Guiding Light - NEWS ROOM

In our 'Guiding Light' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

Guiding Light Weekly Blog.

Tuesday, September 08 2009

Olivia (Soaps.com)
    Blogging From The Beacon.

Thoughts on the week of August 31-September 4.

We're now into the final two weeks of the show. For past few weeks, however, things have been rapidly bustling along. I keep wondering whether I would experience it differently if I didn't know it was ending. More than anything, the recent weeks have reminded me of the episodes from the writer's strike last year. Everything is plotted and gridded, swiftly leaping from one thing to the next. Subtle developments are only glimpses. Although current episodes are a great deal more even, the pacing, the plotting, the terse dialogue and the sense that everything is racing to something inevitable are all reminiscent of that period. The plots seem less important now than the sheer fact that they are ending. It's actually hard to gauge how well anything is working because the show is in a completely abnormal position. It just isn't normal for a soap, which is virtually defined by a kind of endlessness, to suddenly have one. I know that they are seeking to give people closure, but I always thought that avoiding such a thing is a huge part of what makes Daytime what it is. They won't close off everything before the show ends, thankfully. I may be in the minority in wishing that they would leave more things wide open than they already have. But that's just me. I don't really care what happens, I care about how they make it happen. It's not that things are bad, it's just that it feels like it's all about pulling together a great quantity of things fast, more than anything else and I just don't find it satisfying. I feel bad complaining, but it's the way I feel. Each day, it makes me more sad.

Seeking to cover a lot of ground quickly, Billy and Vanessa gathered up some cakes and went on a tour of town to announce their upcoming nuptials. It was nice, but this ritual brief engagement and folksy thrown together wedding thing is starting to be a bit much. I mean, it is enjoyable, but it seems more like a sigh than like the peak of a difficult romance that's spanned for decades.

Alan and Buzz (Soaps.com)
    Olivia spent much of the week appearing exhausted. She even tried working out. Josh leered, which is more or less what he does now that he has entered the town's population of single men. She hung out with Phillip and they broke the news of his sickness to their daughter. They both seemed adrift and, whatever their emotions, there was something melancholy and fatalistic about them. They were resigning themselves to something, shuffling further from their pasts as charismatic and often brutally self-interested people into whatever it is they are now. She finally bent and gave in to Nat, but it seemed to be more because she was tired, or afraid of being alone, than that she was swept off her feet.

Things didn't look much better for the rest of Phillip's time last week either. He finally came clean with his family. When he told them, we were only shown the event through glass and in silence, which was a very tasteful way to do it. As usual, Alan and Alex's interactions were lovely, though brief. Alan also had a nice scene with Buzz. They used to have more heartfelt scenes like that together, where they would discuss their problems as fathers. It's something I've missed, but it also reminded me that the Alan of late has been even further out of character than the Alan who found religion after a roof fell on his head. I guess realizing that his son is dying could have as much of an impact on him. Yet, in spite of how good Ron Raines' performance has been, the tidy way they have explained Alan's entire life, reducing it to guilt and a sense of cowardice, has been one of the greatest indignities to a major character since Alex was demoted from a scheming and mercenary business woman into a cougar who drifts around town eating dessert.

Coop's book was magically finished and rushed into publication at an unbelievable pace thanks to Blake, Ashlee and Cyrus. Doris finally came out to her daughter. Orlagh was wonderful, of course, but that doesn't change the fact that it has been too little, too late for a character who deserved more.

Anyway, those were my thoughts about last week. Please feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions in the comments section below and remember that this is all in fun.

- Matt Purvis

Posted by gracie5 at Tuesday, September 08 2009 09:12 PM

Great blog as usual Matt. I can't believe that Guiding Light only has seven more episodes to go. I can remember being a little girl coming home from school and the only thing we was allowed to watch was Guiding Light. My grandma watched us and that was her favorite show. If she was alive today she would be balling her eyes out. When I first found out that GL was ending I thought that another t.v. station would pick them up. I thought who would want to throw seventy-two years of history down the drain? Well I found out CBS and every other cable station around. I feel the cast and crew were cheated b\c they weren't the ones writing and producing the show. I feel that CBS and P&G both didn't try to help GL stay on air. I found out from being a manager that if sales are down to find out why and try to fix the problem. Well in GL's case nobody did that. Even when ratings were going down. That tells me that CBS and P&G gave up a long time ago. Now that GL is down to seven episodes I feel like I am losing a family member. And it breaks my heart. As for last week I was so happy my Otalia got back together. I knew Olivia couldn't stay away from Nat. I just wish that the writers wouldn't have made Nat pregnant w\ Frank's spawn. He is like watching paint dry. I feel like Frank has no personality. If he and Blake hook up they won't be together long b\c Blake is exciting and Frank is boring. He won't know what to do w\ her. I love the bond between buzz and Alan. It seems like Alan is only truthful when he is talking to buzz. I felt so bad for Phillip this week. James still got upset w\ him even after he told him he was dying. If James was my son I think I would have to beat so hard my hand hurt than I would beat him for making it hurt. Another s\l I am not so crazy about is Shane and that witch Marina. Shane was better w\ Dinah. She gave him his life back. And the writers found a way to mess up Shanah. I never thought Shane and Marina belonged together. Doris had me in tears when she was telling Ashley about her being gay. Ashley could have been a little kinder to her mother. Children don't really understand what gay is at seven years old. I hope Ashley and Rafe come around and remember that their mothers gave up things for them. And maybe Rafe and Ashley can be happy for their mothers just this once. Well Matt have a nice week. Great blog

Posted by sassy4 at Tuesday, September 08 2009 09:17 PM

Great review! I pretty much agree with your observations except for one malor one to me at least. Alan's actions of late seem about the most belevable of any that have happened in Springfeild lately. People do not go around for years being as hatefull as he was without somthing spuring it on. The shame one father can put on a son can, and does all the time, create just exactly that kind of hatfulness to himself and others. It is very true to who he is and always has been. For years we have loved to hate Alan; and now we can love to love (and forgive)Alan. I can not consive how difficult it must be to write for or Act in a show that you had put your heart and soul in for many years and know that very soon you will be out of work. I am sad that I will no longer be able to see GL; but I am way more sad for all the people out of work.

Posted by lily of valley at Wednesday, September 09 2009 12:09 AM

I can't believe that they are taking GL off. What are they going to put on in its place? Some more stupid talk shows or something even more stupid? I watch the show to take my mind off my troubles. I will miss it very much but also I agree with gracie5 I feel sorry for all the people who will be out of a job in this economy.

Posted by mommawease at Wednesday, September 09 2009 02:40 PM

Great Scoop! I am so sad about GL ending. I know I have been watching for awhile, it has come full circle now. I used to watch this before I old enough to understand why momma was blubbering while she was ironing. My granddaughter was watching me iron, and yes, blubbering. What a circle! Hey, who sings the lead in song for GL? It almost sounds like "Dinah". I have been sick and missing some episodes. Where is everyone going? I am going to miss GL so much. I will not watch what CBS puts in this time slot. I'm getting to where I am not crazy about this station anymore.

Posted by trinidp at Thursday, September 10 2009 12:20 AM

It is time for Jeffery to come home and unite with his family. I like it that families are all coming together. The person who needs to die is Edmund, how long can one do so much evil. There is no synergy between Olivia and Natalia. She has always been such a boring character. Olivia needs someone like Doris, they personality would bring some fire to the show. This show needs to end with a bang and portray great family life. Dinah needs to come back for the finale. Please no more deaths excepts for Edmund. Please unite Reva and Jeffery, the show needs to end with this type of energy. Good of Jonathan to bring Sarah and give her to Lizzie. It is also good for Jonathan to be with his mom as she deals with Jeffery suppose death

Posted by bjmc9 at Monday, September 14 2009 03:53 PM

i think that they should have let whinny ass brooke and the bold and the beautiful LEAVE!!!! I am so sick of BROOKE BROOKE BROOKE until i could throw up. when is enough
    enough??? change he story line.

guidinglight had the story lines lately that could stand the test of time. i hope that someone will get their heads of out of their .... and reconsider. i am soo glad that billy & venessa and buzz and lillian finally found love. hopefully joh, reva, phillip and beth can find it as well.

but on b & b throw up city.

you have taken away GL what next you will take away Y & R.

I can guarantee you one thing. I will NEVER NEVER watch B & B again. In fact i have probably never watched it more than 10 - 20 times and i have felt nauseaous every time with brooke. why not delete her and donna from the show. maybe it would be more watachable.

good luck to everyone on gl and wish you nothing but the best.

Posted by leonab at Thursday, September 17 2009 08:10 AM

OK GL I'VE BEEN CRYING FOR THE LAST THREE DAYS OF GL
    PLEASE STOP MAKING ME CRY. I LOVE THIS SHOW AND I REALLY LOVE JOHNATHAN, REVA AND JOSH. I WILL MISS THEM ALL. I'VE BEEN WATCHING GL SINCE I WAS A CHILD SITTING BESIDE MY MOTHER. GL I WILL TRULY MISS YOU, AND I WILL MISS YOU DAILY EVERYDAY AT 10AM.

Posted by cbsnogood at Thursday, September 17 2009 02:49 PM

cbs said that it care .but it has not if it care it would have let the light shin. i am stop watch cbs. if i watch it well be the next show that take gl. so i would know who pay for it so i can stop buy the think that take off the guild light

Posted by krejdogg at Friday, June 25 2010 02:46 AM

I love your take on the last episodes of Guiding Light. I have watched it all my life!! As a Lesbian I was very disappointed that the charcters that they chose had been previously cold nasty and mean. I thought that wrong, and mainstream streotypical. Then the girl that Olivia got involved with was married and made out to be a sweet innocent being who was just trapped by this vixen lesbian.
    I am excited that daytime television is finally giving people experience to us. But to make us all look like scorned nasty women? No. We are not like that. We are lovers and not gay because we have been hurt by the opposite sex. We were born this why. We love who we love.