General Hospital - NEWS ROOM

In our 'General Hospital' News Room, Soaps.com keeps you up-to-date with the latest Soap Opera news on the net. We also feature interviews with the soap stars, as well as local appearances by the actors and actresses.

Genie Francis to Return in August

Sunday, July 13 2008

Luke and Laura, together again? (ABC)
    Tuesday, August 26 will be a day that General Hospital fans will get one of their biggest wishes of all. Genie Francis will return and that can only mean one thing - Laura will wake up from her vegatative state. She slipped away for the 2nd time in November of 2006 after remarrying Luke (and without finding out that he had married Tracy). All Soaps.com can report at this point is that Genie's visit to GH will be "brief", according to an Associated Press report. Genie told the news service that the mother-daughter bond is stronger than any medicine in the world and Lulu's problems will be enough to bring Laura around if only for a little while. Genie commented that she would like to return to the soap on a more permanent basis but the show hasn't indicated that is what they are looking for at this time. The producers of the show haven't commented on that, but they did say that Laura won't be killed off as part of this upcoming storyline. So, there's always hope for more Laura down the road, right?

It's hard not to speculate what will happen with such a pivotal character rejoining her family in the near future. When she slipped away nineteen months ago, Lucky was trying to put his family back together after having cheated with Maxie and getting hooked on drugs, Nikolas was starting to raise young Spencer on his own, and Lulu had broken Dillon and Georgie up and had an abortion. And then there's the little business about the love of her life marrying someone else during the four years since she slipped away (her original vegetative state began in 2002 when Genie left the show after contract disputes.)

We'll take whatever we can get, right? Welcome home Genie (and Laura)! Check back with Soaps.com often to hear all of the news as it unfolds.

Posted by lwilson_Soaps.com at Sunday, July 13 2008 05:52 PM

Wow! Great news. Although I'm a little torn over wanting her to stay more permanently because I absolutely love Luke with Tracy. Could be interesting to see Laura and Scotty in scenes again though - especially since her daughter killed his son!

Lori

Posted by Chrissi_Soaps.com at Sunday, July 13 2008 06:56 PM

I'm with you, Lori. I love Luke with Tracy, but Laura's Laura... Tracy's so damned funny though. I hope they don't lose that!

Posted by jcrobinson at Monday, July 14 2008 06:56 AM

It's going to be interesting - what they do with Luke. I'm very glad to see Laura back to interact with her children, however it's almost uncomfortable to think about what could transpire between Luke/Tracy/Laura. Even if they can't reconcile Luke with Laura, it would be terrific to have Laura back on the scene permanently. The dynamic is still there. Fans tend to forget that we had several years here and there with Luke and Laura separated and it was just fine!

Posted by jc93 at Monday, July 14 2008 07:14 AM

I'm happy she is coming back! I wish she came back permantely! I would love to see what will hapeen between Luke/Tracy/Laura! I love Luke and Tracy together , they are the best!

Posted by LizFan17 at Monday, July 14 2008 02:30 PM

I love Genie Francis in GH...she's great as Laura, her and Anthony Geary play great roles. but I wonder how this story will unfold?

Posted by lady red at Monday, July 14 2008 02:44 PM

I'm excited abou Genie's brief return! Maybe, she will become a regular eventually!!

Posted by genhospchat at Monday, July 14 2008 03:47 PM

As far as GF coming back though, I really will look forward to it. I hope there's more to it than just about Lulu though, as she has two other children as well as grandchildren and a mother.

I also hope they don't make it about her and Luke. Luke and Laura were THE couple at one time and I think they will always have a bond, but I think they've had their time.

I would like to see Laura with Scotty again, if she were to come back. At this point in their lives, I think they are ready to be together again. Luke and Tracey are great together now as well and they fit.

Posted by Windy at Tuesday, July 15 2008 07:13 AM

I am happy that Genie will return, enem tho it is just a few scenecs, but ht producers are making a very big mistake. they only use her for ratings during the sweeps. She has more talent in her baby finger than 99% of the cast.

Posted by Mom2RedHead at Tuesday, July 15 2008 12:27 PM

They should have brought Genie back after her last appearance in 2006. I am thrilled to see her come back but, sad that it is only for a short time. They don't use Genie the way that she should be used and that is as often as possible, not just for ratings! ABC, why don't you wake up and bring her back for good? Looking forward to seeing Luke's angel!

Posted by lighthouse112 at Wednesday, July 16 2008 11:19 AM

I can't wait!! I wish it was permant!!