Republican No Bash Thread

Dish on the soaps, primetime TV shows, or just chat about whatever is on your mind.
ChaoticAmb

Re: Republican No Bash Thread

Postby ChaoticAmb » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:00 pm

Quote Plot-Twister:
Quote alwaysEJ: Just wanted to poke my head in & say I cannot believe this Sarah Palin 'fake' pregnancy rumor persists. How can we claim to have made any progress as a society when we assault a female politician seeking the VP spot & question whether she gave birth to her own son?

Just as much hooey as it is with Obama being a muslim terrorist....it is all hooey. I can't stand this part of election season.

ME EITHER!! It just get's so ugly, and there are so many rumors and false info thrown around from both sides. I almost feel like we hear more about their personal lives than their actual politics. And then I try so hard to review the "facts," but at the end of the day the facts are only the words that come out of their mouth and we interpret them. Because for everything someone says, I can find something to either contradict or support it. I can always see the other side... just a matter of if I want to accept it or not. (and I'm dam stubborn lol) :-)

Plot-Twister

Postby Plot-Twister » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:51 am

Quote Plot-Twister:
Quote alwaysEJ: Just wanted to poke my head in & say I cannot believe this Sarah Palin 'fake' pregnancy rumor persists. How can we claim to have made any progress as a society when we assault a female politician seeking the VP spot & question whether she gave birth to her own son?

Just as much hooey as it is with Obama being a muslim terrorist....it is all hooey. I can't stand this part of election season.

I would like to take a moment to apologize if my post above was disrespectful. Apparently it was to some. I was actually AGREEING with EJ (I know it is hard to believe ;) ) and apparently Chaotic agrees also. I was not slamming the right beliefs (this time :D cause you know I have before.)

And the part above about me agreeing with EJ and the comment after - that was a joke. Sorry if it was not taken that way.

OH, and the part about not slamming the right's beliefs this time - again, a joke.

I am just trying to interject levity, trying to heal some hard feelings, trying to show that we are all human and have something in common. Things have been contencious (sp) posts on here and was just trying to heal, like I said.

alwaysEJ

Postby alwaysEJ » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:46 am

Hey Plot I agree with what you said - it's all hooey (good word!) & I hope people see past the smoke screens & really look at the candidates so they at least know why they are voting for someone.

I just want to keep these threads friendly so the discussion can continue & they won't be closed - I know everyone else wants that too :)

calliope

Postby calliope » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:57 am

I am a registered Republican but have voted Democrat many times. Guess I am not a "party" girl, I try to listen to what the candidate says. Not his/her party. "Change" needs to happen from our Congressman on up. We need to start there, the president has power, but can't just do as he pleases.
Bush has been in office 7 1/2 years. The first 6 yrs the economy was fine. A little over 1 yr ago: consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 yr high, regular gasoline was $2.19 gal, unemployment was 4.5 percent, Dow Jones hit a record high of 14,000 plus, Americans were buying new cars and taking cruises!
We wanted "change" and in 2006 we got ourselves a Democratic Congress: consumer confidence has plummeted, gas hit $4 plus a gal, unemployment is up to 6.1%, home values have dropped by trillions, Dow Jones is nearing 11,000 and investment portfolios saw an evaporation of $2.5 trillion.
We got a Democrat congress and got "change". Can we take more change?
This is from a letter in Pittsburgh Tribune.
I found it interesting!
All this said, I am still not sure how I am going!

alwaysEJ

Postby alwaysEJ » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:31 am

Quote calliope: I am a registered Republican but have voted Democrat many times. Guess I am not a "party" girl, I try to listen to what the candidate says. Not his/her party. "Change" needs to happen from our Congressman on up. We need to start there, the president has power, but can't just do as he pleases.
Bush has been in office 7 1/2 years. The first 6 yrs the economy was fine. A little over 1 yr ago: consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 yr high, regular gasoline was $2.19 gal, unemployment was 4.5 percent, Dow Jones hit a record high of 14,000 plus, Americans were buying new cars and taking cruises!
We wanted "change" and in 2006 we got ourselves a Democratic Congress: consumer confidence has plummeted, gas hit $4 plus a gal, unemployment is up to 6.1%, home values have dropped by trillions, Dow Jones is nearing 11,000 and investment portfolios saw an evaporation of $2.5 trillion.
We got a Democrat congress and got "change". Can we take more change?
This is from a letter in Pittsburgh Tribune.
I found it interesting!
All this said, I am still not sure how I am going!

Great stuff - and so true. The economy was good when Clinton was in office, & guess who was in control of Congress after 1994? Not the Democrats. The current Congress has approval ratings as low, or perhaps lower, than President Bush. With Pelosi at the helm, what can you expect?

alwaysEJ

Postby alwaysEJ » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:47 am

This is a link to an article Newsweek is displaying on their site that discusses some of the things being said about Palin, such as her banning books at the Wasilla library or cutting funding for special needs education (both untrue). Newsweek appears to either be linking to a page from factcheck.org or have gotten their information, at least in part, from this site, which is a good site from what I know of it.

www.newsweek.com/id/157986

Editing to add: there is a list of books circulating the internet via email that Palin was said to have banned while mayor in Wasilla, & many of the books on the list had not been published when she served as Wasilla's mayor.

alwaysEJ

Postby alwaysEJ » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:54 am

Also, McCain has opened up a 15 point lead over Obama among Independent voters. The polls change daily, but a 15 point lead is outside the margin of error.

www.gallup.com/poll/110137/McCain-Now-Winning-Majority-Independents.aspx

gommie

Postby gommie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:01 am

A Wasilla resident called into Rush yesterday-she said reporters are all over town looking to interview citizens about Sarah--only they don't want to talk to the 85% who approve of her-they want the other 15 % who don't..SURPRISE SURPRISE!!

alwaysEJ

Postby alwaysEJ » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:27 am

Question: How many community organizers does it take to screw in a light bulb? -

Answer: Nine. One to screw in the light bulb and eight to organize the busloads of protestors to the nuclear plant that powers it.

(courtesy of Freerepublic.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:23 pm

Quote alwaysEJ: Great idea Kathryn :)

The first thing I'd like to post here is that MSNBC has dropped Chris Matthews & Keith Olbermann as news anchors, finally realizing that these two men are not at all neutral in their election coverage. Chris Matthews, if you remember, is the man who said Obama sent a "tingle up his leg."

Maybe someone at MSNBC has begun to realize why they are last in the cable news ratings.

Actually when Olbermann and Matthews were given the election coverage NBC felt that the viewers would overlook their viewpoints on their normal shows and not hold that against them while reviewing the election coverage. Olbermann did get a bit nasty after hearing the decision, but thems the breaks. Matthews took it in stride. They both knew it was temporary.

Return to “Soaps.com Lounge”