List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Guiding Light - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: Guiding Light Forum :: Guiding Lights fans cooking...

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Guiding Lights fans cooking...

Started by Rosie Butterface at 2009/07/29 06:12AM
    Latest post: 2014/02/22 03:00PM, Views: 21183, Replies: 178
    « 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 » »| page:
    #61   2009/10/13 01:09PM
    Re: Guiding Lights fans cooking...
    calliope

Quote Rosie Butterface:
    Quote Bizzie Fan: Rosie Butter, I have really enjoyed your recepies and the names that you have given them. When and if I get out of my state sadness from still missing GL, I am going to give some of them a try. Please give us more. Being a Bizzie Fan, do you have one that would fit Bizzie? Thanks!

This Bizzie is for you! I hope it fits to your likens!
    Bizzie’s Oklahoma Nut Candy
    This is a recipe I found online—never tried it, but plan too. It is a old time candy, use a heavy pan to melt the sugar. This recipe was noted to have been first published in December 1936, a little before GL begin on radio. I wonder how many made this sitting around the radio listening to GL--I bet a lot! It was published in The Daily Oklahoman. Many in Oklahoma called it “Aunt Bill’s Brown Candy.” I hope it fits the Bizzies request. It was from Oklahoma, like the Lewis family is from. I could see Bill playing dress up with Sara, so the Aunt Bill could be in there for good reason--only play cross dressing. It is also very rich and full of nuts,---which covers the Spauldings side. So, adding the two up, you have, “Bizzie’s Oklahoma Nut Candy.” With Christmas around the corner, this would be a good one. I would say try it first. I am not a good candy cooking person, I like to bake more, but I know homemade candy can be tricky!!
    Here we go:
    6 C. white sugar, divided
    2C. heavy cream
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ½ C. butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 pounds peacan halves or pieces
    Butter a 9X13 inch pan and a medium(do not go small on this—size does count) heavy saucepan. In the buttered saucepan, combine 4 cups sugar and the cream. Have ready. In a large heavy skillet over medium heat, pout the remaining 2 cups sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar begins to melt. Place the saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. Continue to cook and stir the sugar in the skillet until it is completely melted and light brown. Pour the melted sugar very slowly, in a thin stream, into the lightly simmering cream, stirring constantly (This step may take five minutes, and works best if someone strong pours the melted sugar v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.). Heat now, without stirring, to 242 to 248 degrees F (116 to 120 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a firm but pliable ball. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda (mixture will foam). Drop the butter into the foaming mixture and let rest without stirring 30 minutes. Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon and continue to stir vigorously until mixture loses its gloss, 10 to 15 minutes. Then fold in pecans and quickly turn candy into the prepared 9x13 inch dish. Let cool until just warm and cut in 1 inch pieces.

"Stir vigorously until mixture loses its gloss". Sounds like the fudge my mother made. She would beat and beat that fudge until it wasn't shiny anymore. Best creamy fudge ever, chocolate or peanut butter marshmallow. I have the recipes but darned if I can beat that fudge like she did. My arms about fall off!

#62   2009/10/13 01:34PM
    Rosie Butter...

Quote calliope:
    Quote Rosie Butterface:
    Quote Bizzie Fan: Rosie Butter, I have really enjoyed your recepies and the names that you have given them. When and if I get out of my state sadness from still missing GL, I am going to give some of them a try. Please give us more. Being a Bizzie Fan, do you have one that would fit Bizzie? Thanks!

This Bizzie is for you! I hope it fits to your likens!
    Bizzie’s Oklahoma Nut Candy
    This is a recipe I found online—never tried it, but plan too. It is a old time candy, use a heavy pan to melt the sugar. This recipe was noted to have been first published in December 1936, a little before GL begin on radio. I wonder how many made this sitting around the radio listening to GL--I bet a lot! It was published in The Daily Oklahoman. Many in Oklahoma called it “Aunt Bill’s Brown Candy.” I hope it fits the Bizzies request. It was from Oklahoma, like the Lewis family is from. I could see Bill playing dress up with Sara, so the Aunt Bill could be in there for good reason--only play cross dressing. It is also very rich and full of nuts,---which covers the Spauldings side. So, adding the two up, you have, “Bizzie’s Oklahoma Nut Candy.” With Christmas around the corner, this would be a good one. I would say try it first. I am not a good candy cooking person, I like to bake more, but I know homemade candy can be tricky!!
    Here we go:
    6 C. white sugar, divided
    2C. heavy cream
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ½ C. butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 pounds peacan halves or pieces
    Butter a 9X13 inch pan and a medium(do not go small on this—size does count) heavy saucepan. In the buttered saucepan, combine 4 cups sugar and the cream. Have ready. In a large heavy skillet over medium heat, pout the remaining 2 cups sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar begins to melt. Place the saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. Continue to cook and stir the sugar in the skillet until it is completely melted and light brown. Pour the melted sugar very slowly, in a thin stream, into the lightly simmering cream, stirring constantly (This step may take five minutes, and works best if someone strong pours the melted sugar v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.). Heat now, without stirring, to 242 to 248 degrees F (116 to 120 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a firm but pliable ball. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda (mixture will foam). Drop the butter into the foaming mixture and let rest without stirring 30 minutes. Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon and continue to stir vigorously until mixture loses its gloss, 10 to 15 minutes. Then fold in pecans and quickly turn candy into the prepared 9x13 inch dish. Let cool until just warm and cut in 1 inch pieces.

"Stir vigorously until mixture loses its gloss". Sounds like the fudge my mother made. She would beat and beat that fudge until it wasn't shiny anymore. Best creamy fudge ever, chocolate or peanut butter marshmallow. I have the recipes but darned if I can beat that fudge like she did. My arms about fall off!

I'm good at beating some things, but fudge/candy I am not good with. Oh, before ya all get your minds in the gutter or wanting to call CPS---I can beat an egg rather well!:):)

#63   2009/10/14 06:19AM
    Rosie Butter...

Marina’s Company Coffee Cake. Since she is a new mom, time is not on her side, this is fairly easy to make. Plus, it would be really good served at Company and have a big cup of coffee—no lattes, just coffee (maybe some cream too). Since so many from the police department are there, this cake would be a good replacement to doughnuts! It is gray and cold here in the mid-west, so if it is cold where you are—like in Springfield, this would be great on a cold day!
    1Yellow Cake mix
    1 small box of instant butter pecan pudding mix
    ¾ C. water
    ¾ C. oil
    1 tsp. butter flavoring
    1tsp. vanilla
    4 eggs
    ¼ C. sugar
    2 tsp. cinnamon
    Mix cake mix, pudding mix, water, oil, vanilla and butter flavoring together. Add eggs, one at a time and mix 8 minutes. This makes for a thick gooey batter. Put one have of the batter in a jelly roll pan. Sprinkle with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Add rest of the batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and while still hot, drizzle with frosting glaze.
    Glaze-this is sugary and sweet, like Henry.
    1C. powdered sugar
    1tsp. vanilla
    1 tsp . butter flavoring
    6 tsp. milk
    Mix ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over hot cake.

#64   2009/10/15 05:04PM
    merrymary

Father Ray's favorite recipe

Take a cup of kindness,
    mix it well with love,
    Add a lot of patience
    and faith in God above,
    Sprinkle very generously
    with joy and thanks and cheer
    And you'll have lots of ANGEL FOOD
    to feast on all the year.

#65   2009/10/16 11:27AM
    Rosie Butter...

Bea Readon's Irish Soda Bread---I can see(in my mind) Bea making this with Nola, Jim, Tony, Maureen, Chelsea and Sean sitting around the table eating while Mom Bea was hard at work--like all moms. This would be a easy recipe and part of their Irish background. I have a little Irish in me, but not enough to eat rasins.
    5 C. all purpose flour
    1C. sugar
    1Tbl. baking powder
    1Teas. baking soda
    1 1/2 Teas. salt
    1/2 C(1 stick) cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces
    2 1/2 C. raisins
    3 Tabl. Caraway seed
    1/2 C. buttermilk
    1 egg
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9X5 loaf pans. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter using two knives or a pastry blender until mixture is the texure of cornmeal. Add raisins and caraway seeds and mix well. Add buttermilk and egg and stir until just blended. Divide batter evenly in both pans. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until golden. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from the pans to cool completely.

#66   2009/10/16 11:30AM
    Rosie Butter...

Quote merrymary: Father Ray's favorite recipe

Take a cup of kindness,
    mix it well with love,
    Add a lot of patience
    and faith in God above,
    Sprinkle very generously
    with joy and thanks and cheer
    And you'll have lots of ANGEL FOOD
    to feast on all the year.

Perfect Merrymary! I was just thinking I need to get out one of my church cookbooks and find and recipe like this. Most church and community cookbooks have one and this is perfect here!! Thanks!!

#67   2009/10/19 09:07AM
    Rosie Butter...

Carrie Todd Mahrler’s Coffee-Glazed Nuts. Carrie and Ross was in love, but as happens often in Springfield, she was not that stable—mentally speaking. She made Ross much softer and more likeable.
    2 T. hot water
    1 ½ tea. Instant coffee granules
    ¼ C. sugar
    1 T. hones or light corn syrup
    ½ tea. Kosher salt
    3 C. whole mixed nuts(such as walnuts, pecans and almonds)
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil. Combine water and coffee in medium sauce pan; stir until dissolved. Stir in sugar, honey, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium high hear, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in nuts until completely coated. Spread in single layer over prepared baking sheet. Bake for 5 minutes then stir. Bake for an additional 10 minutes, stirring halfway through bake time. Cool completely on baking sheet. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container. Can be made up to 1 week in advance.

#68   2009/10/22 07:40PM
    Rosie Butter...

Kevin Bacon’s Rolls—I saw Footloose last night on T.V. I remember may dad let me have the car. My younger sister and I drove into town(farm girls) and went to this movie. I remember went to the movies, as I loved KB when he played Tim McIntrye. I felt he made such a big mistake leaving GL, but I guess he has done ok. No matter what I see him or other GL alumi, I think of GL. This recipe is Piragi, which is a Latvian Bacon Roll, of which my husband mum is from Latvia and made these when I was pregnant with my first child and loved them. Let’s Hear it for the GL BOYS!
    Ingredients:
    1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
    1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon dry yeast
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    5 to 6 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened

Filling:
    4 slices bacon
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 pound fully cooked ham steak, diced in 1/4-inch cubes (2 cups)
    1 teaspoon caraway seeds
    1 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste

Glaze:
    1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water
    Directions:
    In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1 tablespoon sugar in 1/2 cup of the water; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining sugar, salt, and 2 1/2 cups of the flour. Cut in the butter, then add the yeast mixture and remaining water. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.

Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until it is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place the dough in a large greased bowl, turning to grease the top, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until double in size, about 1 1/2 hours. Prepare the filling while dough is rising.

Filling: In a small pan over medium heat, cook the bacon. Drain it, chop, and set aside. Saute the onion in the butter until it is soft, but not brown. Add the ham, stirring until it's combined with the onion. Stir in the caraway, pepper and bacon, and remove from heat.

Assembly: Punch the dough down and divide it into four pieces. Working with one piece at a time (cover the remaining pieces with plastic wrap) roll each piece of dough into a 1/8-inch thick circle. If the dough "fights back" give it a 5-minute rest, and resume rolling. Use a cookie cutter to cut the dough into 2 3/4-inch rounds. Place 1 teaspoon of the filling mixture into the center of each round, fold in half (to make a half moon shape) and pinch the edges closed.

Place the piragi on greased or parchment-lined cookie sheets, rotating them so that the seam-side is down. Shape them into crescents, and brush with the egg wash. Bake the piragi in a preheated 375 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and cool on a wire rack.

#69   2009/10/26 06:42PM
    Rosie Butter...

This is for the new mommies on the board. JizzieFan19 and Lizzie/Marcy Rylan both had precious little boys this week—Congrats!!! Here is a recipe on how to make homemade baby wipes. I am not sure for a new mom if this is something that would save time, but found this and felt it was perfect for this spot!!
    Boil 2 C. of water and let cool. While the water is cooling, cut one roll of paper towels in half with a knife(be careful). Use half of the paper towels and take out the core so wipes can pull out through the center of the container. Mix water, baby oil and baby wash. Put Paper towels in container. Pour the mixture over the paper towels and then let set for ten minutes. Turn the wipes over to insure even distribution of mixture.

#70   2009/10/26 06:43PM
    Rosie Butter...

Since I added a recipe for the new moms, I felt it would be good to add for the older kid too! This would be a recipe I bet Natalia would make and play with Emma with. I have done this before, but have a hard time playing with it, as I like to just eat it. I guess that is why it is for kids
    1 c. peanut butter
    2/3-1 c. nonfat dry milk
    2 tbsp. honey
    Mix ingredients. Add enough powdered milk to make playdough dry enough to handle. Shape into balls. Add raisins to make a face. Or stir in chow mein noodles and make a bird's nest. Or stir in Cheerios or chocolate chips for fun. My boys like to drive cars and trucks through it.

« 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list