List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: Please.... NO MORE!!!

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Please.... NO MORE!!!

Started by buffsta at 2013/10/21 10:34AM
    Latest post: 2013/10/31 05:01AM, Views: 3599, Replies: 54
    « 1 2 3 4 5 6 » »| page:
    #11   2013/10/21 02:32PM
    Re: Please.... NO MORE!!!
    ReignOfTerror

I am starting to wonder if it's actually the character(s) that are the problem with some viewers.... This is now the second time their race has been brought up regarding these 2 characters.

#12   2013/10/21 03:17PM
    Bizlet

Quote ReignOfTerror: I am starting to wonder if it's actually the character(s) that are the problem with some viewers.... This is now the second time their race has been brought up regarding these 2 characters.

I don't that think that it is race, but people don't understand US history. I love Saberina I find her ex an intriguing henchman for Julian.

#13   2013/10/22 05:40AM
    Monkey83

I must admit something.. I used to strongly dislike watching Giada on the Food Network Channel.. mainly because she never spoke with an accent until she was saying an Italian word.. then all of a sudden it was like "look at me I'm Italian".. I used to think she was soo phoney... THEN I took a Spanish class in college... I tried really hard to pronounce words correctly and it would bug me when someone wouldn't even try. It was then that I felt completely ignorant in my feelings about Giada..

I've grown to appreciate the correct pronunciation of words.. mainly because I struggle with it.

I adore Sabrina and the way she says Carlos doesn't bother me..

#14   2013/10/23 10:03AM
    ReignOfTerror

Quote Monkey83: I must admit something.. I used to strongly dislike watching Giada on the Food Network Channel.. mainly because she never spoke with an accent until she was saying an Italian word.. then all of a sudden it was like "look at me I'm Italian".. I used to think she was soo phoney... THEN I took a Spanish class in college... I tried really hard to pronounce words correctly and it would bug me when someone wouldn't even try. It was then that I felt completely ignorant in my feelings about Giada..

I've grown to appreciate the correct pronunciation of words.. mainly because I struggle with it.

PERFECT example of what I was trying to say...THANK YOU!
    Her mom still has a heavy accent and I'm sure she was taught how to say the italian foods with that accent but because she was brought up in this country....she doesn't have an accent for english words...this makes sense ..yes?
    My parents have accents but I don't..and I was taught to say names and certain words with the accent. Some are taught that way and some aren't.

#15   2013/10/29 09:44AM
    ReignOfTerror

Quote ReignOfTerror:
    Quote Monkey83: I must admit something.. I used to strongly dislike watching Giada on the Food Network Channel.. mainly because she never spoke with an accent until she was saying an Italian word.. then all of a sudden it was like "look at me I'm Italian".. I used to think she was soo phoney... THEN I took a Spanish class in college... I tried really hard to pronounce words correctly and it would bug me when someone wouldn't even try. It was then that I felt completely ignorant in my feelings about Giada..

Her mom still has a heavy accent and I'm sure she was taught how to say the italian foods with that accent but because she was brought up in this country....she doesn't have an accent for english words...this makes sense ..yes?
    My parents have accents but I don't..and I was taught to say names and certain words with the accent. Some are taught that way and some aren't.

Just bumping this back because some people DON'T GET IT! Sabrina says "Carlos" EXACTLY the way it's SUPPOSED to be pronounced.

#16   2013/10/29 10:03AM
    Mrs. Lansing

Quote ReignOfTerror:
    Quote ReignOfTerror:

Just bumping this back because some people DON'T GET IT! Sabrina says "Carlos" EXACTLY the way it's SUPPOSED to be pronounced.

I don't know why this is that difficult either. Carlos, Pedro, Juan, etc., are all Spanish names that have a particular pronunciation. Just like Charles, Peter, and John are English names that are pronounced a particular way. I think it does have something to do with race because of some of the other comments that come with ones about her pronunciation. Some people are completely unaware that Puerto Rico is a part of the US, or at least pretend to, and like to throw all Spanish speaking places together. Like naming a city in Mexico as being in Puerto Rico. I think it really has to do with some people not liking to see people with darker skin or accents on "their" TV show.

#17   2013/10/29 10:13AM
    ReignOfTerror

Quote Mrs. Lansing:
    Quote ReignOfTerror:
    Quote ReignOfTerror:

I don't know why this is that difficult either. Carlos, Pedro, Juan, etc., are all Spanish names that have a particular pronunciation. Just like Charles, Peter, and John are English names that are pronounced a particular way. I think it does have something to do with race because of some of the other comments that come with ones about her pronunciation. Some people are completely unaware that Puerto Rico is a part of the US, or at least pretend to, and like to throw all Spanish speaking places together. Like naming a city in Mexico as being in Puerto Rico. I think it really has to do with some people not liking to see people with darker skin or accents on "their" TV show.

Oh I definitely believe it's the race from particular posters because of the one posted a few weeks ago making fun of not only the race (and another race) but making fun of Felix and listing all the stereotypes of "those people". Not saying anyone is a racist or bigot.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/10/29 10:14AM
    #18   2013/10/29 12:03PM
    lvmyabcsoaps

I have no problem with her race, but I can't stand her. The funny thing is I just wrote something about her and the accent that she has only when she says Carlos. It's lame. I would rather her have an accent all the time ( like Gloria on Modern Family) or none at all. She just chases Patrick all of the time and there is no chemistry, but she seems to have it Carlos since she keeps going back to him to yell at him. Patrick is still sad about Robin being dead, but I can't wait until that changes.

#19   2013/10/29 12:07PM
    Mrs. Lansing

Quote lvmyabcsoaps: I have no problem with her race, but I can't stand her. The funny thing is I just wrote something about her and the accent that she has only when she says Carlos. It's lame. I would rather her have an accent all the time ( like Gloria on Modern Family) or none at all. She just chases Patrick all of the time and there is no chemistry, but she seems to have it Carlos since she keeps going back to him to yell at him. Patrick is still sad about Robin being dead, but I can't wait until that changes.

What do you find lame about her pronouncing Carlos correctly? It is a Spanish name with a distinct pronunciation. I don't understand why it is seen as out of the ordinary.

#20   2013/10/29 12:13PM
    lvmyabcsoaps

The fact that it is the only time she throws on an accent is with his name, but then again I thought that I made my point when I referred to Gloria from Modern Family. My mother has an accent and it's with everything that she says not just a name. So should everyone speak like that when saying a certain name from another country?

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list