List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: Good Books

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Good Books

Started by anybeth22 at 2012/02/07 11:22AM
    Latest post: 2013/09/09 06:14AM, Views: 13022, Replies: 268
    « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » »| page:
    #41   2012/02/08 10:27AM
    Re: Good Books
    Woodiwiss

I must jump in and add my favorites. I am a(n) historical romance junkie. My fav's are narrowed down to 2 authors-

Kathleen E Woodiwiss--The Wolf and the Dove--Shanna--A Rose in Winter

Jude Devereaux---The Black Lyon---Velvet Promise---Highland Velvet---Velvet Song---Velvet Angel

These are old books from the 70's and 80's when I was reading 3/4 books a week but they are still in print. Love romance. That's why I watch soaps, for the love stories!!

#42   2012/02/08 10:37AM
    Vertigobarbie

Quote Woodiwiss: I must jump in and add my favorites. I am a(n) historical romance junkie. My fav's are narrowed down to 2 authors-

Jude Devereaux---The Black Lyon---Velvet Promise---Highland Velvet---Velvet Song---Velvet Angel

These are old books from the 70's and 80's when I was reading 3/4 books a week but they are still in print. Love romance. That's why I watch soaps, for the love stories!!

I love both of those authors and have all of KEW's books. Another favourite of mine by her is Come Love a Stranger.
    I was very sad when I found out that KEW had passed away. The first book of her's that I read was The Flame and The Flower. I've read her books many times and enjoy them every time I read them.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2012/02/08 10:38AM
    #43   2012/02/08 10:56AM
    WickedAngel

Quote ghfanfare:
    Quote anybeth22:
    Quote ghfanfare:
    Quote anybeth22:
    Quote ghfanfare:
    Quote anybeth22: I have to share since we have been talking about ages and HP.

My dad is 63 and has started reading them. He is on book two and he just called me to tell me that he loves them and can't wait to watch the movies.

My mom was in her 80s when she read Harry Potter. Then passed them on to me. Read them all and saw all the movies except for the last one. I plan to see it, too.

That's awesome! It really is for all ages. The magic of potter

Totally! And the movies were so close to the books in the way I had pictured it in my head that it was amazing.

Now I just found out my sister is into Twilight. I had no idea! So she is trying to convince me to read them and watch the movies. Guess I will stop resisting and give it a try.

Ok here's my thing on twilight. Now understand I read the books a long time ago before they were popular so my thoughts may differ from the haters that just hate it cause it's a "teen" thing. They were a good read. Good enough that I went out in a rain storm at 10 o'clock at night to get the third. But that's all they are. There is no character growth. Bella is an annoying character that gives all young women a bad name. And the end of the series is such a wimpy way to end a story. But saying all that it is a good read. You just don't want to expect to much. But up to the last one I did love the series. But after reading it I see all the flaws. and I saw the flaws before the movies and everyone started pointing them out.

Books are better then the movies. I enjoyed the first movie, hated 2nd, enjoyed 3, and laughed my butt off in 4, abd dreading part 2.

I hope I didn't scare you away from reading them. I think you should just don't expect anything and you'll enjoy it more.

But that's just my opinion. Others on here probably disagree with me.

No, you didn't scare me away. I'm the type that if I'm not into a book within the first two chapters, I'm done.

I used to be the same way, but then I would have missed out on 2 of the best books I have ever read.

Pillar's of the Earth
    A World Without End

Mind you the reasons I was able to get through the first part of the books was because I saw the mini series of Pillars on HBO first and I knew it got so much better and then I recognized that it was Ken's stlye of writing with A World Without End so I powered through.

I'm doing the same with Game of Thrones, watching the show first which has helped me to read the book. I bought the book about a year or so before the HBO series started as a friend recommended it and I think I got 2 chapters in and put it down cause I was bored.

I came across the show, by accident because I was on a Pillars high and wanted to watch something similar and fell in love forgetting that I bought the book. lol. So now I am reading it a loving it!

edited: sidenote: Pillars of the Earth and Game of Thrones are very different, but the HBO description made it seem like they were similar which is why I watched it.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2012/02/08 11:00AM
    #44   2012/02/08 11:20AM
    Woodiwiss

Quote Vertigobarbie:
    Quote Woodiwiss: I must jump in and add my favorites. I am a(n) historical romance junkie. My fav's are narrowed down to 2 authors-

I love both of those authors and have all of KEW's books. Another favourite of mine by her is Come Love a Stranger.
    I was very sad when I found out that KEW had passed away. The first book of her's that I read was The Flame and The Flower. I've read her books many times and enjoy them every time I read them.

I cried when I heard about KEW. I wish the literary and movie world would recognize her the way they do with Jane Austen. I have read her books countless times and enjoy them as much as I did when I first read them. Christopher Seton is my fav hero. And don't get me started on Shanna, that book should be a movie. Love,passion, adventure, intrigue and a happy ending. The Flame and the Flower was my first romance novel and I was hooked. Wish TPTB at GH would start reading some romance novels, maybe they would come up with better love stories. They sure could use a jolt of something other than the boring dialogue with no action that's been given us lately. They need some inspiration, maybe I'll mail them a copy of Shanna. lol

#45   2012/02/08 11:41AM
    alikat

Quote Woodiwiss:
    Quote Vertigobarbie:

I cried when I heard about KEW. I wish the literary and movie world would recognize her the way they do with Jane Austen. I have read her books countless times and enjoy them as much as I did when I first read them. Christopher Seton is my fav hero. And don't get me started on Shanna, that book should be a movie. Love,passion, adventure, intrigue and a happy ending. The Flame and the Flower was my first romance novel and I was hooked. Wish TPTB at GH would start reading some romance novels, maybe they would come up with better love stories. They sure could use a jolt of something other than the boring dialogue with no action that's been given us lately. They need some inspiration, maybe I'll mail them a copy of Shanna. lol

I'm not sure if you realize this but your user name is EXACTLY the same as the last name of your favorite author.

Just sayin' <--- I'm very sharp and pick up on things like that where others may not

#46   2012/02/08 12:05PM
    Woodiwiss

Quote alikat:
    Quote Woodiwiss:
    Quote Vertigobarbie:

I'm not sure if you realize this but your user name is EXACTLY the same as the last name of your favorite author.

Just sayin' <--- I'm very sharp and pick up on things like that where others may not

You're good!!! PCPD could use your expertise.

#47   2012/02/08 12:15PM
    cupcake12

I LOVE this topic cause I LOVE books. I have many books that I love like the Harry Potter books. My favorite books are The Chronicles of Narnia , Pride and Prejudice, The Outsiders, and the series A Song of Ice and Fire. I love all Sherlock Holmes books. Im more of a fantasy and mystery book girl. I love all Agatha Christie novels and the classics like The Count of Monte Cristo, Treasure Island, etc

#48   2012/02/08 03:08PM
    fireball

Quote hotspice58: I love Grisham and Patterson. Perri O'Shaughnessy has a series about a lawyer in Lake Tahoe. It's a series if you're into mystery. Amy Tan is good. I've tried reading maya Angelou but couldn't get into her. Walter Mosley (he wrote Devil In a Blue Dress - movie with Denzel Washington). I grew up on Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. I used to read Danielle Steele but her books are all love stories with different time periods and places.

Love Walter Mosley!

#49   2012/02/08 05:59PM
    Devil-or-Angel

Quote anybeth22:
    Quote ghfanfare:
    Quote anybeth22:
    Quote ghfanfare:
    Quote anybeth22: I have to share since we have been talking about ages and HP.

My dad is 63 and has started reading them. He is on book two and he just called me to tell me that he loves them and can't wait to watch the movies.

My mom was in her 80s when she read Harry Potter. Then passed them on to me. Read them all and saw all the movies except for the last one. I plan to see it, too.

That's awesome! It really is for all ages. The magic of potter

Totally! And the movies were so close to the books in the way I had pictured it in my head that it was amazing.

Now I just found out my sister is into Twilight. I had no idea! So she is trying to convince me to read them and watch the movies. Guess I will stop resisting and give it a try.

Ok here's my thing on twilight. Now understand I read the books a long time ago before they were popular so my thoughts may differ from the haters that just hate it cause it's a "teen" thing. They were a good read. Good enough that I went out in a rain storm at 10 o'clock at night to get the third. But that's all they are. There is no character growth. Bella is an annoying character that gives all young women a bad name. And the end of the series is such a wimpy way to end a story. But saying all that it is a good read. You just don't want to expect to much. But up to the last one I did love the series. But after reading it I see all the flaws. and I saw the flaws before the movies and everyone started pointing them out.

Books are better then the movies. I enjoyed the first movie, hated 2nd, enjoyed 3, and laughed my butt off in 4, abd dreading part 2.

I hope I didn't scare you away from reading them. I think you should just don't expect anything and you'll enjoy it more.

But that's just my opinion. Others on here probably disagree with me.

I'm so glad that I am not the only one who felt that/this way about Twilight.

I resisted reading them at first because I did classify them as "teen". Then around the time the first movie came out, a friend who was/is a really big fan convinced me to read the 1st book. I enjoyed it and was hooked, read the next 2 books with in a couple of weeks. As soon as the 1st movie came out on dvd I watched but was a bit disappointed in the transition from book to movie (but I was expecting it). I was also disappointed in the last book especially the ending. Not enough to dislike it, it's just that I was expecting more.

#50   2012/02/08 06:06PM
    Devil-or-Angel

Quote Vertigobarbie:

KEW was one of the first romance authors that I ever read and I remember reading these 3 (The Wolf and the Dove; Shanna; A Rose in Winter). And I know I've read some Jude Devereaux too.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list