Guiding Light - NEWS ROOM

In our 'Guiding Light' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

Guiding Light Weekly Blog.

Monday, April 27 2009

(Soaps.com)
    Blogging from the Beacon.

Thoughts on the Week of April 20-24.

It was a bit of a lopsided week last week. Most of the action focused on Shayne and Dinah going to Bosnia, or Marina battling for her baby. The two stories, which have been overlapping all along, finally met up with the week's big reveal: Baby Henry is actually the child of Shayne and his deceased lover Lara. Of course, he has no idea. This was all revealed to Dinah by a nun who had been following her around the Bosnian countryside. Dinah continues to play therapist to Shayne. Since she's been to the edge and back enough times, I guess she's qualified. She took him out for some dance therapy. Edmund escaped from Roc and stalked them. When they got to Bosnia, Shayne wept at Lara's grave and then he and Dinah made out on the hillside. Edmund is still sneaking around. He was wonderfully unhinged.

Another of the more intriguing developments of the week was Marina discovering a new strain of desperation. Fearing that her illegally adopted child might be taken away from her, she stole some drugs from the police evidence locker and planted them on the woman investigating the adoption. She then threatened to arrest her if she didn't make the case go away. The agent did. The Coopers celebrated. As Marina admitted, she's not the best cop, but she is determined to be a good parent. In Springfield, that usually means making other people suffer.

(Soaps.com)
    When I talked to Bruno and Bogue last month, I guess this is what they hinted at when they were talking about the darker sides of their character's coming out. Marina, for anyone who doesn't recall, used to be a little hell raiser and it was fun. Although I've never been a fan of the Marina and Mallet coupling, I've always been intrigued by the possibilities that they have together, as well as on their own. There's also ample uncomfortable history behind them, like the fact that he was once coupled with her aunt, whose house they now live in. Unfortunately, more often than not, they've had a history of being the most sloppily written characters on the show. Considering the fact that Danny is returning, making it two of her exes back in town, I'm hoping that her less than spotless past will come to the fore some more. Right now it looks like she and Shayne could end up battling over the child whenever Dinah ends up telling him the truth, or he accidentally discovers it. I only hope that they don't end up turning this into one of those after school special moments that they often seem so fond of.

Meanwhile, Natalia and Olivia were... I'm not sure what to say, cute? Olivia tried to keep a little distance. Nat wouldn't let her. Frank almost caught them together, but not quite. The two women shared some important symbolic actions, like going to church together and having dinner. They've managed to imbue hand-holding with romantic intensity, something rarely seen on TV outside of children's shows and period pieces on "Masterpiece Theatre." I don't mean that in a patronizing way; I think it's fascinating and it's far from easy to pull off. If you've been watching Olivia over the years, seeing her like this is a little surreal, but that's not always a bad thing. Sometimes it's the best way to keep things fresh.

Remy and Christina were nice. She lost a job. He tried to help her get work. She figured out after holding a baby that she wants to open a daycare. They smiled a lot. Also smiling a lot last week: Billy and Blake. They got to clown around to keep Reva distracted from all of the pain and suffering. Shayne convinced his father to put his collar back on and christen her child. Josh had a brief moment of self-questioning before he went ahead with it. And Bill and Lizzie finally made it out of Springfield. They went to New York but she'd already done everything he could come up with so he stumbled onto another idea. He decided to take her down to Florida to give her the childhood she never had. Then they can be adults together... I guess. Does this mean that they will change, or will they remain in the kind of artificial adolescent mentality they've been stationed in for so long?

Anyway, those were my thoughts about last week. Please feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions in the comments section below and remember that this is all in fun.

- Matt Purvis

Posted by avidonfan at Tuesday, April 28 2009 09:57 AM

Hey Matt, Thanks for the great racapping and interesting analysis of the GL week! The dark side of the Cooper clan is intriguing, juxtaposed with the completely believable, romancing of Olivia Spencer, makes me extremely excited at the prospect of future story lines for these multifaceted characters. The writers are striving to find genuine motivations for these character explorations and that makes it fun to watch!

I love the new Olivia.. I can't wait to see her balance her public persona and her private vulnerability!

Posted by Blithedale at Tuesday, April 28 2009 09:57 AM

I'm wondering about Bill and Lizzie myself. I'm a new viewer so I don't have a lot to go on, but I'm hoping after this new start -- and Lizzie's redo childhood -- that we'll get something substantial from/for the two. Maybe they should just ditch Spaulding (which they seem to be running remarkably well according to Alex) and strike out on their own. Springfield needs another mega-conglomerate. Christina opening a daycare center seems a bit of a flounder -- R&C are really good together but they need something to DO. Wait... a childcare mega-conglomerate with B&L!

The WIN of the week though has to be Olivia Spencer holding someone's hand. Somehow when no one was noticing, they're returned HOlivia to the freshness and innocence of adolescence. Now that, is a miraculous feat!

Posted by ahhiker at Tuesday, April 28 2009 10:00 AM

We are in soap opera heaven over on Guiding Light! We have many great storylines going on especially Otalia! The writers are outstanding! The cast is incredible especially Crystal Chappell and Jessica Leccia! Guiding Light still has a lot of light left in her!

Posted by Laurel67 at Tuesday, April 28 2009 10:02 AM

A note on Olivia (because I can't help myself). After watching a lot of Olivia backstory, it actually makes sense for me. Its clear that this really is a different kind of love for her (and not the one you all think!), but one that's coming from a deeper place that she hasn't ever allowed herself to go - yes, man-chasing is a also coping mechanism, and can be a deflection of other issues (in Liv that's been clearly at work).
    The irony of course is Liv saying that Nat has the bigger baggage, excuse me? have you looked at your past. ha, ha.
    But also these two already love each other (all that last year wasn't for naught) and that lays a different kind of groundwork for them as they take their relationship to a new place. So yes, they're so cute because love is at the base of their interactions, even if, whenever they get close to crossing over into their next phase, the fear of how it might change them (what will "us" look like), will start pouring out.
    There is a sweetness/gentleness in Liv that only Nat could find, and that part which could only really be seen in her interactions with Emma from her past - that place where her heart is open/unguarded. Seeing those Emma moments, and how she's been able to let her guard down with Natalia to date, tells me that this new Liv will make even more sense as the story progresses. A truly moving portrait of the ability of love to redeem us.

Posted by AShiraz at Tuesday, April 28 2009 10:05 AM

Big moments of the week were the Otalia hand-holding and the butterflies they gave me when they stood in that doorway with the bed saying "come here and mess up my sheets" in the background.

I cannot be the only one who heard the bed calling their names, can I? That bed is so ready for them - YOWL!

Posted by avidonfan at Tuesday, April 28 2009 10:09 AM

Love laurels observations!! Wish I could talk about Olivia and Nat's Romance all day long!

Posted by Kiran26 at Tuesday, April 28 2009 10:11 AM

Yes, Otalia was CUTE! After all that angst (I am sure we haven't seen the end of it), it was nice to see them openly look, flirt and be nervous around each other. Bizzie was super cute too!

Posted by loveoandn at Tuesday, April 28 2009 10:13 AM

Cute is an apt description of Olivia and Natalia last week.

Started off in a not good place with Olivia trying to assert that there is no "us" between them. But, Natalia stood her ground - good girl!!

How subversive is it that GL makes the church a sanctuary for Otalia's love? Kudos GL!

I agree, Matt. Otalia hand holding is intensely romantic.

There is trouble ahead for poor Dinah. I don't see it ending well with baby Henry and Shayne. I hope I am wrong.

Posted by Renville68 at Tuesday, April 28 2009 10:18 AM

Thanks for the recap Matt. Olivia and Natalia were simply adorable to watch from their awkwardness at dinner to the scene by Olivia's door. There has been a huge shift in the character of Olivia over the last number of months, but the writing has been so good for this storyline, that you understand how these changes have occured. The writing continues to be brilliant for the characters of Olivia and Natalia, and the actresses themselves keep blowing us away with their acting ability. The end scene of where they say goodnight was warm but yet so romantic..and if there's smouldering looks to be dished out, no better woman to do it than Crystal Chappell! Looking forward to the next steps they take in their relationship.

Posted by bound2love at Tuesday, April 28 2009 10:29 AM

Thanks, Matt, for the recap of last week's event and I love the description of Otalia as being "cute". They were beyond adorable and I love the writers showing the journey of the relationship and the hand holding and the gazes are amazing!