White cop shoots black man

Days of our Lives board to discuss your fave NBC soap!
IslandGirl

Re: White cop shoots black man

Postby IslandGirl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:36 am

IMO I thought JJ was justified in shooting. He told Theo to drop what he thought looked like a gun and instead of him dropping it he turns towards JJ with it.

YandR and Days

Postby YandR and Days » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:47 am

I thought it was out of character for Theo too, he's not stupid and he had to know he was in trouble. It's not like him to do something so disrespectful, I hope Kate is really proud of herself, encouraging such a sweet loving kid into B&E.

JaggedEdge

Postby JaggedEdge » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:07 pm

Who knows what was going through Theo's mind during that. He certainly looked confused as he was turning towards JJ. I'm going to wait and listen to what he has to say before taking a side and criticizing his actions. All I do know is JJ should not have fired his weapon so fast.

JaggedEdge

Postby JaggedEdge » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:12 pm

Aplepie wrote:
What would really make the storyline realistic would be if some people came to town with the sole purpose of whipping up racial tension over the shooting. Abe won't make it about race. The town newspaper, run by JJ's mother , won't try him in the court of public opinion. Too bad Dario is not in town. He could point fingers at the Salem police and claim racial bias.

I would like to think Dario wouldn't do that because this particular case has nothing to do with race since JJ didn't see who the person was nor skin color. All he saw was a hooded figure running away holding what he thought was a weapon.

daysforever

Postby daysforever » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:18 pm

Shadowcat99 wrote:
Jeank101 wrote:Why are you trying to be ridiculous?

It seems anonymous is trying to egg arguments on. Not cool.

I agree. Shadowcat99. Def. not cool.

daysforever

Postby daysforever » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:26 pm

JaggedEdge wrote:I think it is a story about police brutality, and I don't mind discussing that. Shutting someone's discussion down doesn't mean they nor others stop thinking it. This story IMO is not about bringing JJ and Lani closer. How much closer can they get? They're already together in practically every scene. I don't think it's about her getting close to Eli either. I think it's about a cop who was told not to pull his weapon on an unarmed person, repeating that offense and the consequences he will face. He thought Theo had a weapon, but actually he was unarmed. And incidentally, if DAYS had MORE stories based on real life situations and how people react to them, and not all of this corny crap that involves Will and "Susan", their ratings would be through the roof.

I don’t see this as a case of police brutality, at least I hope that it doesn’t evolve into that. Obviously, he didn’t see the race of the person (he would have known that it was Theo).

JaggedEdge

Postby JaggedEdge » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:13 pm

daysforever wrote:
JaggedEdge wrote:I think it is a story about police brutality, and I don't mind discussing that. Shutting someone's discussion down doesn't mean they nor others stop thinking it. This story IMO is not about bringing JJ and Lani closer. How much closer can they get? They're already together in practically every scene. I don't think it's about her getting close to Eli either. I think it's about a cop who was told not to pull his weapon on an unarmed person, repeating that offense and the consequences he will face. He thought Theo had a weapon, but actually he was unarmed. And incidentally, if DAYS had MORE stories based on real life situations and how people react to them, and not all of this corny crap that involves Will and "Susan", their ratings would be through the roof.

I don’t see this as a case of police brutality, at least I hope that it doesn’t evolve into that. Obviously, he didn’t see the race of the person (he would have known that it was Theo).

It already has evolved into that because JJ is a hot head, and hot headed cops are a problem. He was ready to kill an unarmed man already in police custody, and now he's shot an unarmed college kid. He doesn't think well during stressful times and that happens in real life.

AlyH

Postby AlyH » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:21 pm

I’m going to raise another issue. Why did he need to shoot him anyway ? Was a breakin not a murder suspect. Let the kid run off if he has to. JJ forced the issue and as a result he shot and almost Killed Someone. He’s immature and not qualified to be a policeman much less a baby faced detective. This was senseless shooting. And yes hope should be held ultimately responsible and even Abe giving her the job when she is unethical.

JaggedEdge

Postby JaggedEdge » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:48 pm

AlyH wrote:I’m going to raise another issue. Why did he need to shoot him anyway ? Was a breakin not a murder suspect. Let the kid run off if he has to. JJ forced the issue and as a result he shot and almost Killed Someone. He’s immature and not qualified to be a policeman much less a baby faced detective. This was senseless shooting. And yes hope should be held ultimately responsible and even Abe giving her the job when she is unethical.

I don't understand that either. When Theo turned he didn't put his arm down to "shoot", both arms were raised when he turned. I think JJ got worked up in the heat of the moment, saw something that wasn't there and reacted in a way that almost got someone killed. He needs more training and psychological counseling.

delyla

Postby delyla » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:00 pm

lurker girl wrote:To me, it just looked like a scenario we've all heard about in the news more than a couple of times. Not about police brutality, not about black/white shootings, only about a cop thinking the person has a weapon and is mistaken. If Theo had said something, or put his arms up high above his head, or indicated that he did not have a gun, it wouldn't have happened. There are definitely too many cases of police brutality, but this isn't one of them. An officer has to make a split decision and knows his/her life is on the line, so I don't fault JJ. Of course, the writers had Theo acting much differently than usual. Why would he run away from the cops, especially after JJ ordered him to drop his "weapon"?

I agree! I just think Theo got scared and didn't know what to do. His decision making efforts were skewed by his fear and the possibility he was also thinking about how many people he would be disappointing/hurting once they learned what he was "really" doing. The whole situation was bad. All he had to do was put what he had in his hand down and turn around with his empty hands in the air. But maybe because he didn't have a weapon, he didn't realize JJ thought the item in his hand was one.
And maybe - if JJ had went to a police academy that lasted longer than an episode, he would be more prepared in situations like that.

Return to “Days of Our Lives”