Question for Bo & Hope Fans & Ben & Ciara Fans

Days of our Lives board to discuss your fave NBC soap!
User avatar
YandR and Days
Posts: 7512
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:22 pm

Question for Bo & Hope Fans & Ben & Ciara Fans

Postby YandR and Days » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:57 pm

I've read posts that are comparing Ciara and Ben as a couple, to Bo and Hope, and thinking they are similar, good girl with wealth, bad boy with none.

True, Bo was a bad guy riding in on his motorcycle, but he had a good heart and went on to become one of Salem's finest and has always been a beloved character.

Ben, from the start, had anger issues and it even worried Abby, then he became a stalker and of course, a serial killer.

My question is, how can the Bo and Hope fans, who we ALL probably are, even THINK that Ben would EVER compare or measure up to Bo Brady? "If" Bo was still alive, I don't think he'd be too happy with his daughter dating a serial killer.

What am I missing?

User avatar
LuvBoHope
Posts: 3524
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Question for Bo & Hope Fans & Ben & Ciara Fans

Postby LuvBoHope » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:17 am

YandR and Days wrote:I've read posts that are comparing Ciara and Ben as a couple, to Bo and Hope, and thinking they are similar, good girl with wealth, bad boy with none.

True, Bo was a bad guy riding in on his motorcycle, but he had a good heart and went on to become one of Salem's finest and has always been a beloved character.

Ben, from the start, had anger issues and it even worried Abby, then he became a stalker and of course, a serial killer.

My question is, how can the Bo and Hope fans, who we ALL probably are, even THINK that Ben would EVER compare or measure up to Bo Brady? "If" Bo was still alive, I don't think he'd be too happy with his daughter dating a serial killer.

What am I missing?


Being a HUGE Bo & Hope diehard I'd NEVER compare Ben to the amazing Bo (there'll NEVER be one like him again IMO), but the ONLY similiarity I can see (I watch sparingly because, to me, they totally ruined Hope when she moved on so fast with Rafe when Bo died & the writers forcing Rafe from then on) is the opposites, rough-around-the-edges, flawed guy with the spoiled, rich girl where the tough guy has such a soft spot for the rotten girl with the entitled attitude!

No, Bo would be very unhappy with Ciara being with Ben similar to Doug when Hope was falling for the bad-boy, Bo! He'd be protecting her just like Doug did until the day he learned to accept it and realized Bo loved Hope & vice-versa and Bo would always take care of his "princess"! That's exactly why the way Hope is behaving now with Ciara is just like Doug did with Bo (except Hope has even MORE reason to be worried)!

IF the writers aren't insistant on sticking with Tripp because he's THEIR choice (like they are with Rafe & Hope) and decide to go with Ben by listening to the majority of viewers, they have a LOAD to do to redeem this "killer"! Also, they'd need to have him be the challenge to Ciara throughout & not turn him into her lapdog because Tripp's weakness in that area & his totally laid back persona have not captured the audience where the necessary chemistry is lacking IMO! He's not been strong enough for Ciara's strength, and they need to let Ben be that for her again, IF he can be redeemed. They don't seem to write that way for men anymore - they seem to make them weak nowadays so the women can dominate - so if that doesn't happen I don't see Ben & Ciara being hugely popular either for any length of time. She needs someone who loves her, has a big heart, but is tough & challenges her often to keep HER tame! She's such a strong, dominate character & needs a partner to tone that down from time to time!

Time will tell but, regardless, they'll never be Bo & Hope but I think that's what many viewers are looking & hoping for. With proper writing the could be the "next best thing" to them. JMHO!!

User avatar
YandR and Days
Posts: 7512
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Question for Bo & Hope Fans & Ben & Ciara Fans

Postby YandR and Days » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:47 am

Thanks, I'm just mesmerized how this phenomenon is taking place, where, we, as fairly intelligent people, can be convinced or manipulated into accepting a character like Ben, into someone to root for. I've always held an interest on how this works, and just not when it comes to soaps, but world wide issues. We've seen how soap S/L/s can happen that have us accepting and rooting for a couple like Luke and Laura, where he raped her in the beginning.

Just an observation but VERY interesting from where I'm watching. Now, back to SOAP LAND! :lol: I'd love to see Clyde show up having a discussion with Hope, about how his son is good enough for her daughter! :lol: Isn't JR suppose to be coming back? Along with Jordan, that'd make a fine family reunion! I'm sure they can find some technicality to spring Clyde from jail! :mrgreen:


Fan1996
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 11:56 am

Re: Question for Bo & Hope Fans & Ben & Ciara Fans

Postby Fan1996 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:20 pm

Very good question! It's funny....I never thought I'd be on this side of this type of scenario. I'm a Ben fan, and I'm def rooting for him and Ciara to be together. I'm not sure they remind me of Bo and Hope. It's too early to tell.....but they do seem connected and able to reach each other in a way that no one else can. I think yesterday's episode with Tripp and Ciara preparing to get it on, was Ciara running from this connection. She is scared of it!
I used to be on the other side, back when EJ raped Sami. I cursed EJ over and over again and thought people were crazy for wanting him and Sami together lol. But I guess I've grown into someone that doesn't take it all that serious anymore. Perhaps if they didn't have such strong chemistry together, I wouldn't be rooting for them....and I'd probably call Ciara dumb and whatever else I can think of. But to me when they are on screen together, they make it all worth watching. No one is ignoring the fact that Ben is a serial killer. It's all being faced and dealt with....and both actors are doing a wonderful job displaying their conflicted emotions and inner battles. It's believable and entertaining the way they are playing their parts. I'm not looking for another Bo and Hope in this. I'd like to see something new. The show is moving with the times, I guess. This is def not the same show I started watching in 1996 lol.
I even enjoyed watching Marlena's battle with it all....her head wants to say NO to Ben, but she can't help but see the growth and potential in him. Ciara and Ben's story is why I watch right now.

Fan1996
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 11:56 am

Re: Question for Bo & Hope Fans & Ben & Ciara Fans

Postby Fan1996 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:24 pm

I just realized that I never answered your last question about the Bo and Ben comparison :lol:

I really just don't compare the two.....that way Ben won't have to measure up to Bo, but just bring to the show whatever he is going to bring. It looks to me that with good writing, Ben could really do a complete 180 and become a character that most love to watch

lurker girl
Posts: 2493
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:43 pm

Re: Question for Bo & Hope Fans & Ben & Ciara Fans

Postby lurker girl » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:25 pm

I don't see a comparison of the two couples. Hope was a naive, protected princess when she met rebel Bo. Ciara doesn't strike me as naive. She's got her dad's rebelliousness, and, very unfortunately, she's already had the trauma of rape. Ben and Ciara are just a surprising match that can't be explained. There is a chemistry there that I don't see with Tripp. But, then, he bores me a lot. Ben has a mental illness that is controlled by medication and therapy, and he needs to have a chance at life.

User avatar
YandR and Days
Posts: 7512
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:22 pm

Re: Question for Bo & Hope Fans & Ben & Ciara Fans

Postby YandR and Days » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:04 pm

Interesting replies. I love watching shows like Snapped, and Who Done It and Why, true detective shows, and I remember that some serial killers had women that worshiped them, some even marrying them while they were in prison, not that I'm saying that any of US would, cause that's a whole other type of cray cray, but it just got me to wondering, how some fans hated the Ben character for what he did, and now some can excuse his behavior because he needed meds the whole time.

User avatar
LuvBoHope
Posts: 3524
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Question for Bo & Hope Fans & Ben & Ciara Fans

Postby LuvBoHope » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:30 am

Fan1996 wrote:Very good question! It's funny....I never thought I'd be on this side of this type of scenario. I'm a Ben fan, and I'm def rooting for him and Ciara to be together. I'm not sure they remind me of Bo and Hope. It's too early to tell.....but they do seem connected and able to reach each other in a way that no one else can. I think yesterday's episode with Tripp and Ciara preparing to get it on, was Ciara running from this connection. She is scared of it!
I used to be on the other side, back when EJ raped Sami. I cursed EJ over and over again and thought people were crazy for wanting him and Sami together lol. But I guess I've grown into someone that doesn't take it all that serious anymore. Perhaps if they didn't have such strong chemistry together, I wouldn't be rooting for them....and I'd probably call Ciara dumb and whatever else I can think of. But to me when they are on screen together, they make it all worth watching. No one is ignoring the fact that Ben is a serial killer. It's all being faced and dealt with....and both actors are doing a wonderful job displaying their conflicted emotions and inner battles. It's believable and entertaining the way they are playing their parts. I'm not looking for another Bo and Hope in this. I'd like to see something new. The show is moving with the times, I guess. This is def not the same show I started watching in 1996 lol.
I even enjoyed watching Marlena's battle with it all....her head wants to say NO to Ben, but she can't help but see the growth and potential in him. Ciara and Ben's story is why I watch right now.


Truthfully, unless you've watched all the YouTube episodes during their creation & development, if you started watching DAYS in 1996 you don't really KNOW Bo & Hope. They were still great in 1996 & the show's signature couple, but their most powerful years were the 80's!

Ben & Ciara and nobody else will ever reach the bar Bo & Hope reached, but there ARE "similarities" in Bo & Hope's earliest times and that's what many long-term viewers are recognizing & hoping to move toward IMO!

Like "Y&R" says, it's difficult for fairly intelligent fans to root for the girl going with a serial killer - it really is even on a soap! For me personally (and I'm one who'd LOVE to see something that reminds me of Bo & Hope - my reason for staying with this show over the decades) they HAVE to do a LOT of redeeming of Ben and play it out onscreen to be accepted for me although I do recognize the characters have better chemistry than Ciara & Tripp! The story matters to me - not just the chemistry - and Ben & Ciara have the potential with quality writing. Hope's getting bashed for overprotecting her daughter, but I KNOW I'd be terrified if that was my daughter knowing what she knows now!

Jeank101
Posts: 5917
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:39 am
Location: Fl

Re: Question for Bo & Hope Fans & Ben & Ciara Fans

Postby Jeank101 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:49 am

I’ve been rooting for Ben for some time now.
However, his sweet, innocent child-like smile is starting to bother me. I hope we’re not being taken in by a manipulating criminal. :o

User avatar
LuvBoHope
Posts: 3524
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Question for Bo & Hope Fans & Ben & Ciara Fans

Postby LuvBoHope » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:58 am

Jeank101 wrote:I’ve been rooting for Ben for some time now.
However, his sweet, innocent child-like smile is starting to bother me. I hope we’re not being taken in by a manipulating criminal. :o


With Ben's history AND any redemption they may make he's a character that can go either way the writers choose down the line IMO! Time will tell where they're headed and who THE WRITERS root for LOL!


Return to “Days of Our Lives”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Back to Top