What's for dinner?

Dish on the soaps, primetime TV shows, or just chat about whatever is on your mind.
Homesick Cajun

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby Homesick Cajun » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:17 am

Quote calliope:
Quote Homesick Cajun: Good morning all!

Cal, how is Hoover? Better I hope!!

Lucy, Dega loves junk food! I don't eat it, but DH loves it! And if he's not careful his bag of chips will quickly disappear off the coffee table. When we have bagels or English muffins for breakfast, I used to put the plate on the coffee table. But I've lost my breakfast too many times, I don't do that anymore. Turn my back for a split second and it's gone!

Last night we had pork steaks. I may have posted this recipe before, but I can't remember. This is the sauce I use for pork steaks:

1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon each of mustard, soy sauce, and worcestershire (sp?) sauce
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Fist I season them with salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried onions, and a little cayenne pepper. Then place them in a foiled lined pan and pour the sauce over the steaks. Bake covered at 350 for an hour. Then pour off the grease and bake them for approximately another twenty minutes uncovered.

We had black eyed peas with tomatoes and green chilies, and steamed cabbage.

If you like black eyed peas with a little bite to them, Margaret Holmes canned are really good. That's the brand we buy. Actually, all of her products that I've tried we really liked. Haven't tried them all though.

Didn't realize how much I need to remember to post in this thread! Yesterday I was cleaning out the fridge and there was a small piece of ham that I couldn't remember when I baked ham last!! I tossed it, better safe than sorry! ;)

Everybody have a great Wednesday!!

This is very similar to a sauce I used to make for ribs. I added garlic. I love it because it caramelizes
I love Margaret Holmes seasoned veggies. Glory makes good ones too.
Hoover seems okay. Not as much straining and eating the straight pumpkin, when Sadie doesn't leap in and get it first. Sadie is my piggie dog.

I love Glory products too. We have their collard greens often. DH loves them!

Glad Hoover is better! Pumpkin is really great for any kind of digestive issues.

I call Bristol "my fat little girl". Not good for dachshunds either. They're notorious for back problems. I really should put her on a diet.

Homesick Cajun

Postby Homesick Cajun » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:20 am

Quote LucyT: Does anyone have a special meal or dessert planned for Valentines day? What will you all be doing?

My husband will work 12 or 14 hrs that day so he is going to take the kids to see the Lego movie on Saturday.I usually decorate and do something for the kids but haven't this year.I realized today I am only getting out of the house once or twice a week.I hate winter snow and ice.I am lucky to be able to stay home but maybe I am becoming a hermit?!!!

I guess I better pull something together quick like! 8)
I know the kids always love candy ;)

Good morning Lucy!

DH is in Texas today, but he will be home at some point tomorrow night for Valentine's Day. I'm going to barbecue ribs and maybe make a Red Velvet Cake. I haven't decided about the cake yet. But, that's really all we're going to do. Nothing really special. ;)

calliope

Postby calliope » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:21 am

And I know you will be wearing your red lacy lingerie for that candlelit dinner.

Homesick Cajun

Postby Homesick Cajun » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:30 am

Quote calliope: And I know you will be wearing your red lacy lingerie for that candlelit dinner.

It better be red! I'm messy with barbecue! Anything tomato based I wind up wearing more than I eat! :)

LucyT

Postby LucyT » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:09 pm

Homesick and Cali you two make me smile!

I think I am going to make a fruit arrangement for the kids with chocolate strawberries and pineapples.I might fill the glass vase with cut apples and serve caramel for dip with a cracker meat and cheese tray.I can cut the cheese into hearts.I may try to figure out away to make pretzel stix look like arrows any ideas? the kids have a long weekend so that will make a nice lunch for them.I almost always make individual heart shaped red velvet cakes for them but I may not this year.
Last night we had Chicken strips mac and cheese and Broccoli. My kids that stayed home loved it!

I haven't planned a meal for tonight yet and still haven't shopped.I am going to right after B&B .lol

calliope

Postby calliope » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:16 pm

You are so creative. The only meal I ever remember doing specifically for Valentines Day was a heart shaped meatloaf. Now how romantic is that?
:~

LucyT

Postby LucyT » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:16 pm

Quote calliope: You are so creative. The only meal I ever remember doing specifically for Valentines Day was a heart shaped meatloaf. Now how romantic is that?
:~

Calliope that is adorable!I love meat loaf when I am in the mood.My husband will only eat it with brown gravy which I buy because I don't know how to make it taste right.I like mine with ketchup bakes on top or a ketchup glaze.

I just got back from the store and spent 230.00 on three meals and a load of fruit and junk.I know grocery prices vary greatly but everything seems so expensive anymore.I feel irresponsible buying anything when my husband works so hard all the time :|

Oh,well.He will enjoy the junk food.Hopefully the kids don't inhale it to quickly.

We are almost through season five of Lost.I haven't a clue how this will end.I have crazy dreams every night because of the show.I want to get finished before Dallas and survivor starts at the end of the month.

Tonight we are eating chines food.Yes from a box or two ;)

calliope

Postby calliope » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:43 pm

I watched a few epis of Lost but it must have conflicted with something else or I just lost interest. No pun intended! My daughter loved it and watched faithfully. Everyone keeps telling me I should start watching Breaking Bad on Netflix. I don't know, I have a hard time coordinating Walking Dead, Downton Abbey and True Detective, not sure I can handle another!
Groceries are ridiculous ! My granddaughters are coming for the weekend and I stopped on the way home from work for cereal, milk , fruit , pop,a big valentine cookie and beer for Gram. It was over $65.00! I will take them with me for my real shopping Saturday morning. I shudder to think.. Gram can't say no either. Prices are rising and packages are smaller.

LucyT

Postby LucyT » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:25 pm

Quote calliope: I watched a few epis of Lost but it must have conflicted with something else or I just lost interest. No pun intended! My daughter loved it and watched faithfully. Everyone keeps telling me I should start watching Breaking Bad on Netflix. I don't know, I have a hard time coordinating Walking Dead, Downton Abbey and True Detective, not sure I can handle another!
Groceries are ridiculous ! My granddaughters are coming for the weekend and I stopped on the way home from work for cereal, milk , fruit , pop,a big valentine cookie and beer for Gram. It was over $65.00! I will take them with me for my real shopping Saturday morning. I shudder to think.. Gram can't say no either. Prices are rising and packages are smaller.

I might look into breaking bad.We need to take a media break :-) :-) :-) like that will eve happen!

sounds like you will have a fun weekend.I know it is hard to say no.I feel like that is all I do some shopping trips.My girls wanted raspberries blackberries and an egg plant this trip which they got.They didn't get fresh flowers,much candy ;) or trix yogart at 5.00 for 8oz 8).

Homesick Cajun

Postby Homesick Cajun » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:36 am

Quote calliope: I watched a few epis of Lost but it must have conflicted with something else or I just lost interest. No pun intended! My daughter loved it and watched faithfully. Everyone keeps telling me I should start watching Breaking Bad on Netflix. I don't know, I have a hard time coordinating Walking Dead, Downton Abbey and True Detective, not sure I can handle another!

As you know, I never had children but I do have two nephews. When the oldest was about four I took him with me to run errands. One of the stops was at the drug store. You know how they have all the candy and stuff at the check out. Well, I was in a hurry and he was asking me for something and I kept saying no. He asked about three times and finally he said "But I love you!". The lady behind the counter laughed and said "Does he get it now". I said "Anything he wants."....What else can you do? I caved!

Return to “Soaps.com Lounge”