Raising Ducks and Chickens

Dish on the soaps, primetime TV shows, or just chat about whatever is on your mind.
sparklepony

Re: Raising Ducks and Chickens

Postby sparklepony » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:12 am

Blue 501 wrote:
sparklepony wrote:
Blue 501 wrote:I

They sound beautiful. ny egg lady has some silkies too. The old lady across the road threw her scraps out in the back yard. She thought it was cute when my ducks took their babies over there to eat the scraps but when she had a yard full of big azz ducks scrounging it was a different story. She said they were eating her pears. I asked if I could bring over a ladder and pick the pears & lay them on newspapers on her screened in porch to ripen and she said "No, I like them to drop one or two at a time". Neighbors were criticizing me (in my hearing) for allowing my ducks to harass an old lady. I had 6 acres & a pond but my ducks could not resist the temptation to cross the road for those treats. I could have put them in the chicken house but they would have been miserable cooped up. They were BIG ducks, esp. the drakes.

I guess I am lucky because my duckies stay home LOL.. I am madly in love with my geese tho.. they follow me around and squawk at me all the time.. they will sit in my lap and they nuzzle me.. it makes me giddy..LOL they make me laugh so much.. and my muscovy girls just had babies so I am filled to the rim with babies right now

sparklepony

Postby sparklepony » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:13 am

Blue 501 wrote:Sara G, Phoebe was just very aggressive. She would call the baby ducklings of the other mothers & they would run to her & join her troupe of babies. She was NOT a good mother though. She would take them all into the pond (which had big bass & turtles in it) & then climb out in a spot that was too steep for the little ones to follow her leaving them vulnerable to getting water logged & eaten, Once she was leading them thru high wet grass in the orchard & they were getting hypothermic & falling out. She just kept right on going. I grabbed a basket & put a towel in in & ran to find & scoop them up. I took them in the kitchen & turned a portable hair dryer on them at the lowest setting. As soon as their fluff dried they perked right up
At least Phoebe knew to lay her eggs in a protected place though (a partially hollow big oak tree. The other, younger ducks tended to drop them where ever they were. On the ground or in the pond.
Muscovy ducklings will eat Japanese beetles. One of the few things that will. They will also try to eat your toenails if you have polish on them. (It does not hurt. Their beaks are rounded)

One of my girls with babies is very aggressive when you get close.. she tries to fly at you and scare you away.. I will try to make a link so you can see the babies :)-

poisonberries

Postby poisonberries » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:56 am

Blue 501 wrote:
shalaydra75 wrote:Sorry y'all- I know every little about rearing chickens and nothing about ducks and geese. :oops: :oops: I remember spending a month during a few summers on my grandparents' farm. My cousin and I fed the chickens and collected the eggs. I remember my great-great uncle and aunt had geese that chased my cousin and I. Perhaps, the geese wanted to play with us, but we ran away.

No, I don't think they wanted to play. Geese can be very aggressive. They would probably have pecked your legs or flailed you with their wings. They perceived you as a threat.

I grew up on a farm with a huge variety of poultry, that mom would sell dressed, particularly at Christmas time. And yes, geese don't make good playmates for little kids! :o

Fortunately I had the farm dog with me, he was my faithful shadow, and they were too scared to threaten me when he was with me. :twisted: He was an Alsatian, (as they called them back them,) and was the best worker mom could have wanted. All she had to do was point out the bird she wanted caught, and he would pin it to the ground by the wings, and no teeth involved...and a very efficient 'ratter' too!'

walkerfan10

Postby walkerfan10 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:08 pm

Blue 501 wrote:
sparklepony wrote:Recently I bought a chicken barn and have some baby chicks on order.. and when I went to get the food the lady had a couple of baby white geese that I am now the proud mommy of. I also have ducks.. anyone else have these kinds of *pets* .. yes they have names.. any tips? any laughs? they are interesting animals to be around
''
I named most of the Muscovies. Most of them had different markings & some of them had a lot of personality. Mostly classical names like Jupiter & Narcissus & Phoebe. Jupter was the alpha male. I guess Phoebe was the lead hen. She always hatched the most eggs AND would steal babies from the others.

Wow, I'm not a chicken lover but those mucovies are really pretty. I didn't know there were so many kinds. I live in the city so I would not be able to have them anyway. I applaud you guys for raising and taking care of them.

sparklepony

Postby sparklepony » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:32 am

walkerfan10 wrote:
Blue 501 wrote:
sparklepony wrote:Recently I bought a chicken barn and have some baby chicks on order.. and when I went to get the food the lady had a couple of baby white geese that I am now the proud mommy of. I also have ducks.. anyone else have these kinds of *pets* .. yes they have names.. any tips? any laughs? they are interesting animals to be around
''
I named most of the Muscovies. Most of them had different markings & some of them had a lot of personality. Mostly classical names like Jupiter & Narcissus & Phoebe. Jupter was the alpha male. I guess Phoebe was the lead hen. She always hatched the most eggs AND would steal babies from the others.

Wow, I'm not a chicken lover but those mucovies are really pretty. I didn't know there were so many kinds. I live in the city so I would not be able to have them anyway. I applaud you guys for raising and taking care of them.

they are fun.. check these guys out.. I have 2 of them and they are hilarious

https://static3.mypetchicken.com/images/product_images/large/Studio_WCBPlshBtmPlt_7393_b.jpg

walkerfan10

Postby walkerfan10 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:18 am

OMG!!!!!! what 's that on the top of it head.lololololol They are really interesting. I love birds. I raised cockotails, for 16years. I had two of them one pied and one albino, they had beautiful whistles. People loved to see them when they came to my home because I would always let them out and they would make my house look very exotic to them. they were very friendly. I would cut their flight feathers and even take them outside and they would just sit on my shoulder. they were terrific. I'm glad your's are giving you much pleasure.

Blue 501

Postby Blue 501 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Wow, Sparklepony, what an exotic beauty!

Return to “Soaps.com Lounge”