What exactly is Puerto Rico's status regarding it being a part of the USA? (RE: Maria)

Dish on the soaps, primetime TV shows, or just chat about whatever is on your mind.
ghfan1985

What exactly is Puerto Rico's status regarding it being a part of the USA? (RE: Maria)

Postby ghfan1985 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:00 pm

I read something about it being an "unincorporated territory". What does that mean? From what I am seeing it's like Hurricane Maria is "their" problem - like PR is not fully American or something. Either they are part of the USA or they are not. They aren't their own country, so when I read the victim-blaming about how "they" didn't do enough to keep up their power grid, or how "they" are deeply in debt, it seems odd. I have never heard that sort of analysis coming out of the news when a US State gets hit by a storm, nor did the President mince words when another US territory, Guam, was recently threatened.

I think the extent of the damage by Hurricane Maria was stupendous and daunting regardless, but whose responsibility is it actually to fix it? It's been several weeks and it looks like things are happening very slowly.

Blue 501

Re: What exactly is Puerto Rico's status regarding it being a part of the USA? (RE: Maria)

Postby Blue 501 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:12 pm

ghfan1985 wrote:I read something about it being an "unincorporated territory". What does that mean? From what I am seeing it's like Hurricane Maria is "their" problem - like PR is not fully American or something. Either they are part of the USA or they are not. They aren't their own country, so when I read the victim-blaming about how "they" didn't do enough to keep up their power grid, or how "they" are deeply in debt, it seems odd. I have never heard that sort of analysis coming out of the news when a US State gets hit by a storm, nor did the President mince words when another US territory, Guam, was recently threatened.

I think the extent of the damage by Hurricane Maria was stupendous and daunting regardless, but whose responsibility is it actually to fix it? It's been several weeks and it looks like things are happening very slowly.

We took Puerto Rico away from Spain in a war about 100 years ago so even though we never made them a state, I think that yes, they are part of the US & we are responsible for helping them. Somebody in the White House apparently did not KNOW that. BTW, I read on Daily KOS that trump made up an IQ test thinking he was going to win & the final round would be with Rex Tillotson (??) & that he (trump) thought he would win that too. He lost in the first round, against Betsy de Vos who does not come across as a mental giant herself. Ivanka, Jarod, & Donald Jr all lost in the first round too, Jr to the Sarah Huckabee person. I would think this was a joke except I have seen other comments about Donald issuing IQ challenges via Twitter & KOS seems very accurate. Eric Trump did not participate, btw.

Artemis58

Re: What exactly is Puerto Rico's status regarding it being a part of the USA? (RE: Maria)

Postby Artemis58 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:43 pm

The entire argument is ridiculous. Puerto Rico is a US Territory as is the US Virgin Islands. These are US Citizens and, as every US citizen, are entitled to the same level of help as those that live on the mainland-meaning the residents that live in the contiguous states.

ghfan1985

Postby ghfan1985 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:10 pm

Artemis58 wrote:The entire argument is ridiculous. Puerto Rico is a US Territory as is the US Virgin Islands. These are US Citizens and, as every US citizen, are entitled to the same level of help as those that live on the mainland-meaning the residents that live in the contiguous states.

Yes, or even those who live in the NON-contiguous states. If Hawaii, a US state but much further away, was struck by a hurricane of this magnitude, as it is also prone to storm destruction, the response would be much sharper. And the argument that it's harder because it's not on the mainland wouldn't wash for Hawaii, halfway across the ocean. Miami, Washington, and the entire East Coast are much, much closer to Puerto Rico than the California coast is to Hawaii.

Return to “Soaps.com Lounge”