List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: Vintage Lante - All things Dante & Lulu

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Vintage Lante - All things Dante & Lulu

Started by mrsmcmoose at 2013/09/22 04:24PM
    Latest post: 2014/05/18 04:16AM, Views: 18402, Replies: 219
    « 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 » »| page:
    #161   2013/10/22 07:01AM
    Re: Vintage Lante - All things Dante & Lulu
    Caitie

"Impressively, this week stood as the series’ most-watched week in over 3 years in Women 18-34 and in over 2 years in Women 18-49 – since weeks of 9/27/10 and 9/26/11, respectively."

My comments on this quote about these ratings for the week of October 7, 2013, are focused on one of the high-water mark dates mentioned – 9/26/11 – and they are comments I could make, for the most part, in either Lante thread on this board. However, I respect the wish for some to talk about the present, and these comments reflect on Lante in GH’s past and, therefore, have more of a link to this Vintage thread.

The Lante link is that a Dante/Lulu story was one of the featured ones for this very well-rated 9/26/11 week. On the preceding Friday, Dante had been shot in the coffee warehouse while Lulu waited, dressed in her opera regalia, to accept Dante’s proposal. The ensuing week saw Dante near death and struggling for breath and Lulu, still in her operatic finery, dealing with the shocking aftermath of his shooting.

Those who know me understand how much I enjoy serious, dramatic scenes … and how important good acting is to me. Well, this week stands out as one my favorite ones for both dramatic tension and performance quality … making me happy to once again hear it mentioned among GH’s more successful weeks. Because he was the gravely injured person undergoing surgery, Dom’s screen time was limited; however, what he gave us was powerful and incredibly real!

As she reacted to the news and then waited for the outcome of his surgery, the focus understandably was on Lulu – and Julie delivered compelling performances throughout the week. My one wish for this week was that her scenes from each day had been longer and, therefore, good candidates for Emmy submission because, for me, this week in total was one of her best in in a very good 2011.

And the magazines agreed, with SOD choosing her as “Performer of the Week” and SID awarding her the “Gold Star” for her cumulative work for the week.

But, back to Lante history overall, this reminded me of how often Dante and Lulu featured in well-rated periods – with Sonny shooting Dante and the complex stories surrounding Brenda and Sonny’s wedding being two of the most significant examples. I’m happy remembering all the stories with which they wowed both us and the larger viewing audience … and want to take this opportunity to show continued respect and affection for Lante and for Julie and Dom’s past work … wherever we stand in the present.

#162   2013/10/22 10:06AM
    Caitie

Sorry about the duplicate post - I was caught in the boards hiccup and tried to post twice before I realized the error was not mine!!

#163   2013/10/22 08:31PM
    mrsmcmoose

LOL Caitie.. One can never have too much good material to read.

But yes. Those were some fantastic scenes with Dante and Lulu. I so miss our Lante...the couple that captured our hearts and made us not only watch. But feel their story.

Today was such a sad day for the character of Lulu. So sad.
    This is not about the nuts and bolts of the story - DNA, Britt's baby, Ben, Birth Certificates - but the way we should be feeling for the character of Lulu. On paper the viewing audience should be in Dante and Lulu's corner. They are the wounded party. But why is Lante (Lulu moreso) coming across as the villains? I feel that ER has just not mastered or come even close to the character of Lulu. After all these months. Excuses were made for portrayal as "spunky, happy" Lulu as "Laura-esque". But where does recent scenes put her now. She is coming across so harsh, so cold. This was not the intent of the story, I am sure.

I just can't see Dante connecting to this "delusional" persona of Lulu. Once the couple that could work through anything. They seem worlds apart to me in their perspective.

Interesting timing of reference to those scenes two years ago. Feeling Lulu's fear of marrying a cop. As compared to ER's Lulu today not feeling her plight in losing a child.

#164   2013/10/23 04:34AM
    daisysam

Morning Vintage Lexers!

I'll admit I've been staying away from GH lately, just YT'ing scenes I think I'd like from reading recaps. What I have seen has made me dislike Lulu immensely. Our Lulu had a hard shell but was soft inside and would think of the baby first. No matter how bad the writing, not feeling sympathy for my Lulu, cause she's no longer there. Oh how I wish I could see Julie play this out. Maybe I would still feel dislike, but I have a feeling the inner turmoil and love for Maxie would come through. I can just see her eyes glisten every time she talked about it. Those scenes with Spinelli yesterday (I caught one scene late last night) should have been so poignant but meant nothing because the actors have no history.

What time I do spend on GH I spend watching old vids and clips of our Lante. They were so sparkly together Last year at this time was so hearttugging but so loving!!
    You could see it in their eyes and in their smiles, even if there were undertones of fear from Lulu and confusion from Dante. I loved them so . . . .

Gotta run - fourth grade awaits!!!!

#165   2013/10/23 05:32AM
    mrsmcmoose

Quote daisysam: Morning Vintage Lexers!

I'll admit I've been staying away from GH lately, just YT'ing scenes I think I'd like from reading recaps. What I have seen has made me dislike Lulu immensely. Our Lulu had a hard shell but was soft inside and would think of the baby first. No matter how bad the writing, not feeling sympathy for my Lulu, cause she's no longer there. Oh how I wish I could see Julie play this out. Maybe I would still feel dislike, but I have a feeling the inner turmoil and love for Maxie would come through. I can just see her eyes glisten every time she talked about it. Those scenes with Spinelli yesterday (I caught one scene late last night) should have been so poignant but meant nothing because the actors have no history.

What time I do spend on GH I spend watching old vids and clips of our Lante. They were so sparkly together Last year at this time was so hearttugging but so loving!!
    You could see it in their eyes and in their smiles, even if there were undertones of fear from Lulu and confusion from Dante. I loved them so . . . .

Gotta run - fourth grade awaits!!!!

I love your post. I've been reminiscing about this time last year. Remembering the devastation both Dante and Lulu felt. Discovering she couldn't carry, beginning a quest in options of starting a family. As contrived as it all was - Julie and Dom still made us feel so much. Same team, same writing - but Julie just made us feel.

I remember the scenes with the adoption agent last year. And how silly it was that Lulu would fudge her and Dante's family history. But also remember the wit and humor Julie and Dom played the scenes - somehow glossing over the writing - with an end result of a young couple's hopes dashed.

It is this type of range in acting where I miss some one with Julie's caliber - able to switch emotions so quickly. Making us feel the story regardless of the words on paper.

My how things have changed.

#166   2013/10/23 05:40AM
    Meegs

I haven't watched yesterday's show but after watching Monday's I just couldn't feel anything for Lulu. I don't care for Maxie and Spinelli at all but I least I felt a little emotion toward them. With Lulu it was absolutely zero. And I think a majority of viewers can't connect with Lulu which is why Spixie are emerging as the good guys in this story. Plus with the rush of everything, we haven't had time to sympathize with Dante and Lulu as parents either. I believe Richard from SID had a tweet yesterday that the story would have been much better if it happened a year later after the viewer had invested in Dante and Lulu as the parents.

I saw a tweet from NLG saying that the custody battle was well written so it was hard to pick sides but I just had to laugh at that. The writing may be there but the acting from isn't there. Well it's there from three out of the four players but the one that should have the most emotion is just falling flat. Reading Caitie's post I'm just reminded of the incredible acting that we were accustomed to seeing and this new style just doesn't fit.

I know these scenes were shot around the time Dom's mother passed away but I do miss seeing Dante on screen. And just one quibble...how the frick do Anna/Robert, super spies of the WSB, end up captive by freaking Jerry, Faison and Obrecht? And how dumb are they to believe Obrecht would all of a sudden jump over to their side?

#167   2013/10/24 06:02AM
    Nulantesuxass

Rumorville: After Maxie goes on the run with baby Connie, Dante will leave Port Charles in search of both.

Meanwhile, the truth about Britt's baby, Ben, really being the son of Lulu and Dante is revealed. It will be Nikolas who will finally talk Britt into returning the baby to his rightful parents. Nikolas will continue to support Britt against the judgement of the citizens of Port Charles.

Maxie returns home with Connie, believing all is resolved now that Lulu and Dante have their son. Not so fast, says Lulu! Lulu wants her cake and to eat it too. She still wants Connie, and she wants Maxie arrested and imprisoned! Dante will eventually help Lulu see the light, comparing Britt/Ben/Lulu's situation to Lulu/Connie/Maxie. All of this will take its toll on Lulu and she could end up in Shadybrook. (There are some vague rumors going around that the-powers-that-be may use this opportunity to recast the role of Lulu...stay tuned.).

Where there is smoke there is fire......hope true for ER has RUINED Lante and more importantly the character of Lulu . Lulu is just not a appendage to Dante.. It's sad that miost of the nulante shippers only really care about Dante and not Lulu.. It's a fact they keep hiding behind. Stop hiding

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/10/24 06:03AM
    #168   2013/10/24 07:17AM
    Something_Sp...

Quote Nulantesuxass: Rumorville: After Maxie goes on the run with baby Connie, Dante will leave Port Charles in search of both.

Meanwhile, the truth about Britt's baby, Ben, really being the son of Lulu and Dante is revealed. It will be Nikolas who will finally talk Britt into returning the baby to his rightful parents. Nikolas will continue to support Britt against the judgement of the citizens of Port Charles.

Maxie returns home with Connie, believing all is resolved now that Lulu and Dante have their son. Not so fast, says Lulu! Lulu wants her cake and to eat it too. She still wants Connie, and she wants Maxie arrested and imprisoned! Dante will eventually help Lulu see the light, comparing Britt/Ben/Lulu's situation to Lulu/Connie/Maxie. All of this will take its toll on Lulu and she could end up in Shadybrook. (There are some vague rumors going around that the-powers-that-be may use this opportunity to recast the role of Lulu...stay tuned.).

Where there is smoke there is fire......hope true for ER has RUINED Lante and more importantly the character of Lulu . Lulu is just not a appendage to Dante.. It's sad that miost of the nulante shippers only really care about Dante and not Lulu.. It's a fact they keep hiding behind. Stop hiding

OMG how awesome would it be to FINALLY get rid of the albatross around GH's neck that is ER.

Those who are cheerleading for NuLante, need to take a long hard look at what made the Lante love story great. It's called believability, talent and an undeniable chemistry. Let's be honest there is nothing left of that in this current incarnation of what was once our favorite couple.

I agree with you Nulantesuxass people need to be real about why they hang on to this awful version of Lante.

#169   2013/10/24 04:05PM
    mrsmcmoose

For those on FB a message from Julie's Facebook Page. Let's all hope something fantastic is on the horizon for her.

"Hello Julie Fans! Time is flying! JMB says thanks for all the supportive messages here & to keep thinking good thoughts for her. Hope you're all having a wonderful week!"

I miss Julie. But more important I miss the character storytelling and acting that Julie represented so well. Able to invest in a character and tell a story without camp, props - pressure of plot point writing.

I would welcome Julie back in a dime. But with RC's writing and FV's direction, I feel her talents are just not a fit with this regime.

On another note - I am feeling a little bit concerned for DZ. He really has been written into the happy couple closet and limited with this baby story. Minimal - if any involvement with his brothers, Mother or Father. I also feel that Morgan is getting much of the similar type of storytelling Dante once had with Sonny. Yet another page stolen from the Guza playbook. At this point I can see him somewhat expendable. I think his popularity overall may have taken a hit without the strength of a leading lady.

#170   2013/10/25 06:27PM
    daisysam

Hey Vintage Lexers:

Feeling sentimental tonight. This video shows why Judo are never replaceable. Oh the emotions and feeling - Just Wow.

youtu.be/iE0tUvwH7hc - Dante and Lulu After All

Watch it and cry with me!!!

« 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list