List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: Please.... NO MORE!!!

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Please.... NO MORE!!!

Started by buffsta at 2013/10/21 10:34AM
    Latest post: 2013/10/31 05:01AM, Views: 3990, Replies: 54
    « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » »| page:
    #41   2013/10/30 01:09PM
    Re: Please.... NO MORE!!!
    oltllover

Quote ReignOfTerror:
    Quote Mrs. Lansing:
    Quote taramartin:
    Quote ransomha:
    Quote taramartin: That's what I am saying - the people in PR would pronounce Emma's and Patrick's names with their accent but even if Patrick and Emma learned to speak Spanish, they would most likely still pronounce their own names with their regular accents.

So then Sabrina should be pronouncing everyones name with her "regular accent". And if she's trying to better her english then should Patrick be trying to say her name the way it should be pronounced? The way Carlos says it?

Sabrina has an accent that she suppresses when saying the names of her PC friends. If she's trying to use Patrick's speech pattern then he should use hers.

???
    She pronounces Carlos' name properly, the way she has pronounced it since she met him. She pronounces Patrick's name the way everyone else in Port Chuck does. She is using the names they were given at birth - unless there are back stories we haven't heard yet.

Unless Patrick suddenly became a Spanish name everyone including Sabrina is pronouncing Patrick correctly.

However the only one currently pronouncing Carlos's name correctly is Sabrina.

I think the rest of the GH characters are safe since I believe no one but Carlos has a Spanish name (hint Carlos is Spanish for Charles). That is until Juan arrives.

I suppose we should be grateful that Juan's name is Juan and not Pedro, because I sure that would throw some current posters for a complete wobbly loop!

Haaaaaa..SERIOUSLY!!!!!

I can just see Robin calling him.."Patricio"...yes..this is how you pronounce his name in spanish for those who are annoyed with the pronunciations of the names.

seems to me that people are confusing the idea of having an accent with the concept of pronunciation of a name or word that may be ethnic.

#42   2013/10/30 01:12PM
    ransomha

Quote taramartin:
    Quote ransomha:
    Quote taramartin: That's what I am saying - the people in PR would pronounce Emma's and Patrick's names with their accent but even if Patrick and Emma learned to speak Spanish, they would most likely still pronounce their own names with their regular accents.

So then Sabrina should be pronouncing everyones name with her "regular accent". And if she's trying to better her english then should Patrick be trying to say her name the way it should be pronounced? The way Carlos says it?

Sabrina has an accent that she suppresses when saying the names of her PC friends. If she's trying to use Patrick's speech pattern then he should use hers.

???
    She pronounces Carlos' name properly, the way she has pronounced it since she met him. She pronounces Patrick's name the way everyone else in Port Chuck does. She is using the names they were given at birth - unless there are back stories we haven't heard yet.

She doesn't say her own name with an accent.
    I'm sure there are other spanish words she could be using instead the english versions. And just say Carlos even with an accent. It doesn't have to be dragged out like Carrrrrloooose. It's way over done.

#43   2013/10/30 01:28PM
    Mrs. Lansing

Quote oltllover:
    Quote ReignOfTerror:
    Quote Mrs. Lansing:
    Quote taramartin:
    Quote ransomha:

???

Unless Patrick suddenly became a Spanish name everyone including Sabrina is pronouncing Patrick correctly.

I think the rest of the GH characters are safe since I believe no one but Carlos has a Spanish name (hint Carlos is Spanish for Charles). That is until Juan arrives.

I suppose we should be grateful that Juan's name is Juan and not Pedro, because I sure that would throw some current posters for a complete wobbly loop!

Haaaaaa..SERIOUSLY!!!!!

I can just see Robin calling him.."Patricio"...yes..this is how you pronounce his name in spanish for those who are annoyed with the pronunciations of the names.

seems to me that people are confusing the idea of having an accent with the concept of pronunciation of a name or word that may be ethnic.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It must be very confusing for some because unlike Carlos, Sabrina is not a Spanish name; it's Celtic.

#44   2013/10/30 01:37PM
    akita

Quote ransomha:
    Quote taramartin:
    Quote ransomha:

So then Sabrina should be pronouncing everyones name with her "regular accent". And if she's trying to better her english then should Patrick be trying to say her name the way it should be pronounced? T

he way Carlos says it?

???

I'm sure there are other spanish words she could be using instead the english versions. And just say Carlos even with an accent. It doesn't have to be dragged out like Carrrrrloooose. It's way over done.

Overdone is right! To nit pick about something so normal and completely understood is freakin laughable. Get a course or do a little research if it's that important. If its not then drop it and stop being rude. Don't complain when its reversed. You love to complain when it comes to anything usa related so remember that.

#45   2013/10/30 02:17PM
    ransomha

Quote Mrs. Lansing:
    Quote oltllover:
    Quote ReignOfTerror:
    Quote Mrs. Lansing:
    Quote taramartin:
    Quote ransomha:

???

Haaaaaa..SERIOUSLY!!!!!

I think you hit the nail on the head. It must be very confusing for some because unlike Carlos, Sabrina is not a Spanish name; it's Celtic.

Tell that to Carlos! He sure gives her name a new sound! But, No one else's! Go figure..

#46   2013/10/30 02:20PM
    ransomha

Quote akita:
    Quote ransomha:
    Quote taramartin:
    Quote ransomha:

So then Sabrina should be pronouncing everyones name with her "regular accent". And if she's trying to better her english then should Patrick be trying to say her name the way it should be pronounced? T

he way Carlos says it?

???

Overdone is right! To nit pick about something so normal and completely understood is freakin laughable. Get a course or do a little research if it's that important. If its not then drop it and stop being rude. Don't complain when its reversed. You love to complain when it comes to anything usa related so remember that.

Laughing is good, no?

Difference of opinion is all. Not a complaint, just an observation.

#47   2013/10/30 02:27PM
    Mrs. Lansing

Quote akita:
    Quote ransomha:
    Quote taramartin:
    Quote ransomha:

he way Carlos says it?

???

To some ignorance must be bliss or behaving ignorantly...not sure, but either way I guess you get it or you don't. Over and out! Ciao!

#48   2013/10/30 02:51PM
    Hydrangea1953

I dont remember The Flying Nun rolling her Rs when she addressed her castmate, Carlos, on that TV show of the same name.

#49   2013/10/30 02:57PM
    ReignOfTerror

Quote Hydrangea1953: I dont remember The Flying Nun rolling her Rs when she addressed her castmate, Carlos, on that TV show of the same name.

.......sigh
    When did Sally Field become a hispanic woman? ....Seriously??

....shaking my head...looking for a wall.

Hydrangea.....this is about a latina woman pronouncing "Carlos" the way it is supposed to be pronounced. Non Latinos normally do not pronounce them the same way. I hope this helped...cuz I need therapy right now! OY!

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/10/30 03:05PM
    #50   2013/10/30 03:20PM
    ransomha

Quote Hydrangea1953: I dont remember The Flying Nun rolling her Rs when she addressed her castmate, Carlos, on that TV show of the same name.

Why does Carlos say Sabrina's name with an accent? He doesn't say anyone else's name with one. Sabrina isn't a spanish name that I know of.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list