List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: OT: a little share

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

OT: a little share

Started by Mrs. Lansing at 2013/10/27 07:33AM
    Latest post: 2013/10/27 04:28PM, Views: 290, Replies: 5
    page:
    #1   2013/10/27 07:33AM
    OT: a little share
    Mrs. Lansing

I thought this would be fun for old time viewers as well as new viewers. Some years ago there was a popular talk show that came on late night with Tom Synder called Tomorrow. This is a link to the first of 3 segments from 1975 where his guest were Mary Stewart (Jo SFT), Agnes Nixon (creator of OLTL & AMC)and the producer at the time of the soap The Doctors. Enjoy!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cLfJiBn_-k

#2   2013/10/27 07:56AM
    Re: OT: a little share
    taramartin

Thanks, I'll have to pull that up on my laptop - not so easy on my cell. I used to watch SFT also.

#3   2013/10/27 08:03AM
    Mrs. Lansing

Quote taramartin: Thanks, I'll have to pull that up on my laptop - not so easy on my cell. I used to watch SFT also.

You're welcome! I made a mistake which I should correct now: it's 5 parts not three. Also the youtube channel for saynotoursoaps, is one of the BEST youtube channels for old soap clips and episodes. Quality is not always so great because of how old some of the episodes are, but worth a view.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/10/27 08:08AM
    #4   2013/10/27 02:48PM
    taramartin

I got the opportunity to watch the 5 segments - it was interesting - it seems a lot of the things on the interview would still apply today. When Agnes Nixon talked about Erica on AMC and how she stirs up trouble all the time but that you get to know her and still are kind of routing for her (using many of my own words there), it was fun since Erica definitely went places on AMC and became the heart of the show. Other little troublemakers like Carly have succeeded at least in having kids and wealth - careers- maybe not true love. Sort of sad for our poor Heather - when you watch the old videos of that beautiful young girl who wanted the world and now is lucky if she gets a BLT. She never found much happiness. The last scenes of SFT are on YouTube also. Not sure which years I was a viewer. Sometimes when the soaps expanded to 1 hour, I had to give up some so I did not see it in the end. I was always most loyal to ABC.

#5   2013/10/27 03:59PM
    Mrs. Lansing

Quote taramartin: I got the opportunity to watch the 5 segments - it was interesting - it seems a lot of the things on the interview would still apply today. When Agnes Nixon talked about Erica on AMC and how she stirs up trouble all the time but that you get to know her and still are kind of routing for her (using many of my own words there), it was fun since Erica definitely went places on AMC and became the heart of the show. Other little troublemakers like Carly have succeeded at least in having kids and wealth - careers- maybe not true love. Sort of sad for our poor Heather - when you watch the old videos of that beautiful young girl who wanted the world and now is lucky if she gets a BLT. She never found much happiness. The last scenes of SFT are on YouTube also. Not sure which years I was a viewer. Sometimes when the soaps expanded to 1 hour, I had to give up some so I did not see it in the end. I was always most loyal to ABC.

I found that interesting about it as well, there was a lot that could still apply today. I thought it was also interesting when Synder asked if there is anything topic that soaps could not do, and they all answered homosexuality. The woman who wrote the newsletter, (which I think may eventually have turned into SOD not sure) said that you could do it, but you would have to introduce it slowly over time to the audience. I believe she suggested one years time for the story to unfold, and she was right in a way. The soap that was first successful with it was the one who took time to reveal it to the audience over a long period, which I believe was DOOL only within the last few years. I used to watch ATWT, and they pretty much killed the Luke/Noah story almost as soon as it started.
    I did watch a lot of different soaps back before the shift to one hour, and over the years I did switch around a bit, but the only ABC soaps I watched regularly was GH and RH. I remember SFT when Morgan Fairchild was on. I remember the s/l when she went to prison and was locked in the freezer. I also liked The Doctors, and I don't know if you remember but when they were talking about character deaths, and character exits, and the producer from TD talked about the character of Dr. Nick Belinini (sp?) being written out but hoping the actor returned one day? That actor went on to play Dr. Mark Dante on GH. He was involved with Rick and Jeff's sister, Terri.
    I do like to go on youtube and watch the old clips, sometimes it's nice to walk down memory lane.

#6   2013/10/27 04:28PM
    taramartin

Yes, I remember Mark Dante - a rugged looking type - not a pretty boy. Something else they talked about that still rings true is how different viewers like different actors. They mentioned blondes tend to like brunettes and brunettes like blondes ... I don't know about that one but on this board we all can watch the same soap and love or hate the same character. Since the characters are usually given a good bit of background I guess they aren't all good or bad.

page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list