List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: Good Books

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Good Books

Started by anybeth22 at 2012/02/07 11:22AM
    Latest post: 2013/09/09 06:14AM, Views: 12383, Replies: 268
    « 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 page:
    #261   2013/09/06 08:53PM
    Re: Good Books
    LiasonSteckyFan

Took some digging for me to find this thead!

So, has anybody read anything good over the summer?

I see a lot of fans aren't very happy with the casting of the movie for the 50 Shades of Grey series...any of you ladies read the books? I did, wasn't really a big fan, I thought the writing was super repetitive.

I read the Bared to You series last month and I thought that was 10x better story and writing then 50 Shades, but of course thats just my opinion.

After watching Something Borrowed with Kate Hudson. I decided to read the book and the second one Something Blue - Emily Griffin. The books are great I really enjoyed them.

I also re-read the second book of The Hunger Games this week to get ready for the second movie

#262   2013/09/07 06:29AM
    Mrs. Lansing

Is this thread just for fiction or non-fiction too? I've recently been reading a lot of non-fiction. Finished Dirty Wars: The World Is A Battlefield by Jeremy Scahill. A really good book for anyone interested in US foreign policy; we hold no moral authority over anyone!
    Currently I'm reading Searching For Mercy Street: My Journey Back To My Mother Anne Sexton by Linda Gray Sexton.

My favorite fiction writers are Joyce Carol Oates, Margaret Atwood, and Isabel Allende. I just ordered Margaret Atwood's MaddAdam, the last book in the trilogy that started with Oryx And Crake, and The Year Of The Flood. It's sort of a Hunger Games for adults.

#263   2013/09/07 08:06AM
    alissain

J.A. Jance is good. She stays with the same characters and also has strong female characters. Good writer, good reading.

#264   2013/09/07 11:04AM
    flanndreams

I just discovered this thread (sorry, didn't have to time to read all the posts) and since I love reading books in my spare time (don't feel complete without something to read), I'll share my thoughts.

I'm not embarrassed to admit that I've always favored cheesy, steamy romance novels. During the last few years I especially got into a lot of paranormal romance...vampire novels, to be exact. LOL. No Twilight for me, though; at the insistence of a friend who's crazy over the Twilight books and movies I tried the first book but it kept putting me to sleep. I was barely able to finish it. Anyway, over the last year & a half or so my taste has shifted a bit due to the fact that I discovered how fun it is to hunt for used books at Goodwill, so my choices have depended on whatever selections they have available there. I've been lucky because so far all my choices have turned out to be interesting books, mostly crime mysteries (a genre which I had previously had no interest in).

Classics that everyone seems to love and praise are usually just boring to me , with "Wuthering Heights" being about the only exception (love that novel). Also, people of all ages seem to love the Harry Potter books, but I don't have any interest in the books or films that center around a boy wizard and his friends. That's just me. *shrugs*

As for the whole 50 Shades craze, that's another that I just don't get. I read the first book and thought there was nothing new or exciting to it. I didn't even think it was all that steamy; it was more talk than action and at times it seemed like the author just had a certain number of pages to fill, so it was a lot of back and forth e-mails between the lead characters and the posting of the relationship rules (forget what it was actually called) over and over. I didn't even bother with books 2 and 3.

Just my opinion. Not trying to insult anyone's taste.

#265   2013/09/07 11:53AM
    ghfanfare

^^^We like what we like. It's all good! While I loved all the Harry Potter books and movies, could not get into Twilight or any of the vampire stuff at all.

I read a variety of books, but these days I am drawn toward historical novels, esp. ones with romance. The Regency romances are fun and an easy read. Fortunately the library has a lot of them I can borrow for kindle. Absolutely love being able to borrow books that way.

#266   2013/09/07 01:12PM
    BringBackStarr

1---Top of the Rock: Inside the Rise and Fall of Must See TV

(oh how the mighty NBC has fallen)...A good book...Did you know NBC tried to cast Brooke Shields in the "helen hunt" role on Mad about you?....Or how the Friends cast got picked? Just some of the little casting nuggets in this book...A fun read for anyone who likes the juicy behind the scenes workings of shows....

2---Burn Your Portfolio: Stuff they don't teach you in design school, but should...

I have a rule---Never pay more than 16 bucks for a book---Not because I am cheap, but because why should you? Amazon, ebay, etc should prevent such financial commitments...I broke that rule with this book and havent regretted it yet...

#267   2013/09/08 05:09PM
    flanndreams

Right. Once upon a time my way of getting a book was to walk into the bookstore and buy it off the shelf or, if a title wasn't available, I'd have the store order it for me. I'd always pay full price. Then fortunately I wised up and learned there was nothing wrong with buying used off Amazon or Ebay--a book is a book and just as good new or used. As I previously mentioned, these days I even buy mine at Goodwill too. Unless it's something I just have to have as soon as it's released, I will never again pay full price for a book.

Oh, yes, and I'm old fashioned and still prefer an actual book, no Kindle or e-books or whatever they're called, for me. But I do understand why for some folks it's just more convenient to read theirs on a tablet.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2013/09/08 05:11PM
    #268   2013/09/08 05:27PM
    BringBackStarr

I will literally go to Barnes and Noble with a pen and paper...Thumb thru books...Find something I like---Write down the title...Then go home and bargain shop...B+N discounts dont do it for me...

Also---If you have never been to Half Price Books (HPB dot com)---That place ROCKS!!...When I go for a long weekend to Dallas---I ALWAYS go there...

Another helpful Hint----If Amazon doesnt have a "look now" option on a book you are on the fence about---Check your local library website..Might be worth getting it there and see if it is worth the purchase price to you...

#269   2013/09/09 06:14AM
    JaneDoe

Quote LiasonSteckyFan: Took some digging for me to find this thead!

So, has anybody read anything good over the summer?

I see a lot of fans aren't very happy with the casting of the movie for the 50 Shades of Grey series...any of you ladies read the books? I did, wasn't really a big fan, I thought the writing was super repetitive.

I read the Bared to You series last month and I thought that was 10x better story and writing then 50 Shades, but of course thats just my opinion.

After watching Something Borrowed with Kate Hudson. I decided to read the book and the second one Something Blue - Emily Griffin. The books are great I really enjoyed them.

I also re-read the second book of The Hunger Games this week to get ready for the second movie

I loved Something Borrowed and Something Blue.... she's got some other great books too. Where We Belong is EXCELLENT!

Have you read the Divergent Series? If you like Hunger Games, you will love it too. There are two books out now and the third and final comes out next month.

« 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list