List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: Please.... NO MORE!!!

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Please.... NO MORE!!!

Started by buffsta at 2013/10/21 10:34AM
    Latest post: 2013/10/31 05:01AM, Views: 4107, Replies: 54
    « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » »| page:
    #21   2013/10/29 12:16PM
    Re: Please.... NO MORE!!!
    ktmom

Both characters are fine, but they are such flat characters at this point. Sabrina is being painted as too goody goody. Give her some flaws to make her interesting.

Even Liz has flaws and she is the original goody 2 shoes. (I love her though.)

I am liking Carlos more, but I don't feel the heat between them yet.

I don't have an issue with her non accent except for certain words, but I am around Hispanics all the time. (I live in Texas.) If you live in small town Nebraska and have never met a Hispanic person, they might see it as fake. Most Hispanics in movies/TV are sterotypes. I think it is refreshing that GH is NOT doing that.

#22   2013/10/29 12:20PM
    ransomha

Quote buffsta: I absolutely CANNOT stand Sabrina! The total lack of chemistry between her and Patrick, her fake accent that only comes out when she says "Carlos", just HER as a character in general... Please stop...
    I cannot WAIT for Robin to come back and stake her claim.
    Bye bye Santiago! (This will be the BEST day ever!)

Funny when Patrick rolls his R's when saying Carlos' name too!
    Don't know if he's mocking Sabrina or not.

I can't wait for Robin either. Can't come soon enough.

#23   2013/10/29 01:07PM
    Mrs. Lansing

Quote lvmyabcsoaps: The fact that it is the only time she throws on an accent is with his name, but then again I thought that I made my point when I referred to Gloria from Modern Family. My mother has an accent and it's with everything that she says not just a name. So should everyone speak like that when saying a certain name from another country?

When it is how the name is supposed to be pronounced the answer is yes. Many people who are of ethnic backgrounds use the correct pronunciation for names and...well nouns! Others pepper their speech with a word or two from the language they grew up speaking or heard spoken in their family homes. This is actually very common of many people of many different ethnicities.

#24   2013/10/29 01:12PM
    ReignOfTerror

Quote Mrs. Lansing:
    Quote lvmyabcsoaps: The fact that it is the only time she throws on an accent is with his name, but then again I thought that I made my point when I referred to Gloria from Modern Family. My mother has an accent and it's with everything that she says not just a name. So should everyone speak like that when saying a certain name from another country?

When it is how the name is supposed to be pronounced the answer is yes. Many people who are of ethnic backgrounds use the correct pronunciation for names and...well nouns! Others pepper their speech with a word or two from the language they grew up speaking or heard spoken in their family homes. This is actually very common of many people of many different ethnicities.

Thanks for explaining it AGAIN Mrs Lansing! You have more patience than me..I'm done with it.

It's funny now how it keeps being posted though....

#25   2013/10/29 01:40PM
    maja

Thank you buffsta! I can't stand watching Patrick & Sabrina. These two have absolutely no chemistry. I hate the over anunciation of Carrrrlos, reminds me of Tea on OLTL.

#26   2013/10/29 02:27PM
    ransomha

Quote maja: Thank you buffsta! I can't stand watching Patrick & Sabrina. These two have absolutely no chemistry. I hate the over anunciation of Carrrrlos, reminds me of Tea on OLTL.

Tea' was known for that too! You're right, it's way OVERDONE.......
    Don't like Patrick and Sabrina either but, they'll be going their separate ways soon enough.

#27   2013/10/29 03:21PM
    lvmyabcsoaps

Quote ransomha:
    Quote maja: Thank you buffsta! I can't stand watching Patrick & Sabrina. These two have absolutely no chemistry. I hate the over anunciation of Carrrrlos, reminds me of Tea on OLTL.

Tea' was known for that too! You're right, it's way OVERDONE.......
    Don't like Patrick and Sabrina either but, they'll be going their separate ways soon enough.

I agree with the overdone and Sabrina adds some passion with that Carrrrrrrrrrlos. Haha. Thank goodness Robin is coming back and not soon enough. Hopefully this reunion doesn't drag out for more than a few weeks.

#28   2013/10/29 03:40PM
    taramartin

If you moved to a country (or in Sabrina's case within her country)where they did not speak English, people would probably pronounce your name their way but your spouse and/or family would continue to pronounce your name the way they had all your life. It would be unusual if they did not.

#29   2013/10/29 11:10PM
    genhospchat

Quote ReignOfTerror:
    Quote Mrs. Lansing:

Thanks for explaining it AGAIN Mrs Lansing! You have more patience than me..I'm done with it.

It's funny now how it keeps being posted though....

Some know the truth but continue with it because they just want to complain about certain characters. No sense beating your head off the wall anyway, so to speak.

#30   2013/10/30 07:00AM
    alikat

Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote ReignOfTerror:
    Quote buffsta: I absolutely CANNOT stand Sabrina! The total lack of chemistry between her and Patrick, her fake accent that only comes out when she says "Carlos", just HER as a character in general... Please stop...
    I cannot WAIT for Robin to come back and stake her claim.
    Bye bye Santiago! (This will be the BEST day ever!)

Fake accent at pronouncing "Carlos" the EXACT WAY it's supposed to be pronounced? Yeah ok.

I just posted this in another thread, but I don't understand why she uses a Puerto Rican accent on just the name Carlos either. Myself growing up in the US would pronounce the name Car (as in my auto)- los with a long O sound. Everything else she says sounds like she's lived in the US for years or all of her life, yet when she says Carlos... it sounds like she's lived in Puerto Rico all of her life. It does sound a little odd IMO.... like she only says that ONE name with an accent. Maybe that's just the way it is and I have no personal experience as I know no one from Puerto Rico.

No, I have a co-worker who is from Puerto Rico. He's lived here in the Southeast for at minimum 25 years because that's how long he's been with the company (and he's only probably 45-50). His accent is still very very heavy. We have to have him repeat himself sometimes as well as most languages translating to English cause the sentence structure to be funny. He'll say things like "Put to the floor this pallet"

Also, like I said in that other thread, Carrrrrrrlos came on and his first say 5 scenes his accent was fairly thick and now he doesn't have the accent either except on rare occasions.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list