List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Guiding Light - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: Guiding Light Forum :: Guiding Lights fans cooking...

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Guiding Lights fans cooking...

Started by Rosie Butterface at 2009/07/29 06:12AM
    Latest post: 2014/02/22 03:00PM, Views: 22114, Replies: 178
    « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » »| page:
    #51   2009/09/30 04:43PM
    Re: Guiding Lights fans cooking...
    Mrs.JamesSpa...

Mallet's Mile-High-Chocolate-Pie

1/2 c Cocoa; baking
    1/2 c Hot water
    2 ts Baking soda
    1/2 c Vegetable shortening
    2 c Sugar
    2 ea Eggs; large
    2 ts Vanilla extract
    2 1/2 c Flour; unbleached, sifted
    1 c Buttermilk
    Cocoa Frosting:
    1/2 c Butter or regular margarine
    1 oz Baking chocolate
    1 lb Confectioners' sugar; sifted
    1 ea Egg white; large
    1 ts Vanilla extract
    1 ts Lemon juice
    3 tb Milk

Modified 5 times(s), last time at: 2009/09/30 04:48PM
    #52   2009/10/09 10:33AM
    Rosie Butter...

Springfield Police Buster Bar Desserts: It seems only if you are in jail in SF you get really good food from company. So, if you are like Cyrus, and many other residents of SF, this is what you want if you are busted and put behind bars for a long time. Maybe a file would fit into it too!
    ½ pkg. Oreo Cookies, crushed
    2T. sugar
    1/3 C. butter/margarine, melted
    2C. powdered sugar
    12 oz. can evaporated milk
    2/3 C. chocolate Chips
    ½ C. butter/margarine
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 ½ C salted red peanuts
    ½ gallon vanilla ice cream
    Combine Oreos, sugar and 1/3 C. butter or margarine. Spread as a crust in bottom of 9X13 inch pan. Mix powdered sugar, evaporated milk, chocolate chips and ½ c. butter in sauce pan. Boil for 8 minutes, stirring constantly(will scorch and that is a real pain!!). Add Vanilla and cool. While this is cooling, spread the peanuts over crust mixture, then spread the ice cream over the peanuts. Pour cooled topping over ice cream. Add a few crushed peanuts if desired. Freeze overnight.

#53   2009/10/10 05:52PM
    Rosie Butter...

Patrick Cutter’s Kolaches. Cutter was hot on the trail of cross-dressing serial killer Brent Lawrence [aka Marian Crane] when said cross-dressing serial killer bumped him off with a knife in the chest. I am not sure how Cutter and Kolaches pull together. Since Cutter was dating Marion, who was really Brent, Mr. Lawrence had a lot of changes and choices of clothes. You have a lot of fillings you can use for the Kolaches!!! A stretch, I know!!!!!

2 pkg. yeast
    ½ C. warm water
    1C. hot milk
    2/3 lard (oh, the good ol’ days)
    ½ C. sugar
    1 ½ tsp. salt
    2C. mashed potatoes
    3 eggs, beaten
    3 ½-4C. flour
    Soften yeast n the warm water (not too hot, it will kill the yeast)-set aside. Pour hot milk into a large bowl over sugar, lard and salt. Stir until lard melts, then stir in potatoes, egg and cool to luke warm. Add yeast, stir in about half of flour, and beat until batter is smooth and satiny. Put in rest of flour and mix until smooth. Let rise until about double. Make into balls, put on pan and let rise. Make dents in the center and fill with your favorite fruit (some use a nice fruity jelly). Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or till golden brown on center rack.

Instead of fruit filling, you can use Poppy Seed Filling
    1C. ground poppy seed
    3T. white syrup
    1 ½ C. milk
    ¾ C. Sugar
    1/8 tsp. salt
    2T. butter
    1 ½ T flour
    1 tsp. vanilla
    Cook together for 5 minutes the ground poppy seed, white syrup, milk, sugar and salt. Then sprinkle flour over mixture stirring until smooth and cook 5 more minutes. Add vanilla and cool.

#54   2009/10/10 08:15PM
    Bizzie Fan

Quote lovenoah: Someone suggested that I move this here.

This is a recipe that Michael O'Leary (Rick) sent out several years ago.

The Bauer Burger

1. "Get 2 pounds of ground sirloin, then mix in some garlic, pepper, salt and 3 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce."

2. "Make a whole bunch of real thin hamburger patties."

3. "Chop up some onion and put it on top of the first patty. Then put a slice of American or mozzarella cheese on top. Then grill some mushrooms and put them on top of the cheese. Then cover the whole thing with another patty."

4. "Using a fork, work the edges of the patties until they're sutured
    together. Please note my use of the medical term 'suture.' Thank you."

5. "Barbecue the double patties over a low flame. That takes a little
    longer, but it's worth it. They're fabulous."
    I just now read this recepie. I have really fixed these burgers before. They are good! Like it says, you have to cook them a bit longer, but is worth the time. My boys thought that I had lost my mind when I told them that we were having Bauer Burgers one night. What do they know?

#55   2009/10/11 11:42AM
    Rosie Butter...

Springfield's Beefy Slow Cooking Men----Hot, steamy, sometimes take awhile to get done, but worth the wait!!! Great for those cold days. Oh, makes me want Phillip keeping me warm in a snow storm!!!
    4 pounds beef chuck roast
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 tablespoon dried rosemary
    3 bay leaves
    1 cup soy sauce
    6 cups water
    DIRECTIONS
    1.Place roast in slow cooker. Season with garlic, rosemary, and bay leaves. Pour in soy sauce and water. Cook on low setting for 6 to 10 hours. Unlike most roasts, the longer the better.

#56   2009/10/12 11:12AM
    Bizzie Fan

Rosie Butter, I have really enjoyed your recepies and the names that you have given them. When and if I get out of my state sadness from still missing GL, I am going to give some of them a try. Please give us more. Being a Bizzie Fan, do you have one that would fit Bizzie? Thanks!

#57   2009/10/12 01:36PM
    calliope

Rosie, I was sorry to see you had the flu. I hope the whole family is symptom free now. Take Care.
    I will try to come up with some more recipes. You have been working hard on this. It's appreciated.

#58   2009/10/13 08:18AM
    Rosie Butter...

Quote calliope: Rosie, I was sorry to see you had the flu. I hope the whole family is symptom free now. Take Care.
    I will try to come up with some more recipes. You have been working hard on this. It's appreciated.

Thanks for the well wishes. The good news is that I do no have to take a hubby and 4 kids in the the shot since we have had it! I will keep the recipes going. I like to think of someone in Springfield cooking in the old Bauer kitchen. Maybe Michelle now the she and family moved back. I loved that kitchen and wanted(still do) just like it! Take care of you!

#59   2009/10/13 08:21AM
    Rosie Butter...

Quote Bizzie Fan: Rosie Butter, I have really enjoyed your recepies and the names that you have given them. When and if I get out of my state sadness from still missing GL, I am going to give some of them a try. Please give us more. Being a Bizzie Fan, do you have one that would fit Bizzie? Thanks!

This Bizzie is for you! I hope it fits to your likens!
    Bizzie’s Oklahoma Nut Candy
    This is a recipe I found online—never tried it, but plan too. It is a old time candy, use a heavy pan to melt the sugar. This recipe was noted to have been first published in December 1936, a little before GL begin on radio. I wonder how many made this sitting around the radio listening to GL--I bet a lot! It was published in The Daily Oklahoman. Many in Oklahoma called it “Aunt Bill’s Brown Candy.” I hope it fits the Bizzies request. It was from Oklahoma, like the Lewis family is from. I could see Bill playing dress up with Sara, so the Aunt Bill could be in there for good reason--only play cross dressing. It is also very rich and full of nuts,---which covers the Spauldings side. So, adding the two up, you have, “Bizzie’s Oklahoma Nut Candy.” With Christmas around the corner, this would be a good one. I would say try it first. I am not a good candy cooking person, I like to bake more, but I know homemade candy can be tricky!!
    Here we go:
    6 C. white sugar, divided
    2C. heavy cream
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ½ C. butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 pounds peacan halves or pieces
    Butter a 9X13 inch pan and a medium(do not go small on this—size does count) heavy saucepan. In the buttered saucepan, combine 4 cups sugar and the cream. Have ready. In a large heavy skillet over medium heat, pout the remaining 2 cups sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar begins to melt. Place the saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. Continue to cook and stir the sugar in the skillet until it is completely melted and light brown. Pour the melted sugar very slowly, in a thin stream, into the lightly simmering cream, stirring constantly (This step may take five minutes, and works best if someone strong pours the melted sugar v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.). Heat now, without stirring, to 242 to 248 degrees F (116 to 120 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a firm but pliable ball. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda (mixture will foam). Drop the butter into the foaming mixture and let rest without stirring 30 minutes. Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon and continue to stir vigorously until mixture loses its gloss, 10 to 15 minutes. Then fold in pecans and quickly turn candy into the prepared 9x13 inch dish. Let cool until just warm and cut in 1 inch pieces.

#60   2009/10/13 11:53AM
    Bizzie Fan

Quote Rosie Butterface:
    Quote Bizzie Fan: Rosie Butter, I have really enjoyed your recepies and the names that you have given them. When and if I get out of my state sadness from still missing GL, I am going to give some of them a try. Please give us more. Being a Bizzie Fan, do you have one that would fit Bizzie? Thanks!

This Bizzie is for you! I hope it fits to your likens!
    Bizzie’s Oklahoma Nut Candy
    This is a recipe I found online—never tried it, but plan too. It is a old time candy, use a heavy pan to melt the sugar. This recipe was noted to have been first published in December 1936, a little before GL begin on radio. I wonder how many made this sitting around the radio listening to GL--I bet a lot! It was published in The Daily Oklahoman. Many in Oklahoma called it “Aunt Bill’s Brown Candy.” I hope it fits the Bizzies request. It was from Oklahoma, like the Lewis family is from. I could see Bill playing dress up with Sara, so the Aunt Bill could be in there for good reason--only play cross dressing. It is also very rich and full of nuts,---which covers the Spauldings side. So, adding the two up, you have, “Bizzie’s Oklahoma Nut Candy.” With Christmas around the corner, this would be a good one. I would say try it first. I am not a good candy cooking person, I like to bake more, but I know homemade candy can be tricky!!
    Here we go:
    6 C. white sugar, divided
    2C. heavy cream
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ½ C. butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 pounds peacan halves or pieces
    Butter a 9X13 inch pan and a medium(do not go small on this—size does count) heavy saucepan. In the buttered saucepan, combine 4 cups sugar and the cream. Have ready. In a large heavy skillet over medium heat, pout the remaining 2 cups sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar begins to melt. Place the saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. Continue to cook and stir the sugar in the skillet until it is completely melted and light brown. Pour the melted sugar very slowly, in a thin stream, into the lightly simmering cream, stirring constantly (This step may take five minutes, and works best if someone strong pours the melted sugar v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.). Heat now, without stirring, to 242 to 248 degrees F (116 to 120 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a firm but pliable ball. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda (mixture will foam). Drop the butter into the foaming mixture and let rest without stirring 30 minutes. Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon and continue to stir vigorously until mixture loses its gloss, 10 to 15 minutes. Then fold in pecans and quickly turn candy into the prepared 9x13 inch dish. Let cool until just warm and cut in 1 inch pieces.
    Rosie Butter, Glad that you and your family are doing better. Thank you so much for the Bizzie's Oklahoma Nut Candy recepie. I love to bake and make home-made candy. My husband usually helps me stir when I am baking so I will let him pour the melted sugar. Thanks again and take care.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list