Texas :'(

Dish on the soaps, primetime TV shows, or just chat about whatever is on your mind.
Adeline83

Texas :'(

Postby Adeline83 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:37 pm

My heart is breaking, for all who are experiencing the aftermath of the horrific flooding, caused by Harvey. The most beautiful, yet heart-breaking images, at the same time, is people leaving everything behind, taking just family, & their pets, holding the animals above high rising waters, and getting to safety. Because I'm a huge animal lover, the scared expressions, on the animals' faces gets me every time, and drives me to tears. I hope they can find peace, and comfort, after the storm. Houses, cars, and material things, can be replaced. Lives CANNOT. So, tonight, after you hug your precious loved one/s, and/or pets, please say a special prayer for Texas. Thank you, everyone.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-harvey-animals-idUSKCN1B82A1

Barbyboo

Re: Texas :'(

Postby Barbyboo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:13 am

It's devastating.....boy the Texans really bond and the love and support for each other during this time is amazing.....unfortunately I just watched the news 14 arrested fir looting the disaster victims...lock them up for years and years ....stores vandalized it was pathetic ...

Blue 501

Postby Blue 501 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:10 am

Adeline83 wrote:My heart is breaking, for all who are experiencing the aftermath of the horrific flooding, caused by Harvey. The most beautiful, yet heart-breaking images, at the same time, is people leaving everything behind, taking just family, & their pets, holding the animals above high rising waters, and getting to safety. Because I'm a huge animal lover, the scared expressions, on the animals' faces gets me every time, and drives me to tears. I hope they can find peace, and comfort, after the storm. Houses, cars, and material things, can be replaced. Lives CANNOT. So, tonight, after you hug your precious loved one/s, and/or pets, please say a special prayer for Texas. Thank you, everyone.

We should all give what we can afford to the Red Cross, Salvation Army or other charities we know of that will help & that spends most of their money on those in need, b/c a lot of people are going to need a LOT of help. NC had a flood like this last year & there are still people who have no home to go to and nothing much of anything. And that was our second big flood in about 10 years & they were not high wind. There were heavy rain all over the state that raised river levels more than 20 feet above normal and washed out dams & bridges & roads & sent water over the roof tops of houses. I have a feeling there is worse to come. NC is low elevation for at least 60 miles inland & there are at least one dozen coastal communities expected to be under water within 15 years. The poles are melting! Now of all times when we need a president who is NOT a climate denier, we elected one who is that, plus anti-EPA, anti-regulation, & one who seems to struggle to even understand what is at stake and what has to be done.

mollycoddle

Postby mollycoddle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:44 pm

Blue 501 wrote:
Adeline83 wrote:My heart is breaking, for all who are experiencing the aftermath of the horrific flooding, caused by Harvey. The most beautiful, yet heart-breaking images, at the same time, is people leaving everything behind, taking just family, & their pets, holding the animals above high rising waters, and getting to safety. Because I'm a huge animal lover, the scared expressions, on the animals' faces gets me every time, and drives me to tears. I hope they can find peace, and comfort, after the storm. Houses, cars, and material things, can be replaced. Lives CANNOT. So, tonight, after you hug your precious loved one/s, and/or pets, please say a special prayer for Texas. Thank you, everyone.

We should all give what we can afford to the Red Cross, Salvation Army or other charities we know of that will help & that spends most of their money on those in need, b/c a lot of people are going to need a LOT of help. NC had a flood like this last year & there are still people who have no home to go to and nothing much of anything. And that was our second big flood in about 10 years & they were not high wind. There were heavy rain all over the state that raised river levels more than 20 feet above normal and washed out dams & bridges & roads & sent water over the roof tops of houses. I have a feeling there is worse to come. NC is low elevation for at least 60 miles inland & there are at least one dozen coastal communities expected to be under water within 15 years. The poles are melting! Now of all times when we need a president who is NOT a climate denier, we elected one who is that, plus anti-EPA, anti-regulation, & one who seems to struggle to even understand what is at stake and what has to be done.

There was a piece last night on NPR on the rise of environmental refugees happening the world over. That is the future we are facing while our President says its not happening.
FAKE NEWS is such a great punch line though.

What is happening in Texas is a tragedy, but sadly a forewarned and a predictable one.
American Red Cross needs your money if you want to help and have the money to give.

kenya12

Postby kenya12 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:51 pm

Blue 501 wrote:

It is so heart breaking to see my fellow americans suffering like this my prayers goes out to all of those who are suffering and I love animals too and to see them suffering make me feel bad as well It does mu heart good to see people helping each other in a time of need when times gets tough our people step up to the plate that's for sure wasn't it wonderful seeing all races coming together to help one another

kenya12

Postby kenya12 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:52 pm

You got it

shalaydra75

Postby shalaydra75 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:16 am

mollycoddle wrote:NC is low elevation for at least 60 miles inland & there are at least one dozen coastal communities expected to be under water within 15 years. The poles are melting! Now of all times when we need a president who is NOT a climate denier, we elected one who is that, plus anti-EPA, anti-regulation, & one who seems to struggle to even understand what is at stake and what has to be done.

There was a piece last night on NPR on the rise of environmental refugees happening the world over. That is the future we are facing while our President says its not happening.
FAKE NEWS is such a great punch line though.

What is happening in Texas is a tragedy, but sadly a forewarned and a predictable one.
American Red Cross needs your money if you want to help and have the money to give.
[/quote]
Louisiana loses about 15 square miles annually to the Gulf of Mexico. Moreover, America's first environmental refugees are citizens of Isle de Jean Charles, Louisiana, which has lost over 90% of its land to the gulf. Its citizens are Native-Americans.

shalaydra75

Postby shalaydra75 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:28 am

Blue 501 wrote:

ITA with your entire statement. I tell people who are under 40 and live in Louisiana that if someone over forty tells you that global warming is not real, he/she is a liar. You do not hat have to look at scientific information; you just need to look at the environment. For the last few years, I have wasted money on buying coats, because we have had very mild winters.Tornados and Hurricanes are bigger now. Tornado season is longer now.

Several commenters on Sirius XM have been encouraging people to donate as much as they can to the Red Cross and Salvation Army. They are telling people that no amount of money is too little.

SaraG1000

Postby SaraG1000 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:49 am

I am happy to see that family pets are being rescued with their owners. I hope that is the case with all pets but I doubt considering how some people treat their own animals. I honestly don't think I could leave a pet behind.

I wonder if animals shelters need donations too. I know to some people this will sound unimportant while humans are suffering so badly. However, pets are family members too and they are also in a helpless situation.

SaraG1000

Postby SaraG1000 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:31 pm

HOUSTON (WCMH) — Country superstar Miranda Lambert is on the front lines of the animal rescue efforts in Texas after Hurricane Harvey.

Volunteers from Lambert’s nonprofit MuttNation Foundation are working to transport pets from Houston-area shelters. Lambert, who grew up in east Texas,

MuttNation volunteers say they transported 62 animals from the Houston Humane Society and 72 animals from Harris County. The animals are being transported to other shelters so there is more room for all the displaced animals from Hurricane Harvey.

Lambert started MuttNation in 2009 with her mother Bev, according to the foundation’s Facebook page.

Return to “Soaps.com Lounge”