List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

Guiding Light - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: Guiding Light Forum :: Guiding Lights fans cooking...

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Guiding Lights fans cooking...

Started by Rosie Butterface at 2009/07/29 06:12AM
    Latest post: 2014/02/22 03:00PM, Views: 22445, Replies: 178
    « 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 » »| page:
    #101   2010/02/15 12:44PM
    Re: Guiding Lights fans cooking...
    merrymary

Spinach and Rice Balls Simple, like Grady was in the GL

Heat oven to 360 degress. Line baking sheet with nonstick foil. Heat 2 tsp oil in skillet over medium heat. Add 1 cup thawed frozen spinach,1/2 small onion,diced and 1/2 tsp minced garlic. cook 2 minutes until spinach is tender.

Stir into spinach mixture 1 cup cooked rice, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, 1 large egg and 1/8 tsp pepper.

Drop rounded Tbsps into prepared baking sheet.Bake 20 min. or until firm. Serve with Marinara sauce. Makes 10 rice balls This is easy to make and great to eat. Enjoy!!!!

#102   2010/02/17 01:59PM
    calliope

When my son was about 10 a SIL offered him some spinach balls. When he heard what they were he made this odd face and said it was like the worst dream he could ever have! I love them myself!

#103   2010/03/27 07:36PM
    Rosie Butter...

Meta Bauer’s Carrot and Walnut Cake. When I started watching GL, Meta was not on the show, but they spoke of her. I have read some of the history and she was somewhat of a spitfire in her day. When she came back to SP, in 2000, she was the warm aunt we all know. I could see her making a big easter dinner for the Bauer family and friends. My grandma had a black walnut tree in her yard, so her carrot cakes had those kind of walnuts. Funny how food, family and fun go together.
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup vegetable oil
    1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    1 cup grated carrots
    1 cup milk
    6 eggs
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour one 9 or 10 inch tube pan. Sift the flour, baking soda, and baking powder together and set aside. Beat the eggs with the ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and ground cardamom together for 5 minutes. Stir in the confectioner's sugar and mix well. Beat in the vegetable oil and continue beating for 5 minutes. Alternately add the flour mixture and the milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, to the egg mixture. With a spoon stir in the carrots and the walnuts. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

#104   2010/03/27 07:50PM
    Rosie Butter...

Oh, Ginger Snap Crusted Ham. I loved Allison Janney when she played Alan’s maid. I found this online—and if I have the energy, time and brain cells left by Easter, will try!
    1 box ginger snap cookies
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1/2 molasses
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 tsp crushed cloves.
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1 medium precooked boneless ham
    Pat of butter
    In your food processor, combine the ginger snap cookies, brown sugar, crushed cloves, pepper and nutmeg. Process on high until you have crumbs. Cream softened butter with molasses in small bowl. Grease pan of choice with small pat of butter. Cover ham with the molasses/butter mixture by smearing it all over the ham with a spatula. With your hands, take the crumb mixture and pat it into the butter mixture on the ham, creating a "crust" you do not need to do the underside of the ham. Bake ham according to time instructions on package of ham, but leave uncovered in oven.

#105   2010/03/28 08:10PM
    Rosie Butter...

Annie Dutton Flew Over the Coconut Nests. Annie was a lot of fun to watch. This recipe I have been looking , as Russell Stovers no longer make the green coconut nests---which was my fave at Easter. I miss GL more:0(
    6 ounces white candy coating, coarsely chopped
    6 drops green food coloring
    1 drop yellow food coloring
    1 cup flaked coconut
    36 jelly beans
    In a microwave-safe bowl, melt candy coating; stir in food coloring until blended. Add coconut. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper into 12 mounds. Make an indentation in the center of each with the end of a wooden spoon handle. Fill each with three jelly beans. Let stand until set.

#106   2010/03/29 12:28PM
    Rosie Butter...

The Four Musketeers Asparagus au gratin recipe contains mushrooms and a white sauce with Parmesan cheese. I’m thinking Musketeers used spears of some kind. I love asparagus and mushrooms, they go together so well, much like Phillip, Rick, Beth and Mindy did. By the way, asparagus is really good the next morning to eat cold for breakfast!!!

1 pound trimmed asparagus spears, fresh or frozen

salt and pepper

8 ounces sliced mushrooms

2 tablespoons butter

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 1/4 cup milk

2 teaspoons lemon juice

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Heat warming drawer or preheat oven to 225°. Put asparagus in a pan large enought o hold them lying flat. Pour enough boiling water in the pan to cover aparagus; add salt, to taste. Cover and simmer gtenly for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender. Lift asparagus out carefully with a spagula; transfer to paper towels to drain. Reserve 1/4 cup of cooking liquid. Arrange asparagus with tips all pointing in one direction on a warm, ovenproof serving dish; cover and keep warm in warming drawer or in a 225° degree oven. Simmer mushrooms in half of reserved asparagus liquid (2 tablespoons) for about 2 minutes, or until tender. Drain and arrange over the bottom half of asparagus, leaving tips uncovered. Cover and continue to keep warm while making sauce. In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Continue to cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes, until golden in color. Remove from heat; gradually stir in milk, the remaining half of asparagus cooking liquid (2 tablespoons), and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Return sauce to heat; simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened. Pour over mushrooms and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Asparagus tips will remain exposed. Cover exposed asparagus with foil; place dish under broiler for 2 to 3 minutes, or until sauce with cheese is browned. Asparagus au gratin recipe serves 4—so if you have a large crowd, you will need to double/triple it!!

#107   2010/03/29 01:42PM
    merrymary

Rosie, I can't wait to try the Asparagus au gratin recipe. Now that this vegetable is ready in the spring, I can never have enough recipes to use it. I still look in on the message boards, and I love this thread. Keep it going!

#108   2010/04/01 09:17AM
    Rosie Butter...

Quote merrymary: Rosie, I can't wait to try the Asparagus au gratin recipe. Now that this vegetable is ready in the spring, I can never have enough recipes to use it. I still look in on the message boards, and I love this thread. Keep it going!

Hi merrymary, how are you? I to love asparagus. I think I am going to try this on Sunday, but I love asparagus just steamed and a little bit of salt and pepper too, so I will have to see. It does not matter what my kids think, they will not touch the stuff--more for me!!

#109   2010/04/01 09:17AM
    Rosie Butter...

Adrian 'Sugar' Hill’s Lemonade Salad. “Sugar” was played by Taye Diggs, who was sweet and a hottie. This salad is sweet and Tartie! For this salad, you can use regular lemonade or pink. You can also us food coloring if you want a different color for your Easter Table. This is one of those salad that make me think warm sunny days----good bye snow!
    2-1/4 cups butter-flavored cracker crumbs (about 64 crackers)
    1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
    3 Tbsp sugar
    2 (14-oz each) cans sweetened condensed milk
    1 (12-oz) can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
    1 (12-oz) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
    Combine cracker crumbs, butter and sugar. Press into an ungreased 13 x 9 dish; set aside.
    In a bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk and lemonade concentrate until smooth (mixture will begin to thicken). Gently fold in whipped topping until smooth. Pour over cust.
    Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours

#110   2010/04/03 09:37AM
    Rosie Butter...

I Dream of Gus's Rhubarb Bars. Gus was tart and sweet all rolled up into one dreamy hottie!
    2C. Flour
    3/4 confectioners sugar
    1 C. Butter
    4 eggs
    2C. sugar
    1/2 C. flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    4 C. diced rhubarb
    First the crust layer--combine 2C. flour and the confectioners sugar(powder sugar). Cut in Butter until it crumbs. Press into bottom of a 15X10X pan(jelly roll pan). Bake the crust at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. While crust is baking, mix the filling. Blend the eggs, 2C. of sugar, 1/2 C of flour and salt until smooth. Fold in rhubarb. Spread over hot curst and bake for 40 to 45 minutes still at 350 degrees. Filling should be lightly browned. Cool and cut into bars. This is much like a rhubarb pie, but easier to bring places. It is good with whip cream or ice cream!! This is one of Rosie's favs!

« 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list