List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: Good Books

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Good Books

Started by anybeth22 at 2012/02/07 11:22AM
    Latest post: 2013/09/09 06:14AM, Views: 12766, Replies: 268
    « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » »| page:
    #21   2012/02/07 06:56PM
    Re: Good Books
    Devil-or-Angel

Quote LiasonSteckyFan:
    Quote Devil-or-Angel:
    Quote dwja: There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to what I read so I will name a few and probably be back with more.

Loving Frank. Its fiction based on fact about the life of Frank.Lloyd Wright.

Secret Life of Bees.

For some classics. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

Love Maya Angelou. Love her writing but also went to see her speak in college. She is just such a captivating person.

For a series my two favorites are Lord of the Rings and Flowers in the Attic. (I warned you no rhyme or reason) Just started the series The Girl with the Dragon Tattooe and like the first one.

Oh and the novel equivalent of a ” chick flick” Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons. Love, love love this book.

Ok I'm sure I will be back with more but that is a good start.

Oh I loved the "Flowers In The Attic" series!

I also loved the Flowers in the Attic series, I used to really like VC Andrews. My favorite of her series was the "Ruby Landry" series!

I could never get into any of her other series after the "Flowers" one, but two of my sisters did read several of them and they really enjoyed them.

#22   2012/02/08 06:46AM
    ghfan since ...

Nora Roberts writes a series of books under the name J.D.Robb that are about a homicide detective, Eve Dallas. They are some of the best books I've ever read. Gripping stories and the character progression is fantastic.

#23   2012/02/08 06:49AM
    alikat

In the past 15 months I've really gotten back into reading and now I read A LOT!!!

Kindle made it so easy to read again and I'm really glad because I'd lost the passion and the attention span for reading for over a decade. (Career and family hindered it also)

My cbff and a few other friends were discussing The Bridgertons (Julia Quinn series) on twitter and I was like, WTF? Well, I downloaded the first book of the series and haven't stopped reading since.

I've read everything Julia Quinn has written. I averaged 2-3 books a week. I've since slowed down a bit and branched out from a very tunneled style writing/genre that I read.

I've always loved anything to do with England and the Regency period. The early 19th Century England is so much fun to read because I'm such an independent, free, headstrong woman that I just giggle at some of the rules for women back then.

NEVER SHOW YOUR ANKLES

Other great authors of that genre are Karen Hawkins, Suzanne Enoch, Sabrina Jeffries. Those three plus Julia are my four favorites right now. I'll have read all of their books (Regency period romance genre) by the end of 2012. I like books in a series because I hate for books to end and series kind of allows it to continue a little.

Recently, a group of friends started a book club online and our first book was Unsung Hero by Suzanne Brockman. It's romance and intrigue and action and Navy Seals...Unsung Hero is the first in a series about this group of Navy Seals and it's setting is around the millenium. It's so good that I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

Since I just finished that book yesterday, I went back to what I like and I'm starting on And Then He Kissed Her by Laura Lee Guhrke. I hope it's good.

My mother and my step-mother have both suggested books in the genre that I like. Unfortunately, I chose the one book from each author that both of them said "oh, that's not a really good one" Georgette Heyer and Catherine Coulture, I read Toll Bridge and The Sherbrooke Bride. I actually found them both a little difficult to read. Maybe the sentence structure or something. But since both mom's have said I picked their not so great books, I'm going to give each author another try.

I could list authors and books for days as in the year that I've been back to reading I've expanded but before I stopped reading it was Sidney Sheldon, James Patterson, Jackie Collins

When I was little, I loved Nancy Drew Mystery series and The Hardy Boys Mystery Series. And anything written by Judy Blume.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2012/02/08 06:51AM
    #24   2012/02/08 07:03AM
    Nightmoves

I love to read but unfortunately I really don't have much time for it. James Patterson is my favorite to read. I LOVE a good murder mystery and I also enjoy biographies.

#25   2012/02/08 07:33AM
    anybeth22

Quote alikat: In the past 15 months I've really gotten back into reading and now I read A LOT!!!

Kindle made it so easy to read again and I'm really glad because I'd lost the passion and the attention span for reading for over a decade. (Career and family hindered it also)

My cbff and a few other friends were discussing The Bridgertons (Julia Quinn series) on twitter and I was like, WTF? Well, I downloaded the first book of the series and haven't stopped reading since.

I've read everything Julia Quinn has written. I averaged 2-3 books a week. I've since slowed down a bit and branched out from a very tunneled style writing/genre that I read.

I've always loved anything to do with England and the Regency period. The early 19th Century England is so much fun to read because I'm such an independent, free, headstrong woman that I just giggle at some of the rules for women back then.

NEVER SHOW YOUR ANKLES

Other great authors of that genre are Karen Hawkins, Suzanne Enoch, Sabrina Jeffries. Those three plus Julia are my four favorites right now. I'll have read all of their books (Regency period romance genre) by the end of 2012. I like books in a series because I hate for books to end and series kind of allows it to continue a little.

Recently, a group of friends started a book club online and our first book was Unsung Hero by Suzanne Brockman. It's romance and intrigue and action and Navy Seals...Unsung Hero is the first in a series about this group of Navy Seals and it's setting is around the millenium. It's so good that I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

Since I just finished that book yesterday, I went back to what I like and I'm starting on And Then He Kissed Her by Laura Lee Guhrke. I hope it's good.

My mother and my step-mother have both suggested books in the genre that I like. Unfortunately, I chose the one book from each author that both of them said "oh, that's not a really good one" Georgette Heyer and Catherine Coulture, I read Toll Bridge and The Sherbrooke Bride. I actually found them both a little difficult to read. Maybe the sentence structure or something. But since both mom's have said I picked their not so great books, I'm going to give each author another try.

I could list authors and books for days as in the year that I've been back to reading I've expanded but before I stopped reading it was Sidney Sheldon, James Patterson, Jackie Collins

When I was little, I loved Nancy Drew Mystery series and The Hardy Boys Mystery Series. And anything written by Judy Blume.

Quinn is fabulous. And The Bridgertons were great. It's a series I can read over and over.

Coulter is a hard one to get into. I've read all of her time pieces but some of them I had to force myself to read. But there's others that I really like.

#26   2012/02/08 07:43AM
    fireball

I just finished reading Robin McGraw's (Dr. Phil's wife)book it was fantastic, I read about 100 pages in a little less than 2 hours, she really bought me in, I find myself quoting things from her.

I also like Mya Angelo and other fiction writers.

#27   2012/02/08 08:21AM
    alikat

Quote Nightmoves: I love to read but unfortunately I really don't have much time for it. James Patterson is my favorite to read. I LOVE a good murder mystery and I also enjoy biographies.

I was the same way. From 26-40 I was raising a boy, moving up the ladder in my career and between homework, work work and being a wife, step-mother, sister, aunt, daughter, office manager, hr manager, etc...my brain couldn't take in anymore input without something going to the recycle bin.

It got to the point that a magazine article that was more than two pages was too much for me. I did a lot of reading but it wasn't for enjoyment.

Hopefully you'll find more time someday. With the new technology, I've really come to love being able to pick my book right up when I'm in the waiting room at the doctors office by using the Kindle app on my iPhone. Read at the beach, waiting at the DMV, lunchtime on my work computer

I like James Patterson too. I've got his books Private and Private: #1 Suspect in my que to read.

#28   2012/02/08 08:23AM
    hotspice58

I love Grisham and Patterson. Perri O'Shaughnessy has a series about a lawyer in Lake Tahoe. It's a series if you're into mystery. Amy Tan is good. I've tried reading maya Angelou but couldn't get into her. Walter Mosley (he wrote Devil In a Blue Dress - movie with Denzel Washington). I grew up on Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. I used to read Danielle Steele but her books are all love stories with different time periods and places.

#29   2012/02/08 08:27AM
    alikat

Quote anybeth22:
    Quote alikat: In the past 15 months I've really gotten back into reading and now I read A LOT!!!

NEVER SHOW YOUR ANKLES

Quinn is fabulous. And The Bridgertons were great. It's a series I can read over and over.

Coulter is a hard one to get into. I've read all of her time pieces but some of them I had to force myself to read. But there's others that I really like.

I know, I love Julia Quinn so much that even though I own all of her books on Kindle, I've ordered hardback copies of the entire Bridgerton Series through Amazon.com. I should get the first shipment today in the mail. I've also ordered two full sets of paperbacks of The Bridgerton's to give to my two nieces who are turning 16 & 17 as their birthday presents this summer.

HA...I have a coffee mug (bought one for me and one for my cbff ~ BeautifulBlueEyes on this MB) that says "I take tea with Violet Bridgerton at Number 5" That and my Daytime Connection coffee mug are my favorites.

You know anybeth...you and I seem to have a lot in common...well except for the obvious

#30   2012/02/08 08:32AM
    alikat

Quote fireball: I just finished reading Robin McGraw's (Dr. Phil's wife)book it was fantastic, I read about 100 pages in a little less than 2 hours, she really bought me in, I find myself quoting things from her.

I also like Mya Angelo and other fiction writers.

WOW 100 pages in 2 hours...that's fabulous. Sometimes I wish I could read that fast. I'm a slow reader and I also have to reread paragraphs and pages sometimes. I don't know why but that's just how my brain works, I guess. I've always envied people who can read quickly and digest the content and comprehend it.

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list