Hypothetically speaking...

Days of our Lives board to discuss your fave NBC soap!
AlyH

Re: Hypothetically speaking...

Postby AlyH » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:28 pm

Ms. Diablo wrote:Your post was wonderful, sharp, and perceptive--thumbs up LG. I adore Gabi and despise the characters of Melanie and Abby about the same amount for different reasons. Although I enjoy poking fun on how downright reprehensible their hair styles and wardrobe are, it has nothing to do with looks, it's all about how they behave and how they written.

Melanie was so annoying and so all over the place good girl, bad girl; she was retro-fitted and had a fabricated backstory in order to have more relevance and ties to to some major characters in Salem such as Daniel and Maggie. Melanie regressed from a precocious, partying teenager who lied and played with men to a little girl who giggles, bounces around, gets in everyones business, and occasionally works at her job of cleaning bed pans.

Abby was always a spoiled brat, royal PITA Horton princess who did some dumb things however she always got away with them and still came out smelling like a rose. Abby could do no wrong; nothing is ever Abby's fault, it was always somebody else. I really abhorred Abby after what she did to Carrie/Austin and especially after her affair with EJ. I agree with the poster who felt she sort deserved the ordeal she went through with Ben after she was dishonest and cheated on him. Also, she deserved to see Chad move on with another woman (even if it was her "BFF" Gabi) after she faked her death and again subsequently after she walked out on Chad and wanted a divorce right in the middle of their vow renewal. She didn't deserve to get be run over and nearly die but, she pushed Chad out of the way and stood there like a deer in the head lights for what felt like enough time to watch the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy at a drive-in movie. Evidently, it seems RC and the new regime are trying to redeem and rewrite Abby into a different more likable, less uptight, more mellow, less indecisive, more jocular, less crazy character--well, I still don't like her and I feel after the morphine wears off, Chad/Abby will have about 6 months of wedded bliss, before they endure a whole new set of issues and turmoil.

Right on the money with everything you said. And yes please omg no Melanie. I put her in same category as drabby Abby as Jean Lou. Sells her.
Loved the lord of rings comment. Hahaha!!!

lennonforever

Postby lennonforever » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:18 pm

AlyH wrote:
Ms. Diablo wrote:Your post was wonderful, sharp, and perceptive--thumbs up LG. I adore Gabi and despise the characters of Melanie and Abby about the same amount for different reasons. Although I enjoy poking fun on how downright reprehensible their hair styles and wardrobe are, it has nothing to do with looks, it's all about how they behave and how they written.

Melanie was so annoying and so all over the place good girl, bad girl; she was retro-fitted and had a fabricated backstory in order to have more relevance and ties to to some major characters in Salem such as Daniel and Maggie. Melanie regressed from a precocious, partying teenager who lied and played with men to a little girl who giggles, bounces around, gets in everyones business, and occasionally works at her job of cleaning bed pans.

Abby was always a spoiled brat, royal PITA Horton princess who did some dumb things however she always got away with them and still came out smelling like a rose. Abby could do no wrong; nothing is ever Abby's fault, it was always somebody else. I really abhorred Abby after what she did to Carrie/Austin and especially after her affair with EJ. I agree with the poster who felt she sort deserved the ordeal she went through with Ben after she was dishonest and cheated on him. Also, she deserved to see Chad move on with another woman (even if it was her "BFF" Gabi) after she faked her death and again subsequently after she walked out on Chad and wanted a divorce right in the middle of their vow renewal. She didn't deserve to get be run over and nearly die but, she pushed Chad out of the way and stood there like a deer in the head lights for what felt like enough time to watch the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy at a drive-in movie. Evidently, it seems RC and the new regime are trying to redeem and rewrite Abby into a different more likable, less uptight, more mellow, less indecisive, more jocular, less crazy character--well, I still don't like her and I feel after the morphine wears off, Chad/Abby will have about 6 months of wedded bliss, before they endure a whole new set of issues and turmoil.

Right on the money with everything you said. And yes please omg no Melanie. I put her in same category as drabby Abby as Jean Lou. Sells her.
Loved the lord of rings comment. Hahaha!!!

You're right, PLEASE no Melanie! What a silly dingbat she is.

daysforever

Postby daysforever » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:03 pm

[quote="Ms. Diablo"]Your post was wonderful, sharp, and perceptive--thumbs up LG. I adore Gabi and despise the characters of Melanie and Abby about the same amount for different reasons. Although I enjoy poking fun on how downright reprehensible their hair styles and wardrobe are, it has nothing to do with looks, it's all about how they behave and how they written.

Abby was always a spoiled brat, royal PITA Horton princess who did some dumb things however she always got away with them and still came out smelling like a rose. Abby could do no wrong; nothing is ever Abby's fault, it was always somebody else. I really abhorred Abby after what she did to Carrie/Austin and especially after her affair with EJ. I agree with the poster who felt she sort deserved the ordeal she went through with Ben after she was dishonest and cheated on him. Also, she deserved to see Chad move on with another woman (even if it was her "BFF" Gabi) after she faked her death and again subsequently after she walked out on Chad and wanted a divorce right in the middle of their vow renewal. She didn't deserve to get be run over and nearly die but, she pushed Chad out of the way and stood there like a deer in the head lights for what felt like enough time to watch the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy at a drive-in movie. Evidently, it seems RC and the new regime are trying to redeem and rewrite Abby into a different more likable, less uptight, more mellow, less indecisive, more jocular, less crazy character--well, I still don't like her and I feel after the morphine wears off, Chad/Abby will have about 6 months of wedded bliss, before they endure a whole new set of issues and turmoil.[/quote]

Totally agree about the present Abby. While I didn't love the spoiled brat version of Abigail, as played by K. Manzi, there was seem deep magnetism between her character and Chad's. But this version of Kate and Chad has little attraction; I yawn when they're on.

JeanLou

Postby JeanLou » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:23 pm

Awesome initial post and subsequent posting as well! This is the type of discussion I like to read!

Interesting idea about Smelanie, ah I miss her, if only for the daily amusement/derision at her head-scratching hair and wardrobe choices!! Character wise, I just wanted to slap her. Daily.

I wasn't watching during the days when Abigail was messing around with Austin, although I wish I'd seen it. I probably would've hated her! I have to admit, I was kind of ambivalent about the character, didn't feel strongly one way or another. Kate Mansi has always done a fantastic job with what she was given but it wasn't until Ejabby that I really started to like her. They were on fire! I never cared for Sami & Ej as a couple so it wasn't hard for me to like Ejabby but they were amazingly hot! After Chad came back on the scene, literally a different person, it took me a while to get into Chabby as a couple, but I really did. They were fabulous and then, tragic, together.

However, I have not taken to the new actress playing the part. It not personal, just the fact that her looks are so entirely different (new eye color, hello?!), and her mannerisms as well. Chabby went from being poignant to watching paint dry. Blah. Boring. Annoying! And with the characters of Chad and Abigail as currently written, I can't stand either one of them.

I have always liked Gabi, even when she is acting like a nut or slightly irrational, I just can't help but like her. That I attribute to the naturalness and likability of Camila Banus. She has grown so much as an actress and she is the polar opposite of Abigail (thank God). The irony is, the actresses are quite close in real life ad it sounds to me like they like each other more than they like Chad, ha ha. I am now grateful Gabi is done with Chad b/c he is a loser and a wimp. Gabi has come to far to settle for the likes of him. She deserves so much better! I don't know if that's Eli, I kind of like him with Lani, but I certainly don't think it's JJ. I would rather someone new come on the horizon but until than, Will is coming back (yay!) and Gabi needs to focus on her career.

And that's how I feel about these characters!! Love hearing everyone's opinions since it was all said and done without any rancor!!

Chrissi

Postby Chrissi » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:19 am

I love this thread. It really does explain why fans like or dislike certain characters. Hoping others will see and comment on it. Great read!

Return to “Days of Our Lives”