List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: Vintage Lante - All things Dante & Lulu

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Vintage Lante - All things Dante & Lulu

Started by mrsmcmoose at 2013/09/22 04:24PM
    Latest post: 2014/05/18 04:16AM, Views: 18457, Replies: 219
    « 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 » »| page:
    #151   2013/10/18 03:48PM
    Re: Vintage Lante - All things Dante & Lulu
    mrsmcmoose

Caitie. How I enjoy your musings.

Your posts have touched on a hot button of mine. And that is the continued "ER has made Lulu her own" mantra I read on various Threads & Facebook, etc.

It occurred to me that ER has not been playing "Lulu" but Mrs. Falconeri, nothing independent of Dante to sustain the individual character. There have been snippets here and there, but nothing substantial to really display ER as Lulu. The passionate, loyal, smart, savvy daughter of Luke and Laura. And she certainly has played Lulu in the light that Dante found as such an attraction.

But rather ER has played just a snapshot of Lulu's life. I do think that if ER had come into this role more concerned about the role of Lulu as an individual, perhaps she would have had better success. But from the onset, it was all about reconnecting with Dante. Very little emphasis on who Lulu was / is or what made Lulu "tick'.

I just do not think that ER has the capacity to 'channel' Lulu's life experiences into her interpretation, to keep the character and the couple interesting.

#152   2013/10/18 06:32PM
    daisysam

Evening Vintage Lante lovers,

REALLY enoyed reading your posts Karen and Caitie!! Gives me a lot to ponder . . . . I try not to think about or give any credibility to what is on screen right now - I consider it a waste of my time . . . but I do love to remember what we used to have. And yes Karen last year our cuties were adorable as Cat Burglar and his precious kitty cat (oh I could go on about that!) They were so special and sparkly - and I agree too Karen that the glint in DZ's eyes are gone - he is going through the motions, doing his job. Nothing extra, everything is scripted. We know that didn't happen with JMB - they had too much fun and it showed!!! Makes me sad . . . . Night ladies.

#153   2013/10/18 06:54PM
    mrsmcmoose

Quote daisysam: Evening Vintage Lante lovers,

REALLY enoyed reading your posts Karen and Caitie!! Gives me a lot to ponder . . . . I try not to think about or give any credibility to what is on screen right now - I consider it a waste of my time . . . but I do love to remember what we used to have. And yes Karen last year our cuties were adorable as Cat Burglar and his precious kitty cat (oh I could go on about that!) They were so special and sparkly - and I agree too Karen that the glint in DZ's eyes are gone - he is going through the motions, doing his job. Nothing extra, everything is scripted. We know that didn't happen with JMB - they had too much fun and it showed!!! Makes me sad . . . . Night ladies.

They were SuperCute as the Burglar and The Kitty..very adorable they were. I just can't see ER carrying off a similar part. DZ and JMB just made such scenes special.

Glad you posted because though many of the Lante fanbase has gone elsewhere.. this is a great place to remember what made them special...DZ and Julie deserve that respect.

Just wish other friends would chime in..

#154   2013/10/19 07:03AM
    mrsmcmoose

Good Morning Vintage Lante friends...

Looks like Dante and NuLu are stuck in the Happy Couple Baby Closet for Halloween *sigh* ... Remembering a year ago how adorable they were as the "Cat Burgalar & Sexy Kitty" as they discussed adoption as a viable means for a family. Where does the time go?

#155   2013/10/19 07:45PM
    Costumer

Good evening all. I thought I'd swing by to wish everyone "Vintage Lante" greetings and hoping you are all safe and well.

Caitie and Karen-Your entries here are so well thought out and eloquent that I truthfully have nothing to add that you both haven't already touched on. TPTB should have these posts sent to them in hopes that they will truly read them for what they are: common sense views of who L is and what is currently missing from the character that we fell in love with. Whose place in our hearts was cemented with the growth she exhibted as she gradually grew in maturity over seven and a half years, and in part, as a result of meeting the young man who could unlock the cynical heart and release it to experience the full joy and breadth that a life as Lante could offer.

Now my beloved L and D are so close to bearing no resemblance to what I deeply cherished, that I watch with a mixture of annoyance, discouragement, sadness, and yes, resentment. Don't get me wrong. I still very much care about what happens to Dominic and his portrayal of D. I still see flashes (albeit few and far between), of the detective who himself was without a father/intact family unit growing up and who miraculously had been well on his way to having the same thing that his beautiful L had also been seeking.

I have given up that this recast will ever truly understand who L is as both an individual, and as a part of the larger Spencer legacy on the GH canvas. It's as much RC's writing as it is herself, her acting style, and acting choices. Maybe this is not an aspect for which she feels the need to pay attention to. Or maybe she isn't being asked to do any more than is necessary to tell the story at hand. I see her and despair that the L I knew is no longer present in Port Charles.

My solace is that she will never hold a candle to what Julie so lovingly created. And I am extemely grateful that "Vintage Lante" will live on in clips and music videos that celebrate just how special and precious they were when played by two actors who exhibited a perfect artistic sympatico. That is something that RC, FV and the current version of L/Lante will never destroy.

These are just my thoughts coming from a heart that sincerely misses the depth, beauty and, yes, complexity of what had been an exceptionally beautiful love story....tears, angst, laughter, fire, tenderness. "Vintage Lante" had it all and then some.....

Thank you and good night....

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/10/19 07:49PM
    #156   2013/10/19 08:10PM
    mrsmcmoose

Quote Costumer: Good evening all. I thought I'd swing by to wish everyone "Vintage Lante" greetings and hoping you are all safe and well.

Caitie and Karen-Your entries here are so well thought out and eloquent that I truthfully have nothing to add that you both haven't already touched on. TPTB should have these posts sent to them in hopes that they will truly read them for what they are: common sense views of who L is and what is currently missing from the character that we fell in love with. Whose place in our hearts was cemented with the growth she exhibted as she gradually grew in maturity over seven and a half years, and in part, as a result of meeting the young man who could unlock the cynical heart and release it to experience the full joy and breadth that a life as Lante could offer.

Now my beloved L and D are so close to bearing no resemblance to what I deeply cherished, that I watch with a mixture of annoyance, discouragement, sadness, and yes, resentment. Don't get me wrong. I still very much care about what happens to Dominic and his portrayal of D. I still see flashes (albeit few and far between), of the detective who himself was without a father/intact family unit growing up and who miraculously had been well on his way to having the same thing that his beautiful L had also been seeking.

I have given up that this recast will ever truly understand who L is as both an individual, and as a part of the larger Spencer legacy on the GH canvas. It's as much RC's writing as it is herself, her acting style, and acting choices. Maybe this is not an aspect for which she feels the need to pay attention to. Or maybe she isn't being asked to do any more than is necessary to tell the story at hand. I see her and despair that the L I knew is no longer present in Port Charles.

My solace is that she will never hold a candle to what Julie so lovingly created. And I am extemely grateful that "Vintage Lante" will live on in clips and music videos that celebrate just how special and precious they were when played by two actors who exhibited a perfect artistic sympatico. That is something that RC, FV and the current version of L/Lante will never destroy.

These are just my thoughts coming from a heart that sincerely misses the depth, beauty and, yes, complexity of what had been an exceptionally beautiful love story....tears, angst, laughter, fire, tenderness. "Vintage Lante" had it all and then some.....

Thank you and good night....

*waving hello* Thank you for stopping buy. And the thanks goes to you for your eloquence.

My thought is. I just don't know how much we can continue to "blame" RC and the writing team for ER's insipid acting. All other actors have been written by the same team. And yet manage to live up to expectations. I do think -right or wrong- Julie would have been given the same type of writing. But it was Julies' talent and love of the character that was able to make the audience embrace her story.

#157   2013/10/22 04:22AM
    mrsmcmoose

Good Morning -

A bit of a rant. While I am not that fond of ER's interpretation of Lulu. I do care about the couple, given the legacy and story each have told these past years.

I can not believe that the couple that is Lante - the children of Luke and Sonny - have been left with such a horrid story to be told. It is beyond contrived - just and excuse for RC to write a campy, court case - and watch more beloved characters strewn through the mud.

The Lulu that ER is portraying is NOT the Lulu JMB portrayed in the least. Gone is the smart, savvy, spidey-sense Lulu only to be replaced with this desperate, delusional rendition. Did Lulu NOT hear anything Alexis said yesterday?

Writing, acting - all of the above? Not sure. But I am not feeling the despair from Lulu. Dante is a background plot point and Spixie are getting the sympathies. Not sure it was all intended to be that way.

And for those siding with Lante to get custody of Connie. Wouldn't the better story be seeing a devasted, grief stricken Lante hand over the baby? And two other thoughts - I am sure this story is being written as vehicle to showcase Diane vs Alexis. And I highly doubt that the mudslinging will be limited to Maxie vs Lulu....

#158   2013/10/22 06:43AM
    Caitie

First, just a comment about how moving I found Costumer's heartfelt post about what Dante and Lulu and, specifically, Lulu have meant to us. Thank you.

#159   2013/10/22 06:47AM
    Caitie

"Impressively, this week stood as the series’ most-watched week in over 3 years in Women 18-34 and in over 2 years in Women 18-49 – since weeks of 9/27/10 and 9/26/11, respectively."

My comments on this quote about these ratings for the week of October 7, 2013, are focused on one of the high-water mark dates mentioned – 9/26/11 – and they are comments I could make, for the most part, in either Lante thread on this board. However, I respect the wish for some to talk about the present, and these comments reflect on Lante in GH’s past and, therefore, have more of a link to this Vintage thread.

The Lante link is that a Dante/Lulu story was one of the featured ones for this very well-rated 9/26/11 week (and the last week in a VERY long time to receive a consecutive string of 2's for daily ratings). On the preceding Friday, Dante had been shot in the coffee warehouse while Lulu waited, dressed in her opera regalia, to accept Dante’s proposal. The ensuing week saw Dante near death and struggling for breath and Lulu, still in her operatic finery, dealing with the shocking aftermath of his shooting.

Those who know me understand how much I enjoy serious, dramatic scenes … and how important good acting is to me. Well, this week stands out as one my favorite ones for both dramatic tension and performance quality … making me happy to once again hear it mentioned among GH’s more successful weeks. Because he was the gravely injured person undergoing surgery, Dom’s screen time was limited; however, what he gave us was powerful and incredibly real!

As she reacted to the news and then waited for the outcome of his surgery, the focus understandably was on Lulu – and Julie delivered compelling performances throughout the week. My one wish for this week was that her scenes from each day had been longer and, therefore, good candidates for Emmy submission because, for me, this week in total was one of her best in a very good 2011.

And the magazines agreed, with SOD choosing her as “Performer of the Week” and SID awarding her the “Gold Star” for her cumulative work for the week.

But, back to Lante history overall, this reminded me of how often Dante and Lulu featured in well-rated periods – with Sonny shooting Dante and the complex stories surrounding Brenda and Sonny’s wedding being two of the most significant examples. I’m happy remembering all the stories with which they wowed both us and the larger viewing audience … and want to take this opportunity to show continued respect and affection for Lante and for Julie and Dom’s past work … wherever we stand in the present.

#160   2013/10/22 06:47AM
    Caitie

"Impressively, this week stood as the series’ most-watched week in over 3 years in Women 18-34 and in over 2 years in Women 18-49 – since weeks of 9/27/10 and 9/26/11, respectively."

My comments on this quote about these ratings for the week of October 7, 2013, are focused on one of the high-water mark dates mentioned – 9/26/11 – and they are comments I could make, for the most part, in either Lante thread on this board. However, I respect the wish for some to talk about the present, and these comments reflect on Lante in GH’s past and, therefore, have more of a link to this Vintage thread.

The Lante link is that a Dante/Lulu story was one of the featured ones for this very well-rated 9/26/11 week (and the last week in a VERY long time to receive a consecutive string of 2's for daily ratings). On the preceding Friday, Dante had been shot in the coffee warehouse while Lulu waited, dressed in her opera regalia, to accept Dante’s proposal. The ensuing week saw Dante near death and struggling for breath and Lulu, still in her operatic finery, dealing with the shocking aftermath of his shooting.

Those who know me understand how much I enjoy serious, dramatic scenes … and how important good acting is to me. Well, this week stands out as one my favorite ones for both dramatic tension and performance quality … making me happy to once again hear it mentioned among GH’s more successful weeks. Because he was the gravely injured person undergoing surgery, Dom’s screen time was limited; however, what he gave us was powerful and incredibly real!

As she reacted to the news and then waited for the outcome of his surgery, the focus understandably was on Lulu – and Julie delivered compelling performances throughout the week. My one wish for this week was that her scenes from each day had been longer and, therefore, good candidates for Emmy submission because, for me, this week in total was one of her best in a very good 2011.

And the magazines agreed, with SOD choosing her as “Performer of the Week” and SID awarding her the “Gold Star” for her cumulative work for the week.

But, back to Lante history overall, this reminded me of how often Dante and Lulu featured in well-rated periods – with Sonny shooting Dante and the complex stories surrounding Brenda and Sonny’s wedding being two of the most significant examples. I’m happy remembering all the stories with which they wowed both us and the larger viewing audience … and want to take this opportunity to show continued respect and affection for Lante and for Julie and Dom’s past work … wherever we stand in the present.

« 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list