Guiding Light - NEWS ROOM

In our 'Guiding Light' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

Guiding Light's Cancellation Official.

Friday, July 24 2009

It has just been made official. TeleNext Media has finally confirmed what many have suspected and dreaded, there is not future for Guiding Light on another network – the show ends permanently in September.

Here is the official statement from Brian T. Cahill, Senior Vice President and Managing Director of TeleNext.

"When Guiding Light was cancelled by CBS in April, we promised our fans we would do everything we could to find a new home for the show. In the ensuing months, we have engaged in serious discussions with many networks, leaving no stone unturned in our effort to place the show elsewhere. Unfortunately, despite the urgent and dedicated efforts of many people, we have not been able to secure an outlet to carry the show moving forward.

We are extremely disappointed with this outcome, but we are confident we have exhausted every possible option. While it’s hard to imagine Guiding Light coming to an end, we’re so very proud of the amazing feat the show has accomplished with an unprecedented 72 years on radio and television. The show has made an indelible mark on broadcast history that likely will never be repeated. We’d like to thank all the members of the cast and crew who have brought Springfield to life for the past seven decades.

The good news is we have some powerful stories planned during the show’s remaining months that will celebrate the show’s rich history. We continue to appreciate our fans around the world and are grateful for their unwavering support of the show. We hope our viewers will continue to tune in to be entertained and touched by the drama, the love and the family that is Guiding Light. ”

Soaps.com will continue to cover the series until its completion.

Posted by mstwilad at Friday, July 24 2009 02:39 PM

I am very disappointed and sad to see GL end. I have watched for many years and it is my daily getaway from life. GL is the only daytime show I watch (recorded daily) and CBS has now lost my support!

Posted by Peach234 at Friday, July 24 2009 05:26 PM

I have watched this show for fifty years and am very disappointed. I don't understand why something as shallow and boring as Bold and Beautiful can stay on and this one gets the ax.

Posted by Hotchocolate29 at Friday, July 24 2009 05:47 PM

This looks like the end of soaps. I knew when GL got cancelled, the rest of the soap would be in danger. Love u 4ever GL.

Posted by Guidinglight_fan at Friday, July 24 2009 09:24 PM

I hate this! I've watched this show for 13 years..half my life! I will dearly miss Guiding light. CBS sucks! but I'll enjoy what i have left:( i'm just heart broken

Posted by pink kiity at Saturday, July 25 2009 12:31 AM

will maybe something can come of it with all of the cable channel they couldn't fine anyone to pick it up.they should had cancel the dull and boring i mean the bold and beautiful
    that show is dull and boring.take my word on it.

Posted by sassy4 at Wednesday, July 29 2009 02:16 PM

In my opinion it says somthing about a world that has become shallow and boring. Netflex has become my new best friend--or will after the last eposode of GL. I tape Y&R and ATWT also; but other than that (and Gostwhisperers) I will not bu using my TV for anything but CD's.

Posted by sassy4 at Wednesday, July 29 2009 02:23 PM

I do not think anyone should jump to the conclusion that becouse no one would pick up GL after CBS dumped it, along with all it's fans. I beleive that this show was black balled.

Posted by bleedingheart at Saturday, August 01 2009 08:26 AM

I have been watching Guiding Light for as long as I can remember, I am 69 now and the guiding light has been recorded in my home.I am so disappointed that the show has been cancelled. But I still blame the writers they got rid of the best actors. broke up the best couple Reva and Josh to me that killed the show or was a big part

Posted by Debbie2009 at Tuesday, August 04 2009 03:57 PM

This is so sad. I can't believe that no other network would take on Guiding Light? I hate CBS for doing this. And for what? to replace it with a stupid game show? Come on. Once GL is done the only daytime program I will have is Young and the Restless unless CBS decides to cancel them to. So stupid. I want to know what is it about all the other daytime shows like General Hospital and All my children that makes them better then GL that their network will keep them? What is wrong with CBS??? All they care about is new, news and more news. They always interupt a show to talk about something we've been hearing about for days or even weeks. It's not necessary. I won't even watch their news, I'd rather watch NBC or ABC or Foxnews. Anyways, I really wish some other network will come to GL's rescue. I really don't want to see it go. I hope a miracle happens. Thanks GL for all the fantastic stories you've brought to tv. I wish all the actors and actresses the best of luck and hope to see them on tv somewhere.

Posted by faye99 at Tuesday, August 04 2009 04:27 PM

CBS AND TELENEXT MEDIA WE DO NOT WANT A GAME SHOW. WE WANT OUR GUIDING LIGHT. IF YOU TAKE GUIDING LIGHT OFF THE AIR ,YOU ARE SHOWING US THE FANS WE MEAN NOTHING TO YOU.WE THE FANS HAVE SPOKEN WE WANT GUIDING LIGHT TO STAY ON THE AIR FOREVER.AFTER SEPTEMBER CBS WILL BE NOT WATCHED IN THIS HOUSE . BECAUSE IF THE DO NOT CARE ABOUT US THE FANS WHY SHOULD WE CARE ABOUT THEM.

MORE COMMENTS: 1 2 3 » »| page: