List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: Vintage Lante - All things Dante & Lulu

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Vintage Lante - All things Dante & Lulu

Started by mrsmcmoose at 2013/09/22 04:24PM
    Latest post: 2014/05/18 04:16AM, Views: 20010, Replies: 219
    « 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 » »| page:
    #181   2013/11/04 08:02AM
    Re: Vintage Lante - All things Dante & Lulu
    Caitie

Adding to above post with some very current material, I’ll speak about two examples where Dom’s acting made the scenes. Both were wordless scenes but ones which carried considerable emotion.

The first was Dom standing over Connie’s crib after Dante’s heart-breaking conversation with Olivia after the christening chaos. Yes, the writers could write a moment stating that Dante stands over the baby’s crib and looks devastated. And the director could tell him to fight with tears. BUT – huge BUT – without Dom’s ability to bring the writing and directing to life and to create the “feeling” of heartbreak, the emotional impact wanted by the writer and director would be lost or at least significantly lessened.

The second was in the same episode – at the end when Lulu firmly stated she would not give up the baby. Quoting what a friend said about this scene, “he gave her a look of such confusion and pain, as though he suddenly didn’t recognize her, couldn’t understand her.” Again the writers can write and directors can direct, but it’s the actors who deliver the scene and make us feel the emotion.

As an follow-up to these scenes, what I’m hearing about the possibilities of this custody battle causing issues between Dante and Lulu, these scenes (especially the latter) could prove to be more than emotional points. They could also be important for plot development, emphasizing even more the need for quality acting to create the story.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/11/04 08:03AM
    #182   2013/11/04 03:50PM
    mrsmcmoose

The other night I viewed Dante and Lulu's classic "Opera" Date - 12/29/2009. A beautiful moment that embodied the spirit of Lante. But it was Dante's words to Lulu "that the music transcends language" which hit a chord with me.

Much has been written about ER's acting and portrayal of Lulu and her inability to resonate with a majority of the viewing audience. And more recently comments made that it wouldn't matter who was playing Lulu - ER or Julie - because it was simply the writing that was or has been making Lulu unsympathetic.

"the music transcends language"

Julie's delivery as Lulu was very much "music to our years". She approaches her craft with such a talent, that she is able to take a written word and delivery something remarkable, memorable.

Any actor can read words from a script. However it is the special actor that can take the words and separate themselves by making the audience live, breath, feel the story. Regardless of stance or POV. And Julie had such a gift.

#183   2013/11/05 04:20AM
    Caitie

Good morning. This article is about GH in general - the good and the not so good. The author discusses some points which are important to me - isolation of characters, plot-point writing and adjusting history to suit those plots. The current Lulu/Maxie story is used as an example.

soaptownusa.com/?p=4593#more-4593

#184   2013/11/11 04:13PM
    mrsmcmoose

Dusting off the Vintage Lante Thread. LOL.

Looks like the Court Custody Case heats up this week.

I miss JuDo. I miss JMB and I miss DZ.

#185   2013/11/12 04:21AM
    Caitie

Good morning!! This pic taken by Kirsten at a dinner party among friends last Saturday reminded me once again of that SOC article from a few weeks ago - about some stories just work better with the actors who created the roles.

instagram.com/p/ghvuUvTJAR/

#186   2013/11/13 07:02PM
    mrsmcmoose

Today was a very sad day for "Lulu". I feel horrible for the character Julie Berman gave so much passion and dedication. Overcoming the negativity and criticism for what was written for her character, with continued professionalism. Julie made us feel Lulu's POV - regardless of pairing - whether we agreed with it or not.

But yet today. RC took 8 years of this character's history - hard work, writing, acting, the interpretation of an actress - and tore it all to shreds. #POOF Gone in an instance is the mature, loyal, logical, loyal, smart, feisty Lulu. The Lulu that attracted Dante so. In place of a self-righteous, witchy, conniving version. One that never existed in Lulu's "worst" moments.

And as much as I despise ER's version - I simply do not enjoy this style of storytelling. I find it a cheap way out, lazy, despicable, twisted ... just another way for RC to get his kicks out of more camp, shock and awe.

Lante really did die with JMB's departure. Because the spirit of Lulu left with her. Perhaps the last defense. With ER, RC can write any version he wants.

And this post would be dedicated to all the Lante fans that TRULY appreciated the character of Lulu. As an individual character. Not those that hid behind the banner of "Lante".

And because we all know RC is "going there" ... lets just remember the way it was. Shall we?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnYOZQFJvd8

#187   2013/11/14 12:58PM
    lisae19

I can't believe all the Lulu hatred I see on my twitter timeline. Seems like the character destruction of "Lulu" is complete. And I agree Karen, I think it's a joint effort of RC and ER. It breaks my heart that all that JMB built up over the last eight years, just like THAT...it's gone.

But how smart does Julie look now for leaving when she did?

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/11/14 12:59PM
    #188   2013/11/15 05:20AM
    Caitie

Since the first scenes with Lulu “hovering” over Maxie aired, I developed a very uncomfortable feeling about this story – seeing it as one where all the characters involved could be damaged in the process. And ALL characters have been damaged – some more than others. AND, YES, EVEN DANTE IS NOW STARTING TO COME UNDER ATTACK. Up to now, he has had less POV than the others, being there mostly to love Lulu and baby Connie. But now that his feelings are coming more to fore, he, too, is starting to receive his allotment of poisoned arrows – a situation created by the poison pens of the current writers!

But this about the character of Lulu – the character most damaged by this story. Reading through places like #GH on twitter or the GHFB page, the HUNDREDS of extreme negative comments about Lulu have made me incredibly sad – for the character I have loved and for the damage to the way that Julie and previous writers “grew her up” over the years. This story is a lamentable regression for Lulu’s character and sometimes it’s hard to recover from scenarios like this.

As mrsmcmoose said, "I simply do not enjoy this style of storytelling. I find it a cheap way out, lazy, despicable, twisted ... just another way for RC to get his kicks out of more camp, shock and awe."

#189   2013/11/15 05:23AM
    Caitie

I’m feeling this especially strongly today because I find what Lulu did in pursuing the "murder" allegation the worst thing adult Lulu has done. Why? Because it was premediated - planned with plenty of time to change her mind - right up to the last minute when her unknowing husband asked what else was planned and she knew they weren't on the same page. People often speak badly of Lulu because of some outbursts and harsh words in the past. But, thinking about it, those occasions were very different in one important way - they were not planned and were in situations where Lulu had just learned devastating news and was at an emotional peak. I think especially of the scene at GH where Lulu railed against Lucky after Dante's 2nd shooting. Huge criticism has been levied against Lulu for wishing Lucky dead. And, yes, the words were harsh - but think of the immediate emotional shock Lulu was in at that moment!!! There she was still in her opera finery waiting to learn if the man she hoped to marry was going to live or die - after just having watched him struggle to breath - to hang onto life. Of course, harsh, emotional words could be expected in the heat of that moment.

But, to repeat, this time Lulu had plenty of time to reconsider - and cautions to do so from her lawyer along with obvious reluctance from Dante - yet she still chose to proceed. I know she wants this child desperately - but so does Dante. However, for Dante in this case, he is seeing with his own eyes the personal damage being done and is taking the higher road by not wishing to use any means to the desired result both he and Lulu share. Lulu, on the other hand, is being painted into a very dark corner in a story in which she should be the one receiving the outpouring of sympathy.

#190   2013/11/18 09:39AM
    Something_Sp...

Well it seems this farce will continue today. This s/l and ER's inability to bring any feeling or emotion to it have ruined Lante once and for all. My only hope is that the DD rumors are true and Lulu cheats on Dante. Their love story, for me ended, when Julie left and they brought in a sub par replacement. The character of Lulu that I so loved is forever gone due to ER's inability to grasp her intricacies and RC's horrendous story telling BOTH are just awful.

I don't look at it as my time was wasted watching a great character develop by the talents of JMB rather I had the privilege to see a pro in action. I will forever be grateful to her and DZ for what they together gave us. LANTE,as we knew them, IS DEAD it's a sad day for all true fans

« 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list