Joe’s portrait

Days of our Lives board to discuss your fave NBC soap!
Jeank101

Joe’s portrait

Postby Jeank101 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:41 pm

Have a question. Has any other actor (actress) had a life size portrait in the show after they were gone - either retired or passed away?
This is such a beautiful tribute to Joe Mascolo.

Also beautiful is Tom & Alice of course.

lurker girl

Re: Joe’s portrait

Postby lurker girl » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:10 pm

When Susan Flannery retired from B&B, there was a portrait of her over the mantle. Then it was replaced by another woman when Eric Forrester remarried. However, that portrait has been hung up and taken down several times, depending on the various characters who were angry with the replacement of their mother or wife, so Susan might be rehung yet again. Eric talked to it, and when the writers wanted to show that something displeased her, the portrait would fall down.

OKdaysfan

Postby OKdaysfan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:14 am

I am torn when it comes to my feelings about that portrait. On the one hand, as you said, it is a beautiful tribute to Joe to keep it up. On the other hand, that particular portrait and it's place on the wall have been used for years now to represent power in the family. When John was there, it was a portrait of Marlena; with EJ, it was him and Sami; Sami and Kate put one up of the two of them. I kind of felt like Chad and Abby should have put one of themselves up when they bought the house. Now, I could see Stefan and Vivianne putting a new one up. I like the tribute to Joe, but I also like the symbolism it was used for in the past.

EJAMI5555

Postby EJAMI5555 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:03 am

I have not seen a big portrait of CHABBY, but I saw EJAMI & KAMI....And Marlena too!!! Forgot about her....

LifelongDaysFan

Postby LifelongDaysFan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:30 am

I find comfort in it. Joe still has a presence and, as long as it is hanging there, I feel that there won't be a recast. (I know, plastic surgery, brain transplant... are still options a writer could choose to do.) :roll:

Stefano was iconic. I think cast, crew, writers, fans, etc. would hate for the character to be recast - ever!

Plus, the portrait gives the actors a focus when talking out loud to Stefano versus just talking into the air. ;)

stefanoone

Postby stefanoone » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:41 am

LifelongDaysFan wrote:
I find comfort in it. Joe still has a presence and, as long as it is hanging there, I feel that there won't be a recast. (I know, plastic surgery, brain transplant... are still options a writer could choose to do.) :roll:

Stefano was iconic. I think cast, crew, writers, fans, etc. would hate for the character to be recast - ever!

Plus, the portrait gives the actors a focus when talking out loud to Stefano versus just talking into the air. ;)

The day they recast Stefano will be the day I stop watching.

OKdaysfan

Postby OKdaysfan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:36 pm

stefanoone wrote:
LifelongDaysFan wrote:

The day they recast Stefano will be the day I stop watching.

I can't say for sure that I would quit watching, but I would be very angry. That would be so disrespectful to JM. It would be like recasting Tom or Alice Horton. I didn't even like them recast Micky (three times). I got use to JI, but never really liked him. The only reason that one was a bit more acceptable was because, at the time, JC was retiring and hadn't passed away. I still think it was a bad idea to recast. I bet they wouldn't have if we weren't already dealing with Maggie's "murder" (among others) when he left.

EJAMI5555

Postby EJAMI5555 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:21 am

People people :lol: Days WILL NEVER RECAST Stefano DiMera, EVER!!! Like some said here, it will do service to the actor and even Days....Joe as Stefano, was legendary!

stefanoone

Postby stefanoone » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:16 am

OKdaysfan wrote:I am torn when it comes to my feelings about that portrait. On the one hand, as you said, it is a beautiful tribute to Joe to keep it up. On the other hand, that particular portrait and it's place on the wall have been used for years now to represent power in the family. When John was there, it was a portrait of Marlena; with EJ, it was him and Sami; Sami and Kate put one up of the two of them. I kind of felt like Chad and Abby should have put one of themselves up when they bought the house. Now, I could see Stefan and Vivianne putting a new one up. I like the tribute to Joe, but I also like the symbolism it was used for in the past.

When was Marlena hanging there?

YandR and Days

Postby YandR and Days » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:48 pm

I love that portrait and I love that Andre's wearing Stefano's ring.

Return to “Days of Our Lives”