What's for dinner?

Dish on the soaps, primetime TV shows, or just chat about whatever is on your mind.
LucyT

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby LucyT » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:12 pm

I bought two rump roasts on sale least week they are frozen right now.When I cook one I am going to give your recipe a try,HSC.

I didn't do much or cook much this weekend.We had dinner from the pizza place Fri,Sat and ,Sun.Pizza,subs,pasta and salad.Easy for me.

Tonight we had taco's,apple sauce,and cottage cheese with a peach crisp and ice cream for dessert.

Calliope seems to be missing again at least from this thread hope she's o.k.

Homesick Cajun

Postby Homesick Cajun » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:16 am

Happy Mardi Gras ya'll!

Lucy, good to see you! I had decided everyone but me got to go to Mardi Gras! Hope you're feeling better! Calliope should be around today sometime. :)

Yesterday I roasted a whole chicken. I tried a new method and it turned out really good. Instead of using a rack I thickly sliced an onion and a few celery stalks to put underneath. Stuffed with a whole bulb of garlic sliced in half and one lemon sliced in half. Roasted it for about 1 1/2 hours at 425. The only mistake I made was I put too much Creole seasoning on it and the some of the seasoning burned at the high temp. DH loved the crispy skin, but I thought it was a little too charred. But other than that it was great. Much easier too than the way I normally make a whole chicken.

Everyone have a fabulous Mardi Gras! :)

calliope

Postby calliope » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:04 pm

I'm here Lucy! I have been reading but don't have much to contribute! No cooking or excitement here!
I did go posh with my son this weekend. He wanted to go to the Breakers Hotel for lunch. This high rolling bartender who has a hard time making it through summers! I guess a splurge once every couple of years won't hurt him! The Breakers is a very old gorgeous hotel on Palm Beach. Very $$$$$. It was a nice lunch overlooking the ocean. Here's how expensive that place is. He ordered a Stone Crab Claw, one mind you, for $31.00 as an appetizer! The food was good. I had yellowtail snapper but I can tell you I have had just as good or better at local seafood restaurants. The rich certainly live a different life.
I hope everyone is feeling good and has shaken that crappy flu stuff that has been making the rounds. So far I have been lucky.
HC I looked at a roaster last weekend but didn't buy it. I love roast chicken and it will feed me for 5 days in different forms.
Calypso, did you get your fresh fish? Bet it was better than The Breakers!

Homesick Cajun

Postby Homesick Cajun » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:27 am

Good morning all!

Calliope, I hate the rack that came with my roasting pan. That's why I tried this recipe putting onion and celery under the chicken. It's also why I mostly bake whole chickens as opposed to roasting them. Roasting is so much easier and we really like it better, but my rack is such a pain to clean. That's why I was so excited when this worked! If I had tried this first I might not have even bought my pan. Any baking pan will work for this. Next time I'm going to put more veggies in like carrots and potatoes and do the whole thing in one pan. I may only use my rack for cooling cookies from here on out! :)

I was going to make Jambalaya yesterday for Mardi Gras but I didn't have everything I needed so I made meat sauce instead. ;( We had spaghetti and garlic bread.

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

calliope

Postby calliope » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:16 am

Quote Homesick Cajun: Good morning all!

Calliope, I hate the rack that came with my roasting pan. That's why I tried this recipe putting onion and celery under the chicken. It's also why I mostly bake whole chickens as opposed to roasting them. Roasting is so much easier and we really like it better, but my rack is such a pain to clean. That's why I was so excited when this worked! If I had tried this first I might not have even bought my pan. Any baking pan will work for this. Next time I'm going to put more veggies in like carrots and potatoes and do the whole thing in one pan. I may only use my rack for cooling cookies from here on out! :)

I was going to make Jambalaya yesterday for Mardi Gras but I didn't have everything I needed so I made meat sauce instead. ;( We had spaghetti and garlic bread.

Red gravy! That's what I remember spaghetti sauce being called in NO.

Calypso

Postby Calypso » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:11 am

Another cold day here!! I am truly sick of it. So to break up the boredom, we went out to a late lunch yesterday. I had pan seared scallops with risotto and the Captain had day boat haddock with fingerling potatoes. It's our favorite French bistro, and we were able to get our favorite table, as there are not too many people out and about.

The rest of this week is leftovers for us.

HC, I did know that Jessica Collins was a classically trained chef, and her cauliflower casserole was great. I may change the recipe a bit. Hope you enjoyed your Madi Gras, even though you weren't in NO.

Calliope, We did have fish on Monday night, and had pollack with that thyme cream sauce I mentioned. The forecast had said snow, but it never arrived. Sounds like a very posh luncheon that you had. It's fun to do that once in a while, but I agree the food is just as good at a local good restaurant.

Lucy, I hope all the sickness is out of your house, and everyone is on the mend.

Homesick Cajun

Postby Homesick Cajun » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:32 am

Quote calliope:
Quote Homesick Cajun: Good morning all!

Red gravy! That's what I remember spaghetti sauce being called in NO.

Did you ever have tomato gravy when you lived in NO? That's one of my absolute favorites! I love it over biscuits with pork chops for breakfast. DH won't eat it!! I don't know why! He loves tomato based sauces but not tomato gravy. ~)

I make it occasionally, just for me, and freeze it in small single serving containers for when he's out of town. 3)

Homesick Cajun

Postby Homesick Cajun » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:35 am

Quote Calypso: Another cold day here!! I am truly sick of it. So to break up the boredom, we went out to a late lunch yesterday. I had pan seared scallops with risotto and the Captain had day boat haddock with fingerling potatoes. It's our favorite French bistro, and we were able to get our favorite table, as there are not too many people out and about.

HC, I did know that Jessica Collins was a classically trained chef, and her cauliflower casserole was great. I may change the recipe a bit. Hope you enjoyed your Madi Gras, even though you weren't in NO.

Calliope, We did have fish on Monday night, and had pollack with that thyme cream sauce I mentioned. The forecast had said snow, but it never arrived. Sounds like a very posh luncheon that you had. It's fun to do that once in a while, but I agree the food is just as good at a local good restaurant.

Lucy, I hope all the sickness is out of your house, and everyone is on the mend.

I figured you probably already knew about her. I tend to forget about Jessica Collins when I'm in search of recipes. I should check out her website more often.

Homesick Cajun

Postby Homesick Cajun » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:35 am

Quote Calypso: Another cold day here!! I am truly sick of it. So to break up the boredom, we went out to a late lunch yesterday. I had pan seared scallops with risotto and the Captain had day boat haddock with fingerling potatoes. It's our favorite French bistro, and we were able to get our favorite table, as there are not too many people out and about.

The dreaded double post!

Homesick Cajun

Postby Homesick Cajun » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:40 am

Good morning all!

Lucy, I so hope you're feeling better! Miss you around here!

Last night we had General Tso's chicken. One of the things I don't make from scratch. Sun Bird makes a good mix for the sauce. I'd probably make it from scratch if I liked it better. I'm truly not a fan but DH loves it and has been requesting (begging) for it for awhile now so I broke down and made it last night. Steamed carrots for me!

Hope everyone has a great day! DH is out of town so I'm going to get back on my spring cleaning today, much as I don't want to! ;)

Return to “Soaps.com Lounge”