List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Guiding Light - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: Guiding Light Forum :: Guiding Lights fans cooking...

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Guiding Lights fans cooking...

Started by Rosie Butterface at 2009/07/29 06:12AM
    Latest post: 2014/02/22 03:00PM, Views: 22462, Replies: 178
    « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » »| page:
    #21   2009/08/06 04:33PM
    Re: Guiding Lights fans cooking...
    Dagmar

BETH'S CHOCOLATE CAKE

This recipe was donated to the Soap Opera Digest by GL's Beth Chamberlin. She said: "'I got the recipe from my great friend and fabulous cook ...'"

3 cups flour
    1 1/2 tsps vanilla
    2 cups sugar
    2 Tbsps white vinegar
    6 hefty Tbsps cocoa
    3/4 cup canola oil
    1 tsp salt
    2 cups water
    2 tsps baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Mix together dry ingredients.
    Make a hole in center and add remaining ingredients.
    Pour into 10-inch tube or Bundt pan. Bake for 50 minutes.
    Serve as is, sprinkle it with powdered sugar or make your favorite frosting for it.

#22   2009/08/07 06:58AM
    Rosie Butter...

Billy's On Your Face Apple Pie(Billy loves his pie, and he can eat if while on the wagon!!)

5C. thinly sliced apples 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    3T. flour 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    3/4 c. white sugar butter
    1/2 c. brown sugar 3/4 water
    pinch sault

Mix together flour, white and brown sugar, sault, nutmeg and cinnamon(I like to add more nutmeg and ginger too--play to taste). Mix in apples and put in a uncooked pie shell. Put 5 pats of butter on top of apples and the 3/4 c. of water. Put your crust on and bake 1 hour at 350 degrees. I add extra apples, so sometimes cook a little longer. I come from a family of great cooks, pies being their top to make. I inherited my dad's long legs instead of the ability to cook like his sisters. But this one makes me proud---I have yet to make the perfect pie crust like my grandma. Billy would need a lot of napkins with this one!

#23   2009/08/08 08:27AM
    Rosie Butter...

Sara's Sour Cream Ham Skillet(Sara, Reva's mom, had a lot in life that could have made her sour. Also, so was H.B.'s housekeeper, so she was alway cooking for the Lewis and her own crew--which kids can eat like pigs).

5C. cooked ham strips or cubes
    2T. drippings
    3T. flour
    2tsp. dry mustard
    1 chicken bouillon cube
    2C. hot water
    1C. sour cream
    1 pkg. (8oz) noodles cooked-My aunt makes this w/ homemade noodles

Brown ham in drippings(oil), then add flour and mustard--blend. Dissolve bouillon cube in hot water; add to ham. Stir and cook until think and pour over noodles.

PS Did you know that Sara's maiden name was O'Neal!!!! And now Reva's last name is O'Neal!!

#24   2009/08/08 09:19AM
    Dagmar

FANCY GreenBeans ..............................

(Anything below FANCY was beneath the standard of Springfield until lately when they all started to dress like lower class and live in houses that looked like they were on the poor side of the neighborhood)...............................................
    2 Tbsp teriyaki sauce
    1 Tbsp honey
    1 Tbsp butter
    1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
    1 & 1/2 pounds fresh green beans
    2 slices bacon
    1/2 cup red bell pepper strips
    1/2 cup whole cashews

In a small bowl, stir together the teriyaki sauce, honey, and butter. Fill a bowl with cold water and ice cubes.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the lemon juice. Drop in the beans and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until beans are bright green. Drain the beans in a colander and then plunge them into the iced water. Drain again and set aside.
    In a skillet, cook the bacon until very crispy, crumble and set aside. Saute the bell pepper and onion in the hot bacon fat for 2 minutes. Add the beans, cashews, and bacon to the skillet. Add the teriyaki-honey sauce and toss gently.

#25   2009/08/11 07:45PM
    Rosie Butter...

Jesse Blue(berry) Cream Cheese Dessert---Has a lot of heart into it.
    Crust:
    1 C. chopped pecans 1 C. flour
    ½ C. butter, melted
    Filling:
    8 ounces of cream cheese, softened 1 C. powdered sugar
    8 ounces Cool Whip
    Topping:
    4 C. blueberries, fresh or frozen 1 C. sugar, divided
    3T. cornstarch ¼ C. water
    Combine crust ingredients; spread in a 9X13 inch pan and cook for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Let it cool. Cream together the cream cheese and powdered sugar. Then fold in the cool whip and spread over cooled crust. Combine ½ C. sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add water then 2 C. of the blueberries. Cook over medium heat—stirring constantly, until thickened and translucent(see through). Crush some of the blueberries as they cook. Remove from heat and add remaining sugar and blueberries. Cool. Spread over the cream cheese filling and chill.

#26   2009/08/12 07:27PM
    Rosie Butter...

margaRITA Bauer Party Pie(Rita liked to party> I sure hope she did not make this pie when she and Ed were married. I was told to buy tequlia that is Silver quality---less likly to make a come back appearence if you do some shots. Oh, the good ol' days.

1 1/2 cup crushed pretzels
    1/4 cup sugar
    2/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
    14 ounces can sweetened condensed milk
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    2 cups tequila
    4 tablespoons triple sec
    1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries, chopped
    2 cups whipped cream
    food coloring
    Mix crushed pretzels, margarine, and sugar. Press into the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan, also coat the sides. In a bowl mix tequila, triple sec, sweetened condensed milk, and lime.

Pour half of the mixture in another bowl. Add strawberries and a few drops of red food coloring to one half. Fold in 1 cup whipped cream. To another half, add only a drop or two of yellow food coloring and 1 cup whipped cream.

Spoon into crust, alternating colors. Freeze for 4 hours or overnight

#27   2009/08/17 07:56AM
    Rosie Butter...

Roger Thrope Devil's Food Cake---To eat this is a sin you will enjoy---much like watching Roger/MZ in action!!!

INGREDIENTS
    1 (18.25 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
    1/2 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    6 ounces caramel ice cream topping
    3 (1.4 ounce) bars chocolate covered toffee, chopped
    1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
    Add to Recipe Box
    My folders:
    Add to Shopping List
    Customize Recipe
    Add a Personal Note
    ..DIRECTIONS
    1.Bake cake according to package directions for a 9x13 inch pan; cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Make slits across the top of the cake, making sure not to go through to the bottom.
    2.In a saucepan over low heat, combine sweetened condensed milk and caramel topping, stirring until smooth and blended. Slowly pour the warm topping mixture over the top of the warm cake, letting it sink into the slits; then sprinkle the crushed chocolate toffee bars liberally across the entire cake while still warm. (Hint: I crush my candy bars into small chunks as opposed to crumbs - I like to have pieces I can chew on!)
    3.Let cake cool completely, then top with whipped topping. Decorate the top of the cake with some more chocolate toffee bar chunks and swirls of caramel topping. Refrigerate and serve right from the pan!

#28   2009/08/18 02:39PM
    Rosie Butter...

Guiding Light's Patato Chips Cookies( Once you had one episode, you cannot stop. Also, how all of us fans will be after 9-18---CRUSHED like potato chips).
    1 c. butter
    1/2 c. sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 c. crushed potato chips
    1/2 c. pecan pieces
    2 c. flour

Cream together first 3 ingredients. Mix in rest of ingredients. Take about a teaspoon of mixture for a cookie. Mash a bit with a spoon that has been wet and dipped in sugar. Bake about 12 minutes at 350 degrees. Makes about 5 dozen.

#29   2009/08/19 02:49PM
    Rosie Butter...

Nat's Bunza in the Oven(It is really an knock off of the Runza Sandwich, but the Runza people in Nebraska get grumpy when small mom and pops shop use Runza, so the call them Bunzas. Bunza--well Nat has a bun in her oven. However, GL's main characters in the begining--the Bauers were noted to be a middle class German immigrant family. The Runza was brought over from the German-Russia families coming to the USA during WWII. So, this maybe something Bill, Trudy and Meta had eaten growing up. Bill later married Bert, so maybe she learned to make them for Mike and Ed).

2 lbs ground beef 4 C. chopped cabbage
    1 Can of cream of Mushroom soup 2 tubes of crescent rolls
    mild cheddar cheese 1/4 C. chopped onion
    1 1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 pepper

Brown beef, onion, salt and pepper. Drain. Add cabbage and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in soup. Grease 9X13 pan. Layer pan with one tube of crescent rolls. Add beef cabbage mix. Sprinkle with cheese. Then cover with remaining tube of rolls. Bake at 350 degrees fro 30 minuthes. I sometimes use two tubes of pizza dough. Often I do not add the soup and throw in brown gravy mix--no water.

#30   2009/08/22 12:04PM
    Rosie Butter...

Maureen's Angel Foods Cake(In memory of Maureen Bauer, who should have never been killed off, but was an angel on earth as well as heaven). I would have loved to be cooking in the old Bauer Kitchen!!

3/4 cups sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup cake flour, sifted
    12 egg whites (the closer to room temperature the better)
    1/3 cup warm water
    1 teaspoon orange extract
    1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor spin sugar about 2 minutes until it is superfine. Sift half of the sugar with the salt the cake flour, setting the remaining sugar aside.
    In a large bowl, use a balloon whisk to thoroughly combine egg whites, water, orange extract, and cream of tartar. After 2 minutes, switch to a hand mixer. Slowly sift the reserved sugar, beating continuously at medium speed. Once you have achieved medium peaks, sift enough of the flour mixture in to dust the top of the foam. Using a spatula fold in gently. Continue until all of the flour mixture is incorporated. Carefully spoon mixture into an ungreased tube pan. Bake for 35 minutes before checking for doneness with a wooden skewer. (When inserted halfway between the inner and outer wall, the skewer should come out dry). Cool upside down on cooling rack for at least an hour before removing from pan. My mom used an old soda bottle, back in the day when pop or soda came in a bottle with a bottle cap. She still has the same bottle she used when we were kids for her cakes now. We always had a angel food cake for our birthdays. When I was older, I had pumpkin pie instead, but I still think of this cake for birthdays. They are great with strawberries too!!

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list