Republican No Bash Thread

Dish on the soaps, primetime TV shows, or just chat about whatever is on your mind.
alwaysEJ

Re: Republican No Bash Thread

Postby alwaysEJ » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:22 am

In defense of The National Enquirer (something I've never said before!), they were right about John Edwards :)

cats meow

Postby cats meow » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:37 am

Quote alwaysEJ: In defense of The National Enquirer (something I've never said before!), they were right about John Edwards :)

that is too funny, i cannot imagine you reading that magazine :D :D :D :D :D

raving

Postby raving » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:37 am

Quote alwaysEJ: I believe what Palin has said regarding creationism is that there is no reason students can't also discuss this along with the Theory of Evolution that is crammed down their throats.

I understand why liberals don't want creationism taught in school. If you were told you descended from an ape (who descended from some sort of ameba) OR that you were created by a powerful & loving God who created you in His image, which would be more appealing? Liberals love choice when it comes to killing babies, but not so much when it comes to offering students an alternate theory of how they came to be.

It is much harder to not believe in God than it is to accept that there are things we cannot explain & cannot replicate, & that is b/c they are from the hand of God. You are practicing some serious self deception when you convince yourself that the the universe, the earth which rotates perfectly on its axis, the sun, the moon, the stars, and the human body - which is as complex as the universe - are the result of anything other than the hand of God.
EJ I would consider myself pretty liberal...I want choices about many things...sorry but the killing babies comment...unfair...secondly Creationism is taught in school...it's called sunday school, where every person who believes in God (including myself) can take their children to learn and be taught another option.

alwaysEJ

Postby alwaysEJ » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:41 am

Quote raving:
Quote alwaysEJ: I believe what Palin has said regarding creationism is that there is no reason students can't also discuss this along with the Theory of Evolution that is crammed down their throats.

I understand why liberals don't want creationism taught in school. If you were told you descended from an ape (who descended from some sort of ameba) OR that you were created by a powerful & loving God who created you in His image, which would be more appealing? Liberals love choice when it comes to killing babies, but not so much when it comes to offering students an alternate theory of how they came to be.

It is much harder to not believe in God than it is to accept that there are things we cannot explain & cannot replicate, & that is b/c they are from the hand of God. You are practicing some serious self deception when you convince yourself that the the universe, the earth which rotates perfectly on its axis, the sun, the moon, the stars, and the human body - which is as complex as the universe - are the result of anything other than the hand of God.
EJ I would consider myself pretty liberal...I want choices about many things...sorry but the killing babies comment...unfair...secondly Creationism is taught in school...it's called sunday school, where every person who believes in God (including myself) can take their children to learn and be taught another option.

Won't children be confused when they say the pledge...the "one nation under God" part, & yet are told they came from an ape? Or look at a dollar bill that reads "In God we trust"? The public education system should not be a tool for pushing a political agenda...let students hear every theory about how they came into existence.

And yes when a baby is aborted, it dies, so I don't see any other way to phrase that than giving women the right to kill their babies.

Briar_Rose

Postby Briar_Rose » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:46 am

Exactly right EJ, let the children have their choice.

They won't have a choice if science isn't an option.

BTW Raving I am SOOO w/ you on the Sunday school issue.

I don't want public schools teaching my children about God anyway. That's why you pick your church and have the teaching go on there.

I'm not a Republican but I am religious.

raving

Postby raving » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:14 am

Quote alwaysEJ:
Quote raving:

Won't children be confused when they say the pledge...the "one nation under God" part, & yet are told they came from an ape? Or look at a dollar bill that reads "In God we trust"? The public education system should not be a tool for pushing a political agenda...let students hear every theory about how they came into existence.

And yes when a baby is aborted, it dies, so I don't see any other way to phrase that than giving women the right to kill their babies.

No I do not think children will be confused, when saying the Pledge...or singing God Bless America (yah they do that too) That is what Church is for. Church is a place for you to go and worship...your God and Your beliefes. Schools are not spending a huge amount of time on teaching evolution....at this point and time most public schools are teaching to a standardized test that children take nation wide. Science is not even on the test until the High School years....so for our elementary students,( who are probably the easiest to mold) that is not on the test...so not taught as much as you probably think. My children are not confused by the Pledge or the other songs they sing with the mention of God....they are not even making the connection between Evolution and Creationism. And they have yet to ask me why it says, "in God we trust" on money.
I am also Pro-choice, I have always hated that distinction...you say Pro-life, as if the rest of us that want it to be your choice are anti-life, I am anything but anti-life. Yes, I want us all to have choices in life...and one day who knows...one of you may be thanking us for that right, I hope not, but it could happen!

alwaysEJ

Postby alwaysEJ » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:09 pm

Quote raving:
Quote alwaysEJ:
Quote raving:

No I do not think children will be confused, when saying the Pledge...or singing God Bless America (yah they do that too) That is what Church is for. Church is a place for you to go and worship...your God and Your beliefes. Schools are not spending a huge amount of time on teaching evolution....at this point and time most public schools are teaching to a standardized test that children take nation wide. Science is not even on the test until the High School years....so for our elementary students,( who are probably the easiest to mold) that is not on the test...so not taught as much as you probably think. My children are not confused by the Pledge or the other songs they sing with the mention of God....they are not even making the connection between Evolution and Creationism. And they have yet to ask me why it says, "in God we trust" on money.
I am also Pro-choice, I have always hated that distinction...you say Pro-life, as if the rest of us that want it to be your choice are anti-life, I am anything but anti-life. Yes, I want us all to have choices in life...and one day who knows...one of you may be thanking us for that right, I hope not, but it could happen!

No, it would never happen. I have no right to take my unborn child's life & I know that to be true regardless of what the government says. If I took my child's life, I might as well take my own as well b/c I would not be able live with myself.

What about the 40 million babies who have been aborted since Roe? I wonder who they would thank. Their mothers? The abortion doctors? Oh well...no need to worry or wonder b/c they are not around to voice their thanks anyway.

raving

Postby raving » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:41 pm

Quote alwaysEJ:
Quote raving:
Quote alwaysEJ:
Quote raving:

No, it would never happen. I have no right to take my unborn child's life & I know that to be true regardless of what the government says. If I took my child's life, I might as well take my own as well b/c I would not be able live with myself.

What about the 40 million babies who have been aborted since Roe? I wonder who they would thank. Their mothers? The abortion doctors? Oh well...no need to worry or wonder b/c they are not around to voice their thanks anyway.

I actually respect your position on this...I think it's great that you have made that choice for yourself. )I really do) All I am saying is that abortions are not always done by the irresposible, or by people that think this is an accepted form of birth control. And by people one day thanking those of us that helped them keep their right to choose....I am talking about worse case senarios, ie a 12 year old raped by her father or brother.There are other instances where women might like to have that option. But of course it's each individual's choice .

ChaoticAmb

Postby ChaoticAmb » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:37 pm

Evolution is based on scientific fact, and it is something I have studied to great extent. Evolution exists, and all life is constantly evolving.

Creationism should not in any way be taught in public schools, it is biased and the view of only one religious group. Further, it is not something that any college touches upon in biological sciences so it would essentially be wasted education. Evolution is not taught in public schools as a political agenda, but rather as the the most recent scientific information available that ALL college-bound students will have to learn about. It is an extremely broad and difficult subject, and it would not be fair to our students to deprive them of being exposed to it until college. Public education is for the purpose of giving students the tools to progress to higher education.

I am very religious, and I believe in God but when my son is old enough to learn religious beliefs it will be from myself and our church. As it should be, we already practically force the public school system to parent our kids for us. I prefer to not add religious fulfillment to that list.

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:53 pm

Just asking here.....Don't jump on me....not bashing....

If public schools start teaching creationism in addition to big bang, shouldn't then, all forms of creation then be taught?

Return to “Soaps.com Lounge”