List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: Fathers and Sons

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Fathers and Sons

Started by ghfanfare at 2014/02/08 11:46AM
    Latest post: 2014/02/13 07:06PM, Views: 1959, Replies: 59
    « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » »| page:
    #31   2014/02/13 10:46AM
    Re: Fathers and Sons
    oltllover

Quote ransomha:
    Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:
    Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:
    Quote JaneDoe: I have witnessed MANY posters on this board try to excuse Sonny's lifestyle choices because of his childhood. Other characters, as well as posters have blamed his upbringing and Deke's abuse for him turning to the mob and violence. I can see why that happened as well and I totally buy into the fact that Sonny chose his life because he was beaten down as a kid. VERY believable. What I don't understand and can't support is his continued lifestyle choice and the mistakes he continuously makes that cost his children and loved ones the most. He's purely selfish now.

Now here we have Julian who was raised by a ruthless mobster and in turn has become a ruthless mobster because that's ALL HE KNOWS. Is that an excuse, not really because he's an adult and he could have decided on a different path. We now have him faced with JUST learning he has a gay son. His father taught him that being gay was not the way to live. He taught him to look down on people who are gay. Up until this point, his only experience with anyone who is gay is a distant cousin who his father discouraged contact with. It's not until NOW that he's had to face the situation head on and his natural instinct was to say what his father taught him. Of COURSE he's automatically branded by some as ignorant and horrible for his declarations and I'll SAY IT RIGHT NOW.... IF Julian continues to treat Lucas like a pariah because he's guy, I will not be able to defend him. I think yesterday's conversation with Alexis was VERY telling. If he truly felt the way his father did and had NO desire to have a GAY son, he would have walked away and not given it another thought, but he didn't do that. He sought out advise from another parent instead. He wants to figure this out. He LOVES his son and needs help dealing with a lifetime of thinking in a way he was taught, but is unacceptable.

Time will tell.

Sonny's choice to join the mob was a young kids need to survive.
    As a mob boss, he can't put in a two week notice and walk away.
    Way too far along for that.
    He's made a lifelong commitment whether he likes it or nor.

Julian on the other hand has been out of the business for over 20 years.
    Trying to take Sonny's territory is now doing the thing you find fault for Sonny doing.

Julian doesn't have to live his life with a bullseye on Sam, Danny and Lucas's head.

I don't find fault with Sonny being a mobster, I've loved my fair share of mobsters on GH including Sonny at one time. His repeated mistakes (stupidity) and his selfishness is what leads to the danger he inflicts on others more so than actually being in the mob. I don't dislike Sonny because he's a mobster, I'm not that hypocritical.... I LOVE bad guys. I don't like him because he's a repetitive bore who continuously puts his needs and his flavor of the month's above others. Does Julian do the same sometimes, yes in respect to Danny and Sam.... but he's new and hasn't yet had the time to bore me.

I base my like of characters SOLELY on their ability to entertain. Nothing more, nothing less. Sonny lost that ability YEARS ago. I see no need in trying to make it sound like the characters I like are better than they are or try to make it look like they are exactly the way I want them to be to justify my love of them.... that takes WAY too much effort.

In your post you mention Sonny being in the mob and the violence that surrounds him.
    You say his lifestyle choice puts his children in danger.
    if not for his mob connections, what do you think is putting his children in danger? The coffee business?

I think I made it pretty clear when I said the "mistakes he continuously makes". I said I understood WHY he turned to the mob life and violence because of his past.

Actually it wasn't clear at all.

What I got from it was, you don't find Sonny entertaining.

He's been on the show over 20 years so i'd guess he must be a popular character.

To each their own.

The subject at hand was father's and sons.
    I don't see Sonny anything like Mike.
    Sonny had no respect for Mike so lived his life nothing like Mike.

Julian had no respect for his father yet follows in his footsteps.

That's odd, TO ME.

You keep bringing up Mike but Sonny wasn't raised by Mike, he abandoned his family and had gambling problems etc so how was Sonny suppose "follow in those footsteps" Julian was raised by victor and everything that Victor was got ingrained into Julian. sorry but the two comparisons don't work no matter how much you want them to. btw Sonny took care of Mike so he must have had some respect for him.

#32   2014/02/13 10:49AM
    Nightmoves

Quote ransomha:
    Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:
    Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:
    Quote JaneDoe: I have witnessed MANY posters on this board try to excuse Sonny's lifestyle choices because of his childhood. Other characters, as well as posters have blamed his upbringing and Deke's abuse for him turning to the mob and violence. I can see why that happened as well and I totally buy into the fact that Sonny chose his life because he was beaten down as a kid. VERY believable. What I don't understand and can't support is his continued lifestyle choice and the mistakes he continuously makes that cost his children and loved ones the most. He's purely selfish now.

Now here we have Julian who was raised by a ruthless mobster and in turn has become a ruthless mobster because that's ALL HE KNOWS. Is that an excuse, not really because he's an adult and he could have decided on a different path. We now have him faced with JUST learning he has a gay son. His father taught him that being gay was not the way to live. He taught him to look down on people who are gay. Up until this point, his only experience with anyone who is gay is a distant cousin who his father discouraged contact with. It's not until NOW that he's had to face the situation head on and his natural instinct was to say what his father taught him. Of COURSE he's automatically branded by some as ignorant and horrible for his declarations and I'll SAY IT RIGHT NOW.... IF Julian continues to treat Lucas like a pariah because he's guy, I will not be able to defend him. I think yesterday's conversation with Alexis was VERY telling. If he truly felt the way his father did and had NO desire to have a GAY son, he would have walked away and not given it another thought, but he didn't do that. He sought out advise from another parent instead. He wants to figure this out. He LOVES his son and needs help dealing with a lifetime of thinking in a way he was taught, but is unacceptable.

Time will tell.

Trying to take Sonny's territory is now doing the thing you find fault for Sonny doing.

Julian doesn't have to live his life with a bullseye on Sam, Danny and Lucas's head.

I don't find fault with Sonny being a mobster, I've loved my fair share of mobsters on GH including Sonny at one time. His repeated mistakes (stupidity) and his selfishness is what leads to the danger he inflicts on others more so than actually being in the mob. I don't dislike Sonny because he's a mobster, I'm not that hypocritical.... I LOVE bad guys. I don't like him because he's a repetitive bore who continuously puts his needs and his flavor of the month's above others. Does Julian do the same sometimes, yes in respect to Danny and Sam.... but he's new and hasn't yet had the time to bore me.

I base my like of characters SOLELY on their ability to entertain. Nothing more, nothing less. Sonny lost that ability YEARS ago. I see no need in trying to make it sound like the characters I like are better than they are or try to make it look like they are exactly the way I want them to be to justify my love of them.... that takes WAY too much effort.

In your post you mention Sonny being in the mob and the violence that surrounds him.
    if not for his mob connections, what do you think is putting his children in danger? The coffee business?

I think I made it pretty clear when I said the "mistakes he continuously makes". I said I understood WHY he turned to the mob life and violence because of his past.

He's been on the show over 20 years so i'd guess he must be a popular character.

To each their own.

That's odd, TO ME.

But every situation is different

#33   2014/02/13 10:50AM
    oltllover

:-)

Quote Nightmoves:
    Quote ransomha:
    Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:
    Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:

Time will tell.

To each their own.

That's odd, TO ME.

#34   2014/02/13 10:52AM
    JaneDoe

Quote ransomha:

To each their own.

That's odd, TO ME.

I don't think I've ever once said that Sonny wasn't popular, I just happen to not like him. He's grown stale IMO and if the opinions on this board are any indication of the viewers of GH.... I think it's safe to say I'm not alone in my opinion. I realize that it does not mean that he has no fans or that he's no longer a major character on the GH canvas, quite the contrary. I wish we could see some change and character growth for him instead of the same old, barware throwing, revolving "love of my life" women, and stupid - impulsive decision making. All characters are redeemable, my love/hate for a character is never constant. Until I see something different for Sonny, my bashing hatred will go on and on I presume.

As far as Julian being like his father.... I think yesterday's show was an indication he's trying to break from the mold. I'm looking forward to seeing the direction he goes.

#35   2014/02/13 11:00AM
    ransomha

Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:

To each their own.

That's odd, TO ME.

I don't think I've ever once said that Sonny wasn't popular, I just happen to not like him. He's grown stale IMO and if the opinions on this board are any indication of the viewers of GH.... I think it's safe to say I'm not alone in my opinion. I realize that it does not mean that he has no fans or that he's no longer a major character on the GH canvas, quite the contrary. I wish we could see some change and character growth for him instead of the same old, barware throwing, revolving "love of my life" women, and stupid - impulsive decision making. All characters are redeemable, my love/hate for a character is never constant. Until I see something different for Sonny, my bashing hatred will go on and on I presume.

As far as Julian being like his father.... I think yesterday's show was an indication he's trying to break from the mold. I'm looking forward to seeing the direction he goes.

It's true, there are 3 or 4 posters that do have the exact same likes and dislikes of all your posts.
    If you don't like Sonny, of course they don't him either.

And as I said, "To each their own".

#36   2014/02/13 11:01AM
    oltllover

Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:

To each their own.

That's odd, TO ME.

I remember when connie was killed and he went off his meds and the whole Morgan/Kiki thing sonny/MB got a lot of praise for those scenes, it was something different and had potential to give us something new. to bad it went right back to the same old, same old.

#37   2014/02/13 11:05AM
    ransomha

Quote oltllover:
    Quote Nightmoves:
    Quote ransomha:
    Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:
    Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:

Time will tell.

To each their own.

That's odd, TO ME.

Exactly! That's what makes it so interesting Only Sonny and Julian had zero in common when it came to their childhoods and their adult choices so, I guess that really doesn't come into play in this situation would it?

#38   2014/02/13 11:05AM
    ghfanfare

Quote ransomha:
    Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:

To each their own.

That's odd, TO ME.

It's true, there are 3 or 4 posters that do have the exact same likes and dislikes of all your posts.

Are you saying we can't think for ourselves? That is really insulting. But that's not the way you roll, right?

#39   2014/02/13 11:06AM
    JaneDoe

Quote ransomha:
    Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:

To each their own.

That's odd, TO ME.

Wow, I had no idea I had that kind of influence over my fellow posters. BTW, I think there are a LOT more than 3 or 4 poster here who do not like Sonny.

#40   2014/02/13 11:07AM
    ghfanfare

Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:
    Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:

To each their own.

That's odd, TO ME.

Wow, I had no idea I had that kind of influence over my fellow posters. BTW, I think there are a LOT more than 3 or 4 poster here who do not like Sonny.

Yes, Jane. You have the voodoo Chubacapra power. Didn't you know?!

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list