What's for dinner?

Dish on the soaps, primetime TV shows, or just chat about whatever is on your mind.
Homesick Cajun

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby Homesick Cajun » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:22 am

Quote LucyT: THANK YOU BOTH! :) Where is our HomsickCajun? she is the cook I only come here for inspiration! ;)

Good morning! I'm here!!! Sorry, been busy with Dega! We took him to the vet and it was his back! Dachshunds are notorious for their back problems. I have to keep him still and quiet for six to eight weeks! That's no easy task for a hyper dog. He's on lots of meds that are making him groggy, so that's helping keep him quiet. Doing everything possible to avoid the back surgery. He almost lost the use of his back legs, but he's much better now. Still walks like a little old man at times, but he's at least using his back legs. Scared me to death!! 8)

Be back in a few minutes to post a couple of "inspiration" recipes for you! :)

Homesick Cajun

Postby Homesick Cajun » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:24 am

Quote LucyT: I forgot today is my 27th wedding anniversary. :) I might try to plan something last minute lol WHOOPS!!!!

yOU ALL HAVE A GREAT DAY! 3)

Happy Anniversary! (A little late) *)

LucyT

Postby LucyT » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:12 am

Quote Homesick Cajun:
Quote LucyT: THANK YOU BOTH! :) Where is our HomsickCajun? she is the cook I only come here for inspiration! ;)

Good morning! I'm here!!! Sorry, been busy with Dega! We took him to the vet and it was his back! Dachshunds are notorious for their back problems. I have to keep him still and quiet for six to eight weeks! That's no easy task for a hyper dog. He's on lots of meds that are making him groggy, so that's helping keep him quiet. Doing everything possible to avoid the back surgery. He almost lost the use of his back legs, but he's much better now. Still walks like a little old man at times, but he's at least using his back legs. Scared me to death!! 8)

Be back in a few minutes to post a couple of "inspiration" recipes for you! :)

Poor Dega,I didn't know something happened to him.I feel sick even thinking about it.I know you must be beside yourself.Take care I know you will be very busy with your little one.Keep me posted.Sending good thoughts Dega's way.

I back tracked and found the post about Dega.So scary. %(
Sorry,I missed that the first time.

Layngel

Postby Layngel » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Aww I hope that Dega keeps getting better!

Homesick Cajun

Postby Homesick Cajun » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:39 pm

Thanks ya'll! Happy to report, he gets a little stronger every day.

Needless to say, I've been going the easy route with cooking lately. So this is what I've been up to this week.

Sunday, I made an easy eye of round roast. Seasoned the roast with 1 tsp. kosher salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp dried thyme and about 5 garlic cloves (chopped). Made a paste of that (a drizzle of olive oil to hold it together) and rubbed that all over the roast. Put it in a 500 degree oven for about 20 minutes. (Or 7 minutes per pound for rare). This is the best part of this recipe, then I turned the oven OFF. Do not open the oven door. Leave the roast in the oven for 2 1/2 hours. This has become my favorite way to make roast beef! Foolproof!

Monday, Labor Day, we had bbq ribs. I'm sure I've posted this recipe before, but in case you missed it, here it is again:

4 lbs pork ribs
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp hickory smoked salt
1 Tbs smoked Paprika
1 Tbs garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne (optional)
Your favorite barbecue sauce

Line a cookie sheet with two sheets of heavy duty foil. Mix all the dry ingredients together and rub on all sides of ribs. I like the pork country style, since they're already cut into ribs so keeps the prep work down to a minimum. Put the ribs on the foil, meaty side down, cover with another sheet of foil. Bake at 300 degrees for 2 1/2 hours. Uncover and brush on your favorite bbq sauce, run under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes, flip them over and repeat. Easy ribs!

Tuesday, I roasted a whole chicken, stuffed with fresh thyme, a whole lemon (cut in half) and a whole pod of garlic (cut in half). Sliced one onion, one fennel bulb, several carrots and red potatoes. Threw the stuffed chicken on top and roasted at 400 for about 2 hours. Seasoned the outside with kosher salt, garlic powder, black pepper, a little paprika (makes the skin a pretty brown) and a little Cajun seasoning.

Wednesday (last night) we had steaks.

That's all I can remember! lol DH is out of town tonight, so I'll be having leftovers.

Lucy, hope you're inspired by something I've posted! :)

Everybody have a wonderful day!

Layngel

Postby Layngel » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:10 am

^^Thanks. Hope you have a great weekend as well.

Sounds good,
Everyone have a great weekend and take care. :)
Chat soon.

Homesick Cajun

Postby Homesick Cajun » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:52 pm

You're welcome. Those of you that know my real name, please refrain from using it on any social media. This board and especially twitter. I've gone to great lengths to protect my privacy on social media. Thank you.

Homesick Cajun

Postby Homesick Cajun » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:49 am

Thank you, Admin!

I greatly appreciate you editing Layngel's post. She and I are friends and it was an honest mistake. No harm was intended. Thank you again!

LucyT

Postby LucyT » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:03 am

I made roast rolls and fries potatoes.My family liked it.I had an epic breakdown on twitter *) :~ oVER MY inability to cook *) Really I will never get the hang of this.I am old enough to know how to do this by now. 8)

Anyway I adore U my HSC.
I will keep trying practice makes burnt better right??? :~

Homesick Cajun

Postby Homesick Cajun » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:44 am

Quote LucyT: I made roast rolls and fries potatoes.My family liked it.I had an epic breakdown on twitter *) :~ oVER MY inability to cook *) Really I will never get the hang of this.I am old enough to know how to do this by now. 8)

Anyway I adore U my HSC.
I will keep trying practice makes burnt better right??? :~

What on earth happened? Please don't beat yourself up! I can't tell you how many disasters I've had in the kitchen! You can ask DH! He will happily tell you all my experiments that ended badly. And believe me, they are many! ;)

Was it the roast recipe you asked me about? :|

Return to “Soaps.com Lounge”