List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: Good Books

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Good Books

Started by anybeth22 at 2012/02/07 11:22AM
    Latest post: 2013/09/09 06:14AM, Views: 12790, Replies: 268
    « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » »| page:
    #31   2012/02/08 08:48AM
    Re: Good Books
    ghfanfare

Quote anybeth22: I have to share since we have been talking about ages and HP.

My dad is 63 and has started reading them. He is on book two and he just called me to tell me that he loves them and can't wait to watch the movies.

My mom was in her 80s when she read Harry Potter. Then passed them on to me. Read them all and saw all the movies except for the last one. I plan to see it, too.

#32   2012/02/08 08:50AM
    anybeth22

Quote alikat:
    Quote anybeth22:
    Quote alikat: In the past 15 months I've really gotten back into reading and now I read A LOT!!!

Kindle made it so easy to read again and I'm really glad because I'd lost the passion and the attention span for reading for over a decade. (Career and family hindered it also)

My cbff and a few other friends were discussing The Bridgertons (Julia Quinn series) on twitter and I was like, WTF? Well, I downloaded the first book of the series and haven't stopped reading since.

I've read everything Julia Quinn has written. I averaged 2-3 books a week. I've since slowed down a bit and branched out from a very tunneled style writing/genre that I read.

I've always loved anything to do with England and the Regency period. The early 19th Century England is so much fun to read because I'm such an independent, free, headstrong woman that I just giggle at some of the rules for women back then.

NEVER SHOW YOUR ANKLES

Other great authors of that genre are Karen Hawkins, Suzanne Enoch, Sabrina Jeffries. Those three plus Julia are my four favorites right now. I'll have read all of their books (Regency period romance genre) by the end of 2012. I like books in a series because I hate for books to end and series kind of allows it to continue a little.

Recently, a group of friends started a book club online and our first book was Unsung Hero by Suzanne Brockman. It's romance and intrigue and action and Navy Seals...Unsung Hero is the first in a series about this group of Navy Seals and it's setting is around the millenium. It's so good that I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

Since I just finished that book yesterday, I went back to what I like and I'm starting on And Then He Kissed Her by Laura Lee Guhrke. I hope it's good.

My mother and my step-mother have both suggested books in the genre that I like. Unfortunately, I chose the one book from each author that both of them said "oh, that's not a really good one" Georgette Heyer and Catherine Coulture, I read Toll Bridge and The Sherbrooke Bride. I actually found them both a little difficult to read. Maybe the sentence structure or something. But since both mom's have said I picked their not so great books, I'm going to give each author another try.

I could list authors and books for days as in the year that I've been back to reading I've expanded but before I stopped reading it was Sidney Sheldon, James Patterson, Jackie Collins

When I was little, I loved Nancy Drew Mystery series and The Hardy Boys Mystery Series. And anything written by Judy Blume.

Quinn is fabulous. And The Bridgertons were great. It's a series I can read over and over.

Coulter is a hard one to get into. I've read all of her time pieces but some of them I had to force myself to read. But there's others that I really like.

I know, I love Julia Quinn so much that even though I own all of her books on Kindle, I've ordered hardback copies of the entire Bridgerton Series through Amazon.com. I should get the first shipment today in the mail. I've also ordered two full sets of paperbacks of The Bridgerton's to give to my two nieces who are turning 16 & 17 as their birthday presents this summer.

HA...I have a coffee mug (bought one for me and one for my cbff ~ BeautifulBlueEyes on this MB) that says "I take tea with Violet Bridgerton at Number 5" That and my Daytime Connection coffee mug are my favorites.

You know anybeth...you and I seem to have a lot in common...well except for the obvious

Yep and the obvious being that you like spongebob and I don't

#33   2012/02/08 08:52AM
    anybeth22

Quote ghfanfare:

My dad is 63 and has started reading them. He is on book two and he just called me to tell me that he loves them and can't wait to watch the movies.

My mom was in her 80s when she read Harry Potter. Then passed them on to me. Read them all and saw all the movies except for the last one. I plan to see it, too.

That's awesome! It really is for all ages. The magic of potter

#34   2012/02/08 09:05AM
    ghfanfare

Quote anybeth22:
    Quote ghfanfare:

Totally! And the movies were so close to the books in the way I had pictured it in my head that it was amazing.

Now I just found out my sister is into Twilight. I had no idea! So she is trying to convince me to read them and watch the movies. Guess I will stop resisting and give it a try.

#35   2012/02/08 09:14AM
    alikat

Quote anybeth22:
    Quote alikat:
    Quote anybeth22:
    Quote alikat: In the past 15 months I've really gotten back into reading and now I read A LOT!!!

Kindle made it so easy to read again and I'm really glad because I'd lost the passion and the attention span for reading for over a decade. (Career and family hindered it also)

My cbff and a few other friends were discussing The Bridgertons (Julia Quinn series) on twitter and I was like, WTF? Well, I downloaded the first book of the series and haven't stopped reading since.

I've read everything Julia Quinn has written. I averaged 2-3 books a week. I've since slowed down a bit and branched out from a very tunneled style writing/genre that I read.

I've always loved anything to do with England and the Regency period. The early 19th Century England is so much fun to read because I'm such an independent, free, headstrong woman that I just giggle at some of the rules for women back then.

NEVER SHOW YOUR ANKLES

Other great authors of that genre are Karen Hawkins, Suzanne Enoch, Sabrina Jeffries. Those three plus Julia are my four favorites right now. I'll have read all of their books (Regency period romance genre) by the end of 2012. I like books in a series because I hate for books to end and series kind of allows it to continue a little.

Recently, a group of friends started a book club online and our first book was Unsung Hero by Suzanne Brockman. It's romance and intrigue and action and Navy Seals...Unsung Hero is the first in a series about this group of Navy Seals and it's setting is around the millenium. It's so good that I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

Since I just finished that book yesterday, I went back to what I like and I'm starting on And Then He Kissed Her by Laura Lee Guhrke. I hope it's good.

My mother and my step-mother have both suggested books in the genre that I like. Unfortunately, I chose the one book from each author that both of them said "oh, that's not a really good one" Georgette Heyer and Catherine Coulture, I read Toll Bridge and The Sherbrooke Bride. I actually found them both a little difficult to read. Maybe the sentence structure or something. But since both mom's have said I picked their not so great books, I'm going to give each author another try.

I could list authors and books for days as in the year that I've been back to reading I've expanded but before I stopped reading it was Sidney Sheldon, James Patterson, Jackie Collins

When I was little, I loved Nancy Drew Mystery series and The Hardy Boys Mystery Series. And anything written by Judy Blume.

Quinn is fabulous. And The Bridgertons were great. It's a series I can read over and over.

Coulter is a hard one to get into. I've read all of her time pieces but some of them I had to force myself to read. But there's others that I really like.

I know, I love Julia Quinn so much that even though I own all of her books on Kindle, I've ordered hardback copies of the entire Bridgerton Series through Amazon.com. I should get the first shipment today in the mail. I've also ordered two full sets of paperbacks of The Bridgerton's to give to my two nieces who are turning 16 & 17 as their birthday presents this summer.

HA...I have a coffee mug (bought one for me and one for my cbff ~ BeautifulBlueEyes on this MB) that says "I take tea with Violet Bridgerton at Number 5" That and my Daytime Connection coffee mug are my favorites.

You know anybeth...you and I seem to have a lot in common...well except for the obvious

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTT???????????

You don't like SPONGEBOB? WTF is WRONG with you?

LOL...Just kidding

I have a friend who always buys me Spongebob stuff. She says, "Alison, everytime YOU describe a Spongebob episode, it's so funny and every time I try to watch, I can't turn the channel quick enough."

If the world were filled with people who all liked the same thing, I wouldn't want to live in it.

#36   2012/02/08 09:33AM
    Vertigobarbie

NEVER SHOW YOUR ANKLES

Ali did I ever recommend the author Mary Balogh to you? She is a British/Canadian author who writes some good Regency romance and yes most of her books are written as series. She will do whole families and even incorportate extended family or even friends into them.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2012/02/08 09:34AM
    #37   2012/02/08 09:36AM
    anybeth22

Quote ghfanfare:
    Quote anybeth22:
    Quote ghfanfare:

Totally! And the movies were so close to the books in the way I had pictured it in my head that it was amazing.

Now I just found out my sister is into Twilight. I had no idea! So she is trying to convince me to read them and watch the movies. Guess I will stop resisting and give it a try.

Ok here's my thing on twilight. Now understand I read the books a long time ago before they were popular so my thoughts may differ from the haters that just hate it cause it's a "teen" thing. They were a good read. Good enough that I went out in a rain storm at 10 o'clock at night to get the third. But that's all they are. There is no character growth. Bella is an annoying character that gives all young women a bad name. And the end of the series is such a wimpy way to end a story. But saying all that it is a good read. You just don't want to expect to much. But up to the last one I did love the series. But after reading it I see all the flaws. and I saw the flaws before the movies and everyone started pointing them out.

Books are better then the movies. I enjoyed the first movie, hated 2nd, enjoyed 3, and laughed my butt off in 4, abd dreading part 2.

I hope I didn't scare you away from reading them. I think you should just don't expect anything and you'll enjoy it more.

But that's just my opinion. Others on here probably disagree with me.

#38   2012/02/08 09:53AM
    anybeth22

Quote alikat:
    Quote anybeth22:
    Quote alikat:
    Quote anybeth22:

NEVER SHOW YOUR ANKLES

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTT???????????

You don't like SPONGEBOB? WTF is WRONG with you?

LOL...Just kidding

I have a friend who always buys me Spongebob stuff. She says, "Alison, everytime YOU describe a Spongebob episode, it's so funny and every time I try to watch, I can't turn the channel quick enough."

If the world were filled with people who all liked the same thing, I wouldn't want to live in it.

Lmao! One of my best friends loves Spongebob so I know exactly how your friend feels.

#39   2012/02/08 10:08AM
    ghfanfare

Quote anybeth22:
    Quote ghfanfare:
    Quote anybeth22:
    Quote ghfanfare:

Ok here's my thing on twilight. Now understand I read the books a long time ago before they were popular so my thoughts may differ from the haters that just hate it cause it's a "teen" thing. They were a good read. Good enough that I went out in a rain storm at 10 o'clock at night to get the third. But that's all they are. There is no character growth. Bella is an annoying character that gives all young women a bad name. And the end of the series is such a wimpy way to end a story. But saying all that it is a good read. You just don't want to expect to much. But up to the last one I did love the series. But after reading it I see all the flaws. and I saw the flaws before the movies and everyone started pointing them out.

Books are better then the movies. I enjoyed the first movie, hated 2nd, enjoyed 3, and laughed my butt off in 4, abd dreading part 2.

I hope I didn't scare you away from reading them. I think you should just don't expect anything and you'll enjoy it more.

But that's just my opinion. Others on here probably disagree with me.

No, you didn't scare me away. I'm the type that if I'm not into a book within the first two chapters, I'm done.

#40   2012/02/08 10:22AM
    justenjoy

I also loved the HP series and since some are disclosing their age, I'm 40.
    If you love Teen fictions there is a series that is excellent, the first book is called "Gone".
    Sara's Key is an excellent must read by all ages.
    And if you like mystery novels there is a new novelist who is amazing, her first book is "The Stranger You Seek". I couldn't put it down and can't wait for the second book to come out in July.
    Oh and another teen series is Beautiful Creatures, there are 3 books with a 4th on the way!
    A DIscovery Of Witches is another great read and first book in a series, Can't wait for the second due out this year!

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list