Guiding Light - NEWS ROOM

In our 'Guiding Light' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

February the 29th on Guiding Light

Tuesday, February 12 2008

(Soaps.com)
    The end of the month is quickly closing in. Soon we'll arrive at the much hyped date of February 29th. Not just a curious day because it only happens on a leap year, but because it will also be the date that Guiding Light fully dons the brave new look that's been promised. We've already told you about where the show will be shot (here), but since the future is where we're all going to be spending our time, as a psychic once joked, here's a little more information about the upcoming change which may be of interest.

Barbara Bloom, the senior Vice President of daytime programs at CBS has officially stated that the "...reality is that daytime shows are still a vitally important part of the network, but you have to look at the issue of audience erosion and take it seriously." And what is causing, or, at least, contributing to this erosion of the audience? "The way daytime looked was becoming a barrier in terms of bringing in new audiences," Bloom explained. The senior VP-managing director of Televest Daytime Programs, Brian T. Cahill, has cited research done by the production company which suggests that much of the TV audience has become disaffected with the traditional way of doing things. "Some of these soap opera production conventions were distracting for people, and it's because we live in an age where prime-time programming is very authentic," Cahill has stated. According to Neilsen numbers, Guiding Light has lost nearly half of its audience in the past decade and the soaps industry in general has been losing nearly five percent of its advertising cash per year for the past several years.

(Soaps.com)
    Some insiders have suggested that the new look for the show may not be as superficial as it sounds but will fundamentally change the way stories themselves are told. Traditionally, soaps have been shot with massive, and sometimes awkward, pedestal cameras which weigh upwards of three hundred pounds. This allowed for, and necessitated, carefully plotted and reserved distant shots. Such a shooting style has a remarkable impact on mood and pacing.

Now that the show is putting these one million dollar monster cameras behind them to grab a multitude of inexpensive handheld cameras, the show's entire feeling will change dramatically, more importantly the pacing of the show will change. We've already seen glimmers of this recently as the show has begun to move more rapidly while the careful framing of the past vanishes for unusual angles and kinetic movements which are meant to be more illustrative of the character's feelings and perspective. This thirst for gritty realism may also mean that we will continue to see the vanishing of what was once the show's strongest trait— it's frequently witty and literate writing, in favor of more colloquial and improvisational sounding dialog.

Posted by mom of 6 at Wednesday, February 13 2008 08:30 PM

Sounds great to me! I’m excited, just keep GL going.

Posted by Logle at Thursday, February 14 2008 10:26 AM

I've watched GL for looooong time, and I loved Frank and Eleni together!! When Maria Kanakaredes left, it all kind of went down hill. And.....if they don't give some of these terrific actors (including Bradley Cole) a storyline, I shall not watch this show at all....any more!

Posted by lynn81 at Friday, February 15 2008 02:34 PM

I think that Guiding Light needs to cast some new faces on the show. Along with their new look. When they had Jon on there full-time he brought a spark to the show. I feel that its time to go another way with alot of the storylines and cast.

Posted by jozye at Monday, February 18 2008 11:43 AM

Well, I have to say as of now just looking at the previews of the new "reality" filming I'm not sure I like it. One time it actually made me dizzy! Today's scene with Josh and Cassie at night on her porch was bad. The color wasn't there and it looked too dark. And I absolutely hated the scenes in Jeffrey's office every time they film in there, the lighting is so bad. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Posted by jsbecky at Tuesday, February 19 2008 02:13 PM

I want watch the show anymore either if Josh and Reva don't get back together. They just belong together. Not with the dense blond Cassie.

Posted by GrannieJoni at Wednesday, February 20 2008 01:49 PM

Well this hand held cameras are making me sick to my tummy with all the moving around and close up - count the pores on the face, close quarters - UGH! You call this better? Better re-think this. Outside shots you cannot HEAR the dialogue so what is new/better!!!!!!!!! You are losing fans due to STORY LINE and SUBJECT MATTER!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by GrannieJoni at Wednesday, February 20 2008 01:52 PM

So that old broken down paint peeling thing is Cassie's Farm? Get real! Edmond and Josh plus Hart all put lots of time and money into it - no way would it look that bad on the outside. Go back into the kitchen and use mounted cameras and let the actors do the talking!

Posted by GrannieJoni at Wednesday, February 20 2008 01:52 PM

Posted by Keaton at Friday, February 22 2008 10:00 AM

I do like the way, as in most movies, that the scenes are quick to go from one scene to another. This saves unnecessary scenes. I am really liking the new way. Sometimes, though , the sound is off a litle. For instance, it will get really low, then loud again. I agree that the farm house has shocked me. Josh would have had that house painted, as he was always doing something around the house. It looks very bad. The inside is nice.

Posted by sassymom75 at Sunday, February 24 2008 06:28 AM

I have watched GL for many years, and remember on summer break that being the one thing I couldn't wait to watch. I loved the original Eleni, I also loved the original Cassie, I feel like they cut out Prince Richard too soon, but also cut Jeffrey and Cassie too soon too, Cassie and Josh, WRONG!, I guess most of my problem is CASSIE., But I still Love GL, Keep Going.