What's for dinner?

Dish on the soaps, primetime TV shows, or just chat about whatever is on your mind.
LucyT

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby LucyT » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:50 am

Quote Homesick Cajun: Good morning and hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend! I know we have been. Fantastic weekend for football! Fantastic finishes! Last second comeback wins! All that thrills this old heart of mine!

Lucy, as for what to do with leftovers, we love Shepherds pie so that's what I do with the leftover veggies and mashed potatoes. As for the turkey carcass and leftover turkey, it's a long standing tradition in my home to make seafood gumbo with that. I don't have everything to make the gumbo, so I'm making the base today to freeze for when I have everything I need. But, my mom started that when I was a child and I've continued that tradition. It makes great gumbo!

Everybody have a safe and happy rest of your weekend!

My husband loves Shephards pie.I have never made gumbo %(
Hope your Monday and the rest of the week is safe and happy. :)

Homesick Cajun

Postby Homesick Cajun » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:19 am

Good morning all! Hard to get back in the swing of things after the long holiday weekend. Hope ya'll had a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

We finally finished off leftovers so last night we had barbecued pork steaks with baked beans and garlic bread.

Have some chicken breasts marinating in buttermilk for tonight. Going to try an experiment with them involving fresh mushrooms, fresh parsley and mozzarella cheese. Will let you know how it turns out. Fingers crossed! :)

LucyT

Postby LucyT » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:44 am

I hope it turns out because it sounds yummy!

I fixed jambalaya from a box :D We got sick :~ LOL

calliope

Postby calliope » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:09 pm

Quote LucyT: I hope it turns out because it sounds yummy!

Haha! Everyone? I have fixed Lusianne gumbo from a box and added shrimp. Not bad but sure not the real thing!
I hope everyone's tummies have returned to normal!

LucyT

Postby LucyT » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:47 pm

Quote calliope:

Haha! Everyone? I have fixed Lusianne gumbo from a box and added shrimp. Not bad but sure not the real thing!
I hope everyone's tummies have returned to normal!

O.K. mostly I got sick and my husband maybe to old for spicy msg filled box meals. :~ :D

We had homemade chicken noodle soup tonight. ;)

Homesick Cajun

Postby Homesick Cajun » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:23 am

Zatarain's red beans and rice is really quite good. It is spicy though. But, I've been known to have DH pick that up on busy days when I didn't have time to make something else.

Homesick Cajun

Postby Homesick Cajun » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:30 am

Well, last night we had my chicken experiment. One of my better experiments, if I do say so myself.

First I very lightly floured the chicken, then seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, lemon pepper, paprika, Italian seasoning, oregano and basil. Sauteed some fresh mushrooms in butter and poured them over. Chopped some fresh parsley and added that. Put about 1/2 cup chicken broth in the bottom of the pan. Covered and baked for about an hour. Then uncovered put mozzarella cheese and baked about fifteen minutes more. Think that's all I did. :~

But, I definitely plan to attempt to recreate. I really should make notes when I experiment. LOL Short term memory is a thing of the past. ~)

calliope

Postby calliope » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:23 pm

Quote Homesick Cajun:

Zatarain's red beans and rice is really quite good. It is spicy though. But, I've been known to have DH pick that up on busy days when I didn't have time to make something else.

My son loves their dirty rice.

LucyT

Postby LucyT » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Quote calliope:
Quote Homesick Cajun:

My son loves their dirty rice.

I didn't use that brand we have before and loves it.Today I have sick kids so it may have not been the food :D

LucyT

Postby LucyT » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:24 pm

Quote Homesick Cajun: Well, last night we had my chicken experiment. One of my better experiments, if I do say so myself.

First I very lightly floured the chicken, then seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, lemon pepper, paprika, Italian seasoning, oregano and basil. Sauteed some fresh mushrooms in butter and poured them over. Chopped some fresh parsley and added that. Put about 1/2 cup chicken broth in the bottom of the pan. Covered and baked for about an hour. Then uncovered put mozzarella cheese and baked about fifteen minutes more. Think that's all I did. :~

But, I definitely plan to attempt to recreate. I really should make notes when I experiment. LOL Short term memory is a thing of the past. ~)

I am going to try this soon not today. :)

thank you!

Return to “Soaps.com Lounge”