List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: Fathers and Sons

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Fathers and Sons

Started by ghfanfare at 2014/02/08 11:46AM
    Latest post: 2014/02/13 07:06PM, Views: 1905, Replies: 59
    « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » »| page:
    #21   2014/02/13 07:51AM
    Re: Fathers and Sons
    JaneDoe

Quote oltllover:
    Quote ransomha: Interesting that a man would follow in the footsteps of a father he hated and disrespected.

Sonny did the opposite of Mike.
    Dante will do the opposite of the things he disagrees with about his father. ( which side of the law to be on ).
    Nic is not bringing his son up as he was raised.
    Yet Julian still follows his father's hatred and ignorance to the next generation.

so I guess choosing to be a mobster over a gambler is better. and before we start with the whole "oh he is like his father" thing just remember you have often excused Britt's behavior because of her parents but ultimately she is not that much better then them, using people tricking them stealing babies...... since Julian just learned about Lucas and we just learned about how he was taught why don't we wait and see how it actually plays out before making assumptions.

I think this is going to be a really good s/l and turning point for Julian's character. He's going to have to explore why he feels the way he does and he'll have to learn how wrong his father's teachings were. There are many people who struggle with this. You can't really blame kids who were only taught that this kind of person is BAD by their parents for turning into bigots. It's their ability to break free from that bigotry once they become adults and are faced with it that defines their character as an individual. Up until this point, Julian hasn't had to give it much thought. Now that he finds out his son is gay and he wishes to have a relationship with him, he's going to have to figure out how to move forward. The fact that he's seeking out the advice of another parent is very telling. He could have just simply walked away from Lucas because of what his father taught him, but instead.... he's interested in figuring out how to deal with it.

#22   2014/02/13 08:03AM
    ransomha

I think/hope that with Alexis's help and maybe some professional help as well, Julian is going to see that he doesn't want to be anything like his father in any way and that includes being in the mob.

He doesn't seem suited for it.
    If he wants to be with Alexis, she has already made it clear she doesn't want a man that's in any way mob related.

I'm hoping that Julian actually teams up with Sonny to get rid of Ava then go back to being a newspaper guy with a family.

Let Julian make some new/good memories with his son.

#23   2014/02/13 08:05AM
    JaneDoe

I have witnessed MANY posters on this board try to excuse Sonny's lifestyle choices because of his childhood. Other characters, as well as posters have blamed his upbringing and Deke's abuse for him turning to the mob and violence. I can see why that happened as well and I totally buy into the fact that Sonny chose his life because he was beaten down as a kid. VERY believable. What I don't understand and can't support is his continued lifestyle choice and the mistakes he continuously makes that cost his children and loved ones the most. He's purely selfish now.

Now here we have Julian who was raised by a ruthless mobster and in turn has become a ruthless mobster because that's ALL HE KNOWS. Is that an excuse, not really because he's an adult and he could have decided on a different path. We now have him faced with JUST learning he has a gay son. His father taught him that being gay was not the way to live. He taught him to look down on people who are gay. Up until this point, his only experience with anyone who is gay is a distant cousin who his father discouraged contact with. It's not until NOW that he's had to face the situation head on and his natural instinct was to say what his father taught him. Of COURSE he's automatically branded by some as ignorant and horrible for his declarations and I'll SAY IT RIGHT NOW.... IF Julian continues to treat Lucas like a pariah because he's guy, I will not be able to defend him. I think yesterday's conversation with Alexis was VERY telling. If he truly felt the way his father did and had NO desire to have a GAY son, he would have walked away and not given it another thought, but he didn't do that. He sought out advise from another parent instead. He wants to figure this out. He LOVES his son and needs help dealing with a lifetime of thinking in a way he was taught, but is unacceptable.

Time will tell.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2014/02/13 08:08AM
    #24   2014/02/13 08:42AM
    ransomha

Quote JaneDoe: I have witnessed MANY posters on this board try to excuse Sonny's lifestyle choices because of his childhood. Other characters, as well as posters have blamed his upbringing and Deke's abuse for him turning to the mob and violence. I can see why that happened as well and I totally buy into the fact that Sonny chose his life because he was beaten down as a kid. VERY believable. What I don't understand and can't support is his continued lifestyle choice and the mistakes he continuously makes that cost his children and loved ones the most. He's purely selfish now.

Now here we have Julian who was raised by a ruthless mobster and in turn has become a ruthless mobster because that's ALL HE KNOWS. Is that an excuse, not really because he's an adult and he could have decided on a different path. We now have him faced with JUST learning he has a gay son. His father taught him that being gay was not the way to live. He taught him to look down on people who are gay. Up until this point, his only experience with anyone who is gay is a distant cousin who his father discouraged contact with. It's not until NOW that he's had to face the situation head on and his natural instinct was to say what his father taught him. Of COURSE he's automatically branded by some as ignorant and horrible for his declarations and I'll SAY IT RIGHT NOW.... IF Julian continues to treat Lucas like a pariah because he's guy, I will not be able to defend him. I think yesterday's conversation with Alexis was VERY telling. If he truly felt the way his father did and had NO desire to have a GAY son, he would have walked away and not given it another thought, but he didn't do that. He sought out advise from another parent instead. He wants to figure this out. He LOVES his son and needs help dealing with a lifetime of thinking in a way he was taught, but is unacceptable.

Time will tell.

Sonny's choice to join the mob was a young kids need to survive.
    As a mob boss, he can't put in a two week notice and walk away.
    Way too far along for that.
    He's made a lifelong commitment whether he likes it or nor.

Julian on the other hand has been out of the business for over 20 years.
    Trying to take Sonny's territory is now doing the thing you find fault for Sonny doing.

Julian doesn't have to live his life with a bullseye on Sam, Danny and Lucas's head.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2014/02/13 08:46AM
    #25   2014/02/13 09:23AM
    JaneDoe

Quote ransomha:
    Quote JaneDoe: I have witnessed MANY posters on this board try to excuse Sonny's lifestyle choices because of his childhood. Other characters, as well as posters have blamed his upbringing and Deke's abuse for him turning to the mob and violence. I can see why that happened as well and I totally buy into the fact that Sonny chose his life because he was beaten down as a kid. VERY believable. What I don't understand and can't support is his continued lifestyle choice and the mistakes he continuously makes that cost his children and loved ones the most. He's purely selfish now.

Time will tell.

Trying to take Sonny's territory is now doing the thing you find fault for Sonny doing.

Julian doesn't have to live his life with a bullseye on Sam, Danny and Lucas's head.

I don't find fault with Sonny being a mobster, I've loved my fair share of mobsters on GH including Sonny at one time. His repeated mistakes (stupidity) and his selfishness is what leads to the danger he inflicts on others more so than actually being in the mob. I don't dislike Sonny because he's a mobster, I'm not that hypocritical.... I LOVE bad guys. I don't like him because he's a repetitive bore who continuously puts his needs and his flavor of the month's above others. Does Julian do the same sometimes, yes in respect to Danny and Sam.... but he's new and hasn't yet had the time to bore me.

I base my like of characters SOLELY on their ability to entertain. Nothing more, nothing less. Sonny lost that ability YEARS ago. I see no need in trying to make it sound like the characters I like are better than they are or try to make it look like they are exactly the way I want them to be to justify my love of them.... that takes WAY too much effort.

#26   2014/02/13 09:34AM
    ransomha

Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:

Time will tell.

I don't find fault with Sonny being a mobster, I've loved my fair share of mobsters on GH including Sonny at one time. His repeated mistakes (stupidity) and his selfishness is what leads to the danger he inflicts on others more so than actually being in the mob. I don't dislike Sonny because he's a mobster, I'm not that hypocritical.... I LOVE bad guys. I don't like him because he's a repetitive bore who continuously puts his needs and his flavor of the month's above others. Does Julian do the same sometimes, yes in respect to Danny and Sam.... but he's new and hasn't yet had the time to bore me.

I base my like of characters SOLELY on their ability to entertain. Nothing more, nothing less. Sonny lost that ability YEARS ago. I see no need in trying to make it sound like the characters I like are better than they are or try to make it look like they are exactly the way I want them to be to justify my love of them.... that takes WAY too much effort.

In your post you mention Sonny being in the mob and the violence that surrounds him.
    You say his lifestyle choice puts his children in danger.
    if not for his mob connections, what do you think is putting his children in danger? The coffee business?

#27   2014/02/13 10:01AM
    Nightmoves

Quote ransomha:
    Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:

Time will tell.

In your post you mention Sonny being in the mob and the violence that surrounds him.
    if not for his mob connections, what do you think is putting his children in danger? The coffee business?

His poor decisions. His inability to think things through and reacting for the sole purpose of his immediate gratification. For instance, his jumping to the conclusion that Johnny shot Kate which led to him kidnapping and torturing Johnny. This indirectly caused the shooting of Michael, which by the way should have not been brought to the warehouse in the first place.

Shielding his 'love of life' from gunfire instead of his own son.

His planting a bomb meant for Johnny when he knew his daughter had been spending time with Johnny and almost killing said daughter. Not smart!

His covering up Claudia's killing which was clearly done in self defense which led to Michael being sent to prison and subsequently being raped.

These are just a few of the ways Sonny has put his kids in danger.

#28   2014/02/13 10:05AM
    JaneDoe

Quote ransomha:
    Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:

Time will tell.

I think I made it pretty clear when I said the "mistakes he continuously makes". I said I understood WHY he turned to the mob life and violence because of his past.

#29   2014/02/13 10:06AM
    JaneDoe

Quote Nightmoves:
    Quote ransomha:
    Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:

Time will tell.

His poor decisions. His inability to think things through and reacting for the sole purpose of his immediate gratification. For instance, his jumping to the conclusion that Johnny shot Kate which led to him kidnapping and torturing Johnny. This indirectly caused the shooting of Michael, which by the way should have not been brought to the warehouse in the first place.

Shielding his 'love of life' from gunfire instead of his own son.

His planting a bomb meant for Johnny when he knew his daughter had been spending time with Johnny and almost killing said daughter. Not smart!

His covering up Claudia's killing which was clearly done in self defense which led to Michael being sent to prison and subsequently being raped.

These are just a few of the ways Sonny has put his kids in danger.

This is it exactly, great examples. It's not about being IN the mob.... it's about being STUPID in the mob.

#30   2014/02/13 10:37AM
    ransomha

Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:
    Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ransomha:

Time will tell.

I think I made it pretty clear when I said the "mistakes he continuously makes". I said I understood WHY he turned to the mob life and violence because of his past.

Actually it wasn't clear at all.

What I got from it was, you don't find Sonny entertaining.

He's been on the show over 20 years so i'd guess he must be a popular character.

To each their own.

The subject at hand was father's and sons.
    I don't see Sonny anything like Mike.
    Sonny had no respect for Mike so lived his life nothing like Mike.

Julian had no respect for his father yet follows in his footsteps.

That's odd, TO ME.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list