Guiding Light - NEWS ROOM

In our 'Guiding Light' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

GL Finds its New Springfield

Tuesday, January 22 2008

(Soaps.com)
    Late last year, the people behind Guiding Light announced that there would be some major changes to the way that the show would look. This would include the type of cameras used and how scenes were shot and edited. Aiming for a more naturalistic feeling, and to appeal to a more youthful audience, the show's camera work may soon be largely hand held and the editing more rapid. We've already seen some instances of this, particularly on Wednesday "In the Light" episodes, like last week's featuring Harley in New York. While it may take awhile for this aspect of the show's new approach to gel effectively for viewers, another piece of the puzzle has just fallen into place.

This past week, the producers at Guiding Light were given something else they've been searching for — a place to create the Springfield they've been dreaming about. Soon, the generally unpopular stage sets that have served as Springfield may be vanishing into the distance. Peapack-Gladstone, a small and idyllically rural borough in New Jersey, will be the place that the much touted, "more realistic" version of the legendary soap town will be filmed. When scouting for locations, the show's production team reportedly fell completely in love with the town and the surrounding area. On Wednesday, January the 16th, the town council for the area approved TeleVest Daytime Programs Inc.'s request to shoot scenes in the area. Although the local council approved initial plans for filming in December, a few kinks still had to be worked out but the final approval on the deal is now sealed.

(Soaps.com)
    Filming is expected to commence as early as the end of the month and is contracted to go on for two years. Three buildings are being leased for use, including the Gladstone Tavern, Peapack Reformed Church and the Komline house, a Dutch Colonial-style home with 32 acres of woods. Local tennis courts and additional facilities in the town of less than 2,500 residents may also be used. During her meeting with the town council, producer Ellen Wheeler reportedly joked that she wished droves of paparazzi and fans would be showing up around filming, but no one seems to think that will be a problem.

Posted by jcrobinson at Tuesday, January 22 2008 07:44 AM

Wow, this is really cool. I'm jealous! Port Charles is portrayed mainly on a stage and downright laughable at times!

Posted by Shenandoahgal at Tuesday, January 22 2008 08:07 AM

Sounds like an interesting idea but how about trying to improve s/l's and quit repeating the same one over and over again. The writing on this show has gotten into a real rut. If things don't improve the show may be eating those 2 year leases as there won't be any need of them. GL used to be one of the best and is now at the bottom of the barrel. Wake up folks!!!

Posted by SndrElkins at Tuesday, January 22 2008 06:07 PM

Sounds good to me.After all these years i'm ready for a new look.GL RULES

Posted by adkins7488 at Wednesday, January 23 2008 02:52 PM

who in the world is singing in guiding light...i love it want to know who it is?

Posted by electa at Thursday, January 24 2008 05:07 AM

Am I the only one that thinks the new camera angles look sort of cheap?

Posted by torice1995 at Thursday, January 24 2008 04:42 PM

I THINK THE CAMERA WORK ON WEDNESDAY'S IS HORRIBLE! BAD, BAD, BAD! I HATE THOSE SHOWS. I CAN'T EVEN WATCH THEM SOMETIMES! I LIKE THE "PROFESSIONAL" CAMERA WORK MUCH, MUCH BETTER

Posted by sarha at Thursday, January 24 2008 08:41 PM

i do like the new settings in the show and agree the camera shots did make it look like a cheap shot the actors looked like they were beginners on a set that they were out of place with them looking like someone had a cam corder recording a home movie. now if they had the regular cams ouside the footage probably would of made them look more professional actors. im just glad that tom came back thats all i was interested in and now if they keep him on the set thats what i want and for them to bring back stephanie

Posted by leecappella at Saturday, January 26 2008 12:37 PM

Well, yes, the camera work seems now a bit amateurish. A bit. But if they are hand held cameras, I don't think anyone can hold a camera 100% still. No one here even:) It's part of the budget I guess. It's a price we true fans have to pay if we want to see GL on the air. Other shows may soon follow, so.... I like the outside shots, but it's the camera that seems out of focus for a sec and then it comes back into focus. Then, sometimes the shots of the actors are too close. Maybe eventually, we will come to love the somewhat realistic element of this new beginning for the 71 year old soap. What's the name of that MTV show with the teens on it that lots of kids love to watch? Is it still on? The Hills? But they don't use hand held cameras, do they? Oh, well. I say if you TRULY love GL, you will watch. You may be surprised. The cast and crew are probably learning a new thing and it may improve as the year goes on. It does look better than I thought it would, so I will be tuning in.

Posted by MichaelKevinFan70 at Monday, January 28 2008 07:48 AM

I also think the "live" camera work off stage looks like a B or even C movie. It is unprofessional, my 16 shoots better than that.

Posted by Lucyb at Thursday, March 13 2008 06:59 PM

I've been watching GL before the soap went to an hour show, and I have never waivered in my dedication to watching the show. With this said, I miss the great storylines and dynamic twists of years' past. Everything seems to be so predictable. I'm really trying to get used to the new format. I like being able to see a real town and real buildings, but I hate the hand held shots, and odd angles. Your fans are not ready for this kind of soap opera.