List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: Vintage Lante - All things Dante & Lulu

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Vintage Lante - All things Dante & Lulu

Started by mrsmcmoose at 2013/09/22 04:24PM
    Latest post: 2014/05/18 04:16AM, Views: 19971, Replies: 219
    « 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 » »| page:
    #141   2013/10/14 11:11AM
    Re: Vintage Lante - All things Dante & Lulu
    mrsmcmoose

Awww ... Thanks. While there are consistent posters, I am pleased to see "new" names post with the same perspective. Makes me hopeful more will post or share thoughts via snail mail, comment line etc. I think it remarkable and perhaps a testament to Julie that we are all still fighting for the character of "Lulu". Which is the very point that is trying to be made. That this is about the character of "Lulu" and NOT about Julie leaving. A clear distinction that needs to be made. And one that others do not seem to grasp.

#142   2013/10/14 03:53PM
    mrsmcmoose

Is it me? What truly is bothersome about this baby storyline is that Dante and Lulu shouldn't / wouldn't ever want to fight for a baby that wasn't their own. Why would they ever want to saddle a child with such baggage as a custody battle, given their own childhood and parent issues? The horrible truth is that they were lied to. Connie is not their child. They need to realize all this give Connie back and move on. If it rips them apart - so be it. But why anyone wants to see the story go this way astounds me.

#143   2013/10/14 07:37PM
    ghfansince70s

Quote mrsmcmoose: Is it me? What truly is bothersome about this baby storyline is that Dante and Lulu shouldn't / wouldn't ever want to fight for a baby that wasn't their own. Why would they ever want to saddle a child with such baggage as a custody battle, given their own childhood and parent issues? The horrible truth is that they were lied to. Connie is not their child. They need to realize all this give Connie back and move on. If it rips them apart - so be it. But why anyone wants to see the story go this way astounds me.
    I think that ultimately the baby will go to Spixie, however, I don't find it surprising at all that they would fight to keep her. They LOVE that baby. They loved her long before she was born and when they brought her home from the hospital, Lulu said she already couldn't imagine life without her. How could they just hand her over, even to her biological parents? They probably will have to move on at some point, but I think being logical at this point is unrealistic...this is a big emotional issue. And...this will probably cause people to totally dismiss what I just said, but I think ER is doing fine. She's not Julie (who I loved as Lulu), but I don't think she's doing a bad job.

#144   2013/10/15 03:55AM
    mrsmcmoose

Quote ghfansince70s:
    Quote mrsmcmoose: Is it me? What truly is bothersome about this baby storyline is that Dante and Lulu shouldn't / wouldn't ever want to fight for a baby that wasn't their own. Why would they ever want to saddle a child with such baggage as a custody battle, given their own childhood and parent issues? The horrible truth is that they were lied to. Connie is not their child. They need to realize all this give Connie back and move on. If it rips them apart - so be it. But why anyone wants to see the story go this way astounds me.
    I think that ultimately the baby will go to Spixie, however, I don't find it surprising at all that they would fight to keep her. They LOVE that baby. They loved her long before she was born and when they brought her home from the hospital, Lulu said she already couldn't imagine life without her. How could they just hand her over, even to her biological parents? They probably will have to move on at some point, but I think being logical at this point is unrealistic...this is a big emotional issue. And...this will probably cause people to totally dismiss what I just said, but I think ER is doing fine. She's not Julie (who I loved as Lulu), but I don't think she's doing a bad job.

Good Morning.

Is there anything even "logical" about this story at this point?

The way Dante and Lulu have been written in the past, this would be another one of those life changing moments we would have seen them struggle through. It would be very devastating for them to relinquish the rights to this baby but to me it would make more sense for them to deal with the fall out from just that. DZ is even quoted as saying Dante wouldn't fight for a child that isn't his. I just can't see Dante and Lulu wanting a child to grow up with the baggage knowing they took her from her biological parents. I would rather see Dante and Lulu sue Maxie for damages - monetary and emotional.

However I do wonder if this custody case is written to better suit ER's acting style. She isn't Julie, but she is limited in her acting style - which is one -dimensional. So I doubt she'd be able to carry off a more emotional storyline with much success.

#145   2013/10/15 05:10PM
    4alarmblaze

I think RC really dug a big hole with this baby story. I wonder if the outcome was Pre- determined because of BA going to recurring and KSt going on maternity leave? It's frustrating as a viewer when stories are started/stopped/changed because of situations with the actors.

I thought DZ said in a mag that he didn't think Dante wanted to raise someone elses's child? Now there is a custody battle.

Anywhoo..I watched some Vintage Lante today on SoapNet and it was the episode when Lulu walks in on Brooklynn on top of Dante.

#146   2013/10/15 08:46PM
    LanteIsJuDo

I saw the Vintage Lante with Hookah.nd AGAIN I ask- HOW CAN ANYONE THINK THAT ER IS EVEN IN THE SAME BALLPARK AS JMB???!!! She's not even on the same planet! She may have worked as Lizzie or Abby but her one-dimensional acting makes it painful to watch-even with talented actors like BA KS and DZ! I just can't!'

#147   2013/10/16 02:05PM
    mrsmcmoose

What really bums me out about "NuLante" is what we no longer get from DZ. I had truly hoped for an actress that could bring out the "heat" & "sizzle" in his character, much like Julie did. There is no more sparkle or twinkle any more. The spontaneity and fun no longer exists. His acting is just scripted and he does what he needs to do- nothing more or nothing less. I miss all the special little nuances he added to the couple.

#148   2013/10/18 07:54AM
    Caitie

Hi all! I’ve been thinking about mrsmcmoose’s comments about the character of Lulu – and about how important she had become to me as part of my GH viewing experience – and about how much I miss her as I had come to know and love her. A friend said she felt she has lost her favorite character – and I guess I feel that way, too. And, because I need to feel an attachment to BOTH characters in a couple before I can invest in the couple, I also miss the feeling I used to have about Lante. I sometimes envy my friends who still feel that couple attraction, but, for me, the magic just isn’t there (although I still adore Dom/Dante – just wish he had a greater variety of things to do). I can be happy for them that they continue to enjoy what we all once did, but I can’t share in that happiness. The bottom line in expressing these opinions goes back to a phrase I have quoted recently: “Art is about you – not about the artist – what gets inside you and makes you feel.”

This isn’t about being unable to accept change. I enjoy watching characters grow and develop on soaps … as long as such changes evolve naturally from life experiences. Certainly we watched Julie’s Lulu change considerably in her almost 7½ years on GH. Lulu started off as a difficult, relationship-challenged teenager, who wanted desperately to have a solid, happy, loving family structure, but who became cynical and disillusioned when such stability eluded her – both in family and love relationships. But, over time – and especially after meeting Dante - she evolved into a mature young woman who found that love, trust and family both with Dante and with a renewed relationship with her father. Her Lulu had moved FAR from being the cynical young woman, who thought she couldn’t raise a child and who distrusted romantic relationships, to being a happy person who loved her marriage to Dante and who was excitedly anticipating the birth of their child. And I loved seeing Lulu reach this point in her life. So this isn’t about wanting Lulu to dwell in her past. BUT, it is about wanting to know that she remembers that she had that past and that it contributed to who she is today!

However, now, I feel that Lulu never really lived her own life story. Oh, a few words are brought up here and there that reference earlier events, but there is no past connection of substance and not one feeling that the present Lulu was formed by her history. Wanting to “feel” a connection to her emotional past does NOT mean wanting Lulu to be the cynical, distrustful, doubtful, unhappy person she has been during periods of her earlier life. BUT, I want to “feel” that this life happened to her. I want to know that her past struggles and hurts have been part of making her who she is today. I’m just not getting that needed “feeling” with the writing and acting for ER’s Lulu – and, yes, writing is definitely a factor. But, whatever the cause, the overall effect is that Lulu’s rich story appears to have not really happened to her – other than as something to say a few words about in various conversations. For me, this lessens the complexity of the character – and my sense of caring for, and connection to, her. So, when she is blindsided by Maxie’s betrayal, I don’t feel as deeply as I had hoped to feel – because, emotionally, she is no longer the Lulu who was hurt so many times in her life.

As a small example, I don’t want to see a repeat of Lulu losing her sanity in Shady Brook or being threatened there and on the witness stand by Scotty. But I want to remember that these events happened and I want to see Lulu remembering that they happened. I don’t want to hear Lulu’s difficult history with Scotty brushed off as “differences.” Instead, I want to retain the Lulu who pointedly brushed of Scotty’s handshake with disdain in February – while still acknowledging that, for her mother’s sake, she would make a tentative truce with him. (Besides, I found that scene entertaining and intelligently funny – something I’d like to see more of in Lulu). This is what I mean by incorporating the past into her present – partly writing but also acting with the edge and knowledge that make her life experience uniquely hers.

#149   2013/10/18 07:59AM
    Caitie

Nor is this about expecting Emme to be a clone of Julie. We all “get” that she can't and shouldn't be – just as we all “get” that recast actors will put their own variations on a character. Of course, there will be differences with new actors!! BUT, there still should be a “feel” of the essence of the character … and this essence should be consistent with how the character has developed emotionally and historically … and not just what some want to see in the character. And, with Emme, I feel too little of Lulu as I had known her. I see similar comments from a variety of posters at six other sites … and some of these comments are from Emme supporters who like her, but who just don’t see her as Lulu. A phrase I see over and over again is that not all actors are suited for all roles – even actors and actresses who have succeeded in other roles.

We can expect more changes in Lulu in the future as her life evolves – whoever plays her on the GH screen. Characters should NOT remain static; however, character development over time and with good reason is one thing … but character manipulation to tell a story or to accommodate hugely different personalities and acting styles is most definitely NOT! Favorite characters and a sense of history … and stories and characters which remain true to these elements … are at the core of fan loyalty for soap operas for many of us. We don’t want to be like the poster I read on one site who said in reference to the current Lulu: “I just keep wondering who is the stranger in the room.”

#150   2013/10/18 03:36PM
    mrsmcmoose

Quote 4alarmblaze: I think RC really dug a big hole with this baby story. I wonder if the outcome was Pre- determined because of BA going to recurring and KSt going on maternity leave? It's frustrating as a viewer when stories are started/stopped/changed because of situations with the actors.

I thought DZ said in a mag that he didn't think Dante wanted to raise someone elses's child? Now there is a custody battle.

Anywhoo..I watched some Vintage Lante today on SoapNet and it was the episode when Lulu walks in on Brooklynn on top of Dante.

I do wonder if the writing for Dante and Lulu has been pared down to accommodate ER's limited range as "Lulu". Just hard to believe that neither have any other involvement with what else is going on, outside the baby custody s/l. Just a few snippets of scenes with others, but no real involvement elsewhere. And I find it interesting that Brik and Nik seem to be getting a s/l very reminiscent of JuDo's Lante. Makes me wonder.

As far as DZ he is quoted in SID that Dante would not fight for someone else's child 'given the type of guy he is'. I wonder if he means given Dante's ethics as well as being lied to during his childhood about his own parentage. Given ER willing to embrace an obsessed Lulu about Connie, I wonder if there just isn't a disconnect between the actors. #PONDERING.

« 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list