List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: Upcoming ABC Daytime show cancellation

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Upcoming ABC Daytime show cancellation

Started by Daphne40 at 2013/06/05 04:07PM
    Latest post: 2013/06/10 11:47AM, Views: 8350, Replies: 14
    1 2 » »| page:
    #1   2013/06/05 04:07PM
    Upcoming ABC Daytime show cancellation
    Daphne40

According to Daytime Confidential:

lAccording to FOX411’s Pop Tarts blog, Disney-ABC is doing everything they can to find a replacement for Katie, the mega-expensive, syndicated talk show they launched for Couric last fall.  From the report:

“While all television is going through a difficult time and programming is having a hard time finding its niche, Katie’s new talk show does not live up its expectations,” a source closely connected to the ABC show told FOX411’s Pop Tarts column. “Whatever constraints Katie experienced anchoring ‘Evening News’ [it is] certainly taking its toll, and her return to daytime has backfired.”

Others in the industry are even less kind.

“It’s an unmitigated disaster,” one seasoned studio executive said. “One of the biggest failures ever in syndication. Terrible ratings, no growth, shouldn’t be on the air. Where did it miss the mark? Let’s start with her, she is dreadfully boring. The show offers nothing new to the audience, nothing to say.”

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/06/05 04:08PM
    #2   2013/06/05 08:14PM
    Re: Upcoming ABC Daytime show cancellation
    Lizzytish

Why is this a surprise? Jeff Probst's and Anderson Cooper's talk show have been cancelled as well. I mean how many of the same show can be successful. They all talk to the same people about the same stuff -- it's boring.

#3   2013/06/06 04:02AM
    Bizlet

Wow I did not think she would last but I thought she would just get board.

#4   2013/06/06 06:10PM
    jilltidwell

People don't want to see talk shows.

#5   2013/06/06 06:26PM
    Daphne40

In my market the ABC affiliate dumped Katie 2 months ago from it's daytime line.

It's on at 1:35 am and will run out it's contracted agreement before disappearing in September.

#6   2013/06/06 07:55PM
    Lizzytish

They should put her back on the Today show -- they could use a ratings boost.

#7   2013/06/07 05:31AM
    dani9564

I just don't get it... Prime time soaps seem to be doing good they need to bring more daytime soaps back.

#8   2013/06/07 06:19AM
    Bizlet

The bottom line Katie is not Oprah. No one will ever match Oprah popularity. People actuality looked excited to in her audience no matter who guest was whether she was interviewing victims of abuse or a celebrity launching a film.
    Katie did well the first month or so she was on because they packed it with all the celebrity interviews. I knew once they transitioned to usual daytime talk formula the ratings would fall and they did.
    The question now is cheaper for networks to keep running through talking heads every ratings cycle or maybe reinvest in some daytime dramas that may actually hold an audience.

#9   2013/06/07 06:34AM
    alikat

Quote dani9564: I just don't get it... Prime time soaps seem to be doing good they need to bring more daytime soaps back.

I have a question and you made me think about it. I'm posing this question to anyone who wants to answer.

I agree with you that Prime Time soaps seem to do good.

Would you watch daytime soaps more if they were presented in Prime Time fashion?

Meaning...lets say they had 5 soaps that aired once a week. So lets say they keep GH as the standard 5 days a week show (or not) and they had from 3-4pm on Monday it's Grey's Anatomy, Tuesday it's Revenge, Wednesday it's Private Practice, Thursday it's Army Wives and Friday it's The Lying Game. Or whatever shows they created as daytime soaps. Do you think that would bring soap watchers back to daytime tv?

See, I think they could do something like that. It could be soaps that run on 26 week seasons and be produced cheaper than the nighttime versions. I think it could boost all of daytime ratings. Even maybe bringing back OLTL and doing OLTL and GH every other day at the 2pm spot giving Friday a talk show similar to SoapNet's Soap Talk and One Day With but not limiting the people to those on soaps now. Kick a little more money into The Chew and ABC could start pulling the ratings away from CBS.

#10   2013/06/07 07:39AM
    Bizlet

Quote alikat:
    Quote dani9564: I just don't get it... Prime time soaps seem to be doing good they need to bring more daytime soaps back.

I have a question and you made me think about it. I'm posing this question to anyone who wants to answer.

I agree with you that Prime Time soaps seem to do good.

Would you watch daytime soaps more if they were presented in Prime Time fashion?

Meaning...lets say they had 5 soaps that aired once a week. So lets say they keep GH as the standard 5 days a week show (or not) and they had from 3-4pm on Monday it's Grey's Anatomy, Tuesday it's Revenge, Wednesday it's Private Practice, Thursday it's Army Wives and Friday it's The Lying Game. Or whatever shows they created as daytime soaps. Do you think that would bring soap watchers back to daytime tv?

See, I think they could do something like that. It could be soaps that run on 26 week seasons and be produced cheaper than the nighttime versions. I think it could boost all of daytime ratings. Even maybe bringing back OLTL and doing OLTL and GH every other day at the 2pm spot giving Friday a talk show similar to SoapNet's Soap Talk and One Day With but not limiting the people to those on soaps now. Kick a little more money into The Chew and ABC could start pulling the ratings away from CBS.

I think the first thing networks have to do is look at the Nieslson ratings system, because. With DVR's and viewing TV shows over the web people just watch plain don't watch the TV the same way they did when that system was created.

I always think about about when I AMC got cancelled I was not working when that happened, but when I started watching the show I was member of a group of thirty women siting around one TV watching show each day for five years. Thoes five years were before DVR so even if any one of them were Neilson viewers their vote was not being counted.

Second thing networks really have to look at is production cost of soaps vs paying a revolving talking heads.

1 2 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list