Guiding Light - NEWS ROOM

In our 'Guiding Light' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

Superheroes Come to Springfield

Tuesday, October 17 2006

(CBS)
    This season, there is something unexpected popping up on shelves: Comic books featuring your favorite characters from Guiding Light. This is a breakthrough in the history of both comics and soap operas. But when you think about it, it could be a match made in heaven. After all, evil twins, time travel, cloning, mysterious paternities and characters returning from the dead are all the stock and trade for both forms. In fact, writers for both comics and soaps have been pointing this out for quite awhile. These two genres serial storytelling can learn a lot from each other and already have.

This project has been in the works for some time. Executives at Procter and Gamble (CBS's parent company) have been meeting with members of the Marvel team for months. The project has been a labor of love for Jim McCann, who used to be in the daytime development program at ABC and was a writer for One Life to Live before heading over to Marvel as their Assistant Manager of Sales Communication. Even before this, GL. costume designer Shawn Dudley designed costumes for the wedding of comic character Storm in Black Panther #18. All of this crossover work is being buttressed with cross marketing between the show and the publications. These past few weeks have been the first time comics were advertised on television in a long time, something which the comics industry finds very exciting. There's hope that this relationship will become even more fruitful and lead to a cross-pollination of fans. Writers and producers on both sides have worked hard to be as faithful to the characters and their histories as possible. They know how fans demand nothing less than that.

The crossover will be happening on two fronts. For three consecutive weeks, from the 25th of October to the 8th of November, Marvel will be issuing several of their most popular titles containing 8 page stories featuring some of their most renowned superheroes and villains interacting with GL's most loved and despised. Meanwhile, on November 1st, the Inside the Light episode that week, will be called 'She's a Marvel.' It's been plotted out to be a logical opening for the interweaving of the two media. We can't give you any more details; that would ruin the surprise! We can tell you that it will be filled with references to Marvel comics and their characters, a move which has already begun on the show.

If you want more information on this exciting new crossover, visit Guiding Light's official website or the related Marvel Marvel site. Best of luck to everyone involved and thanks for a chance to see things in a whole new way!

Posted by Chrissi_Soaps.com at Tuesday, October 17 2006 11:28 AM

I love this!! This is really unique and sounds like a lot of fun!!

Posted by lesleyd at Tuesday, October 17 2006 12:42 PM

I dont understand when this will stop draging on. reava and josh.I agree dinah deserves to be happy with mallet. He loves her for who she is. But she also needs to stop screwing up the relationship.Harley ive always admired her and even more that she has my man gus by her side. i cant believe he is single in real life. please help the jonathon story tammy needs to find someone besides her cousin. thats gross! i really miss the old cassie. ive watched this show since the early 80s since my grandmother was here. and i cant not watch it. thanks to dvr i would be lost.

Posted by res6p at Tuesday, October 17 2006 01:50 PM

IS REEVA REALLY GOING TO DIE AGAIN? SHE DID DIE BEFORE, DIDN'T SHE? HER SISTER NEEDS TO GO GET ANOTHER LIFE! JOSHS KIDS AND HE NEED TO GET TOGETHER AND FIGURE OUT WHATS UP WITH REEVA REALLY!! CAN'T BELIEVE HE WOULD JUST BACK DOWN LIKE HE DID AND NOT PURSUE WHY HIS WIFE WAS ACTING LIKE SHE WAS. HE COULD HAVE HAD HER FOLLOWED. HIS BROTHER BILLY NEEDS TO SMARTEN UP TOO! TELL TAMMY AND HER MOM TO GO AWAY TOGETHER AND LET JONATHAN AND HIS WIFE ALONE WITH THIER NEW BABY TO BE. I HOPE REEVE IS NOT REALLY GONNA DIE.

Posted by blubears at Thursday, October 19 2006 08:26 AM

Wow! What an exciting new format for enjoying my favorite soap!
    Thanks for giving me this novel way of seeing Springfield's many characters...a way that I can take and enjoy anytime.
    This should be a real giggle.

Posted by Msayasane at Friday, October 20 2006 12:49 PM

wow! What are they doing? Comics?? I wonder how the story line is going to be? Is this away to attract new viewers to watching soaps? A new generation so to speak? I wonder!!

Posted by Msayasane at Friday, October 20 2006 12:58 PM

I feel the same way res6p, Reva is my favorite actress, I've watched her for over 15 years, they've killed her off more then once, the last time I stopped watching the show it made me so mad. I thought when this cancer bit started she was going to beat it now it looks like she's not. I really hope they don't. She is a big part of the old GL cast that I remember from years ago! I agree, DONT KILL REVA AGAIN!

Posted by SassyQ at Friday, October 20 2006 01:46 PM

Are you all trying to kill Reva off of the show BIG MISTAKE!!! She makes the show kill her sister off instead! Now Josh you are having him protray one undecisive man how cruel. Jon and Lizzie please that baby thing unbelieveable it should have never have happened. Now Remy is quite good looking WOW! Rick and his wife should never havee messed up they made a pair good one but it is getting boring really because like I said GET RID OF REVA YOU WILL HAVE NOTHING PAY HER WHAT SHE WANTS IF THAT IS THE CASE I PRAY REVA IS NOT REALLY SICK.

Posted by sumas at Wednesday, October 25 2006 11:06 AM

I wonder what ever happened to Roxy (reva's other sister). Reva never mentioned saying goodbye to Roxy. I know she went crazy, but she should have mentioned her if she was going to die. Also, When is Philip coming back. I know he has to come back soon.

Posted by YORKDOG4 at Monday, October 30 2006 01:20 PM

YOU WRITERS SCREWED UP WHEN YOU TOOK THE REAL CASSIE OFF, AND REPLACED HER WITH "BIMBO", SO GO AHEAD AND WRITE REVA OFF TOO, AND WATCH YOUR RATING!!!! I DARE YA

Posted by Khaki at Tuesday, October 31 2006 03:00 PM

Please do not kill Reva again....Send her off for some special treatment or something, but don't kill her off.