Guiding Light - NEWS ROOM

In our 'Guiding Light' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

Guiding Light Casting News

Friday, March 09 2007

Michael Dempsey will leave this Spring (Soaps.com)
    Fans of Cailtlin Van Zandt (Ashlee Wolf) have cause to be jubilant. The effervescent young actress has just been signed to a new three year contract with the show. While the actress was initially only hired for a six episode stint, her role has since blossomed thanks to fan support. Writers already have new avenues planned for the character. She will have her own In the Light episode on March 14th and it's been hinted that she may soon enter into a romance with Ava's Peralta's manic ex, Coop (John Driscoll).

In sadder news, sources say that the cool and debonair Michael Dempsey (Alan-Michael Spaulding) is set to be let go from the show. The experienced actor first took over the role in November of 2005. Final air dates are yet to be confirmed but it is expected to come in the spring. A 'lack of character direction' has been cited as the reason for his departure. Everyone at Soaps.com wishes him the best on his future endeavors. We shall keep you apprised of any further information as it becomes available.

In other casting news, ABC continues to pursue Gina Tognoni (Dinah Marler) for a place on one of their own soaps. While this is nothing new, they are now prepared to offer her a substantial increase in salary. Nonetheless, Tognoni still maintains that she has a great deal invested in GL. Her contract is set for renegotiation in the summer.

Posted by Karrie at Friday, March 09 2007 02:52 PM

I am so happy for Caitlin Van Zandt!!She is awesome.I love her in the role of Ashlee-she is super funny. Congratulations!!

Posted by Isobeau at Friday, March 09 2007 06:26 PM

I, too, am happy for Caitlin. She brings a breath of fresh air to the soap. It would be good to see her with Coop (John) or anyone for that matter, as we will be watching her character grow and blossom.

Posted by Isobeau at Friday, March 09 2007 06:28 PM

I would hate to see Dinah (Gina) go, I really like her character and I think she brings intrigue to the show with her sharp-witted tougue and personality.;)

Posted by Keaton at Saturday, March 10 2007 03:07 AM

Michael Dempsey being let go as Allen Michael?? What is up? He is the best actor GL has ever had as Allen Michael. Please, please, let him stay. The show needs him. I hope Dinah does stay, as she is an asset to GL. Why let the best get away? I hope they are paid more money, and begged to stay, because there are others on the show who don't offer nearly the support these two give to my favorite Soap.

Posted by Wheels_Beth at Saturday, March 10 2007 06:38 PM

I am glad Ashlee is staying. She is kind of bubbly. I agree with you Karrie!!

Posted by ayme at Saturday, March 10 2007 07:23 PM

I will love to see ava and coop reconciliate, i hate her with alan michael. Josh and cassie together makes me sick, i fast forward all the time, can not stand it, it's digusting. I understand that reva was stupid not to tell him about her cancer but the extreme love of josh for cassie is unreal.

Posted by SndrElkins at Sunday, March 11 2007 07:03 PM

I hate to see Alan Michael leave the show.They are way to many great Actors and Actress's leaving the show.I hope That Dinah will not leave i like her,Tammy is gone,Jonathon is gone,Baby Sara is gone,Ross also gone,Now Alan michael and maybe Dinah,Whats up GL with everyone leaving??

Posted by suepoo at Monday, March 12 2007 09:58 AM

yea whats up with all the good actors leaving the show. I like this alan michael too. I also like him with ava. I think its a good move also to keep ashlee also she brings more realism to the show. Don't let diana go she is a joy to watch.

Posted by Guidinglight512 at Monday, March 12 2007 12:06 PM

Im glad Caitlin is staying, shes great! I dont know how i feel about alan michael leaving, he isnt my favorite character but he is okay

Posted by gemini030 at Wednesday, March 14 2007 01:05 PM

YEAH!!More Ashelee!!She is so funny, you can't help but like her. I will be sorry to see A-M go. Michael Dempsey is a good actor, I just don't think he was given much to work with. He did not have a strong storyline the whole time he was there. Good Luck to him on his next project. As sexy as he is he should be on the big screen anyway. Please keep Gina. She plays Dinah so perfectly and I would hate to see Dinah and Mallet breakup.