity will take over and they will fall in the ditch too :D

JK9898

Postby JK9898 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:43 pm

She basically said she doesn't write the show for emmy's she just wants to write a good soap opera. She said the other soaps pull stunt writing. What the he!! does she think all of these blown DNA tests, Mary Jane injuring a child, and Adam tormenting a pregnant woman are. I believe I would classify those has stunts. I don't think she is really in touch with reality.

ILuvNY

Postby ILuvNY » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:56 pm

Quote JK9898: She basically said she doesn't write the show for emmy's she just wants to write a good soap opera. She said the other soaps pull stunt writing. What the he!! does she think all of these blown DNA tests, Mary Jane injuring a child, and Adam tormenting a pregnant woman are. I believe I would classify those has stunts. I don't think she is really in touch with reality.

Maybe she SHOULD start writing for emmys because the crap that is on my screen is torture to watch!

Oreo123

Postby Oreo123 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:07 pm

Wikpedia is a font of information on the history of the creative team for Y&R. Interesting tidbits of information from the early days of production techniques to the ascensions and retirements or resignations ofwriters,directors and producers are available.

It seems with the Retirement of Y&R's Creator Wm Bell in '98 Kay Alden took over his duties as Head Writer and was relieved of her duties by a Ms Brooks of CBS and replaced by Lynn Latham in 2006.
Until Lynn Latham's ascension , Wikpedia states, the creative crew at Y&R was renowned for being a close knit family. All that changed when Lynn Latham was given the Head Writers position. 20 year veterans in the directing , producing and writing areas resigned or were fired. Kay Alden guit, Smith's contract wasn't renewed and Kay Foster resigned - all creative forces that had been with the show since inception.
In 2007 when Lynn Latham was relieved of her duties (fired) a 20 year veteran of Y&R who had been fired by Latham returned - Mike Denny ,as did Janice Esser a writer.
It was Lynn Latham who employed the use of retcons to enhance viewers and ratings specifically, Katherine as Jill's mom and the PC II and Jill's baby switch.

Use of retcons is continuing; changing histories, ages of characters and events to retrofit new or changing storylines. Josh Griffith - who took over Lynn's position was replaced by MAB & Paul Rauch and their episodes began in Oct 2008. The retcons continue to this day.....and there are sooooo many more! An empty grave and PC III being alive....Cane's whole background and DNA results are too messy to unravel...think in Cane's case it is not a retcon but a PLOT HOLE that can't be plugged! Another is Katherine NOT BEING JILL'S MOTHER.
MAB is also responsible for bringing back old characters and revising their identities and giving them s/l's...we have seen a few....and more are on their way.

I cannot agree that the characters have not been compromised in MAB's endeavor to restoreY &R to it's Glory Days The return of characters from long ago are wonderful.....Retcons are not always welcomed and when they don't make sense the result is a weaker show and up pops a PLOT HOLE. Characters are now only shadows of their former selves and some s/l's are too disappointing to be acceptable to long time viewers.

Anyway.....it seems no one...neither Latham or MAB can spin the magic the creator did for so many years Wm Bell! Let's see if the return of veteran producers, directors and a writer or two can help sprinkle some magic dust around!!!

pdames4

Postby pdames4 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:11 pm

It just goes to show that if you ain't got what it takes, your last name don't mean a hill of beans. Bottom line, the show sucks! :(

JK9898

Postby JK9898 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:19 pm

Quote pdames4: It just goes to show that if you ain't got what it takes, your last name don't mean a hill of beans. Bottom line, the show sucks! :(

ITA! If you don't have the writing skills it doesn't matter who you are related to or in her case who you are married to. MAB is married to the creator's son right?

ilovemedanes

Postby ilovemedanes » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:52 pm

Quote Oreo123: Wikpedia is a font of information on the history of the creative team for Y&R. Interesting tidbits of information from the early days of production techniques to the ascensions and retirements or resignations ofwriters,directors and producers are available.

It seems with the Retirement of Y&R's Creator Wm Bell in '98 Kay Alden took over his duties as Head Writer and was relieved of her duties by a Ms Brooks of CBS and replaced by Lynn Latham in 2006.
Until Lynn Latham's ascension , Wikpedia states, the creative crew at Y&R was renowned for being a close knit family. All that changed when Lynn Latham was given the Head Writers position. 20 year veterans in the directing , producing and writing areas resigned or were fired. Kay Alden guit, Smith's contract wasn't renewed and Kay Foster resigned - all creative forces that had been with the show since inception.
In 2007 when Lynn Latham was relieved of her duties (fired) a 20 year veteran of Y&R who had been fired by Latham returned - Mike Denny ,as did Janice Esser a writer.
It was Lynn Latham who employed the use of retcons to enhance viewers and ratings specifically, Katherine as Jill's mom and the PC II and Jill's baby switch.

Use of retcons is continuing; changing histories, ages of characters and events to retrofit new or changing storylines. Josh Griffith - who took over Lynn's position was replaced by MAB & Paul Rauch and their episodes began in Oct 2008. The retcons continue to this day.....and there are sooooo many more! An empty grave and PC III being alive....Cane's whole background and DNA results are too messy to unravel...think in Cane's case it is not a retcon but a PLOT HOLE that can't be plugged! Another is Katherine NOT BEING JILL'S MOTHER.
MAB is also responsible for bringing back old characters and revising their identities and giving them s/l's...we have seen a few....and more are on their way.

I cannot agree that the characters have not been compromised in MAB's endeavor to restoreY &R to it's Glory Days The return of characters from long ago are wonderful.....Retcons are not always welcomed and when they don't make sense the result is a weaker show and up pops a PLOT HOLE. Characters are now only shadows of their former selves and some s/l's are too disappointing to be acceptable to long time viewers.

Anyway.....it seems no one...neither Latham or MAB can spin the magic the creator did for so many years Wm Bell! Let's see if the return of veteran producers, directors and a writer or two can help sprinkle some magic dust around!!!

Your loyalty and commitment to this show is outstanding and heartfelt. I choose to believe that they are really trying to write good s/ls...but I feel myself slipping away and violated. At this point the only reason I care as much as I do is because my parents are elderly and they want to talk about "the show" with me.

pdames4

Postby pdames4 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:54 pm

Quote JK9898:
Quote pdames4: It just goes to show that if you ain't got what it takes, your last name don't mean a hill of beans. Bottom line, the show sucks! :(

ITA! If you don't have the writing skills it doesn't matter who you are related to or in her case who you are married to. MAB is married to the creator's son right?

You are correct!

Lilamoor

Postby Lilamoor » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:09 pm

Quote pdames4:
Quote JK9898:

You are correct!

I am with you. The writing sucks. The characters are getting weirder daily. I take weeks or even months off from watching, come back for a week or two and stop again. There is nothing that makes me want to remain an ardent watcher.

Return to “The Young and the Restless”