List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: Please.... NO MORE!!!

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Please.... NO MORE!!!

Started by buffsta at 2013/10/21 10:34AM
    Latest post: 2013/10/31 05:01AM, Views: 4000, Replies: 54
    « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » »| page:
    #31   2013/10/30 07:07AM
    Re: Please.... NO MORE!!!
    alikat

Quote taramartin: If you moved to a country (or in Sabrina's case within her country)where they did not speak English, people would probably pronounce your name their way but your spouse and/or family would continue to pronounce your name the way they had all your life. It would be unusual if they did not.

Also, some find it an insult if you try to emulate their accent. They feel you're mocking them.

#32   2013/10/30 07:17AM
    ransomha

If Patrick or Emma or anyone really was visiting Puerto Rico wouldn't people there say their names with an accent? Why only say 2 names with an accent, why not everyone's?

#33   2013/10/30 07:44AM
    taramartin

That's what I am saying - the people in PR would pronounce Emma's and Patrick's names with their accent but even if Patrick and Emma learned to speak Spanish, they would most likely still pronounce their own names with their regular accents.

#34   2013/10/30 10:01AM
    ransomha

Quote taramartin: That's what I am saying - the people in PR would pronounce Emma's and Patrick's names with their accent but even if Patrick and Emma learned to speak Spanish, they would most likely still pronounce their own names with their regular accents.

So then Sabrina should be pronouncing everyones name with her "regular accent". And if she's trying to better her english then should Patrick be trying to say her name the way it should be pronounced? The way Carlos says it?

Sabrina has an accent that she suppresses when saying the names of her PC friends. If she's trying to use Patrick's speech pattern then he should use hers.

#35   2013/10/30 11:14AM
    akita

Quote Bizlet:
    Quote BringBackStarr: Speaking of Carlos and Sabrina-----WHY are they even in the country? Sabrina said she came to the U.S. on a STUDENT visa...Guess what dearie? Schools over...

Puerto Rico is a US territory. The residents are consider US citizens but have their own democratic government. They don't vote in US elections for President. She does not have to go anywhere.

Not only does she NOT have to go anywhere but who gives a crap about how she pronounces anything?

She is saying and pronouncing perfectly. There is NOT such thing as Puerto Rican way. Love or hate all you want but let's leave certain references out.

#36   2013/10/30 11:30AM
    akita

Omg, how ignorant can some people be. Spanish/Latin names are ALWAYS pronounced that way. Why are you finding fault or complaing about such stupid things?? Are some of you just trying to insult our culture? ? It shows such ignorance when you question how WE..I'm Cuban, pronounce our names correctly. It is because it is.

#37   2013/10/30 12:34PM
    taramartin

Quote ransomha:
    Quote taramartin: That's what I am saying - the people in PR would pronounce Emma's and Patrick's names with their accent but even if Patrick and Emma learned to speak Spanish, they would most likely still pronounce their own names with their regular accents.

So then Sabrina should be pronouncing everyones name with her "regular accent". And if she's trying to better her english then should Patrick be trying to say her name the way it should be pronounced? The way Carlos says it?

Sabrina has an accent that she suppresses when saying the names of her PC friends. If she's trying to use Patrick's speech pattern then he should use hers.

???
    She pronounces Carlos' name properly, the way she has pronounced it since she met him. She pronounces Patrick's name the way everyone else in Port Chuck does. She is using the names they were given at birth - unless there are back stories we haven't heard yet.

#38   2013/10/30 12:44PM
    Mrs. Lansing

Quote taramartin:
    Quote ransomha:

???
    She pronounces Carlos' name properly, the way she has pronounced it since she met him. She pronounces Patrick's name the way everyone else in Port Chuck does. She is using the names they were given at birth - unless there are back stories we haven't heard yet.

Unless Patrick suddenly became a Spanish name everyone including Sabrina is pronouncing Patrick correctly.

However the only one currently pronouncing Carlos's name correctly is Sabrina.

I think the rest of the GH characters are safe since I believe no one but Carlos has a Spanish name (hint Carlos is Spanish for Charles). That is until Juan arrives.

I suppose we should be grateful that Juan's name is Juan and not Pedro, because I sure that would throw some current posters for a complete wobbly loop!

#39   2013/10/30 12:56PM
    oltllover

Quote Mrs. Lansing:
    Quote taramartin:
    Quote ransomha:

???

Unless Patrick suddenly became a Spanish name everyone including Sabrina is pronouncing Patrick correctly.

I think the rest of the GH characters are safe since I believe no one but Carlos has a Spanish name (hint Carlos is Spanish for Charles). That is until Juan arrives.

I suppose we should be grateful that Juan's name is Juan and not Pedro, because I sure that would throw some current posters for a complete wobbly loop!

excellent example.

#40   2013/10/30 12:58PM
    ReignOfTerror

Quote Mrs. Lansing:
    Quote taramartin:
    Quote ransomha:

???

Haaaaaa..SERIOUSLY!!!!!

I can just see Robin calling him.."Patricio"...yes..this is how you pronounce his name in spanish for those who are annoyed with the pronunciations of the names.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list