List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: Good Books

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Good Books

Started by anybeth22 at 2012/02/07 11:22AM
    Latest post: 2013/09/09 06:14AM, Views: 13373, Replies: 268
    « 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 » »| page:
    #231   2012/10/23 09:03AM
    Re: Good Books
    alikat

Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote alikat:
    Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote alikat:
    Quote JaneDoe: Took forever to find this thread!

I decided to start reading Jane Austen's "Emma" this weekend, I've seen the movie and it was a free Kindle book so I dove in. It never even occurred to me after seeing the movie and never having seen it mentioned before that the 1990's movie Clueless was loosely based on this book until I was reading it! Talk about being clueless .... that's one of my all time favorite movies. What an AHA moment.

Oh Jane Austen books are in my "que" to read also. I've never seen the movies "Emma", "Pride and Prejudice" and "Sense & Sensability". I've always wanted to read the books first. I'm horrible about reading a chapter or two and then looking to see if a different books catches my interest quicker. I must have 25 books where I've read the first chapter. LOL

Glad you found this thread though. We had some really great discussions in here.

One author I'm loving right now is Suzanne Enoch. Of course I'm really partial to Historical romances and rarely stray from them.

So Clueless is based on Emma...hmmm it should be a fun read then. Maybe I'll start that this week.

Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book! It's the only Jane Austen I've read (multiple times too). I'm still reading Emma now, but it will take a while to finish. I'll probably continue reading it during breaks from other books since I've seen the movie and I know I can pick up where I left off easily. I've also seen a mini series on Sense and Sensibility, but I'm not as interested in reading that book. Right now I'm more interested in the new book I just received!

Did you get it? I downloaded a few more Jane Austen books last night. You got me thinking about them. Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey. I think I've seen movies or mini series on these two but I'm a glutton for books.

It's loaded and ready to read.... thanks again!

NP

#232   2012/10/23 09:54AM
    Vertigobarbie

Quote alikat:
    Quote Vertigobarbie: It's nice to see this thread again.

I was given book 1 of The Hunger Games for my birthday. I've heard good things about it and I look forward to reading it. Now I don't have to borrow it from my niece.

Have you read my Julia Quinn Series? It's an easy read, you could probably read all 10 books in a month.

No I haven't and I was off for 4 weeks but was working on my masterpiece instead. They're still in the box and I was looking at the box going now would be a good time to read these. LOL

#233   2012/10/30 08:02AM
    JaneDoe

Just finished "Where We Belong" by Emily Giffin. GREAT book!

alikat - I've made it through 1/2 of "Naked Heat". It's good, just like an episode of Castle!

#234   2012/11/05 10:10AM
    alikat

Quote JaneDoe: Just finished "Where We Belong" by Emily Giffin. GREAT book!

alikat - I've made it through 1/2 of "Naked Heat". It's good, just like an episode of Castle!

Awesome. I just got the new "short" of the Derrick Storm series.

I'm looking into buying the hardcover Nikki Heat series for my dad and his wife. (They refuse to read digital).

I'm in the middle of a series right now and after that I'll most likely start the Nikki Heat series. There are 4 of them out now.

One day I'll study to find out how exactly all of this "series and tv show" came about because the author is listed as Richard Castle and on the show when he has his poker games, I'm pretty sure those are the real authors like James Patterson, etc... So I'm wondering if "Richard Castle" is actually a pseudonym and one of those playing poker is actually Castle.

Either way, the show is fantastic so I'm glad the books are too.

#235   2012/11/05 10:14AM
    JaneDoe

Quote alikat:

I'm looking into buying the hardcover Nikki Heat series for my dad and his wife. (They refuse to read digital).

I'm in the middle of a series right now and after that I'll most likely start the Nikki Heat series. There are 4 of them out now.

One day I'll study to find out how exactly all of this "series and tv show" came about because the author is listed as Richard Castle and on the show when he has his poker games, I'm pretty sure those are the real authors like James Patterson, etc... So I'm wondering if "Richard Castle" is actually a pseudonym and one of those playing poker is actually Castle.

I'm wondering who the real Richard Castle is too. I like how they keep the author in character with the show..... but we all know that a fictional character isn't really writing these books. Maybe one day we'll have the answer, but I like your theory!

#236   2012/11/05 10:24AM
    alikat

Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote alikat:

I'm wondering who the real Richard Castle is too. I like how they keep the author in character with the show..... but we all know that a fictional character isn't really writing these books. Maybe one day we'll have the answer, but I like your theory!

So I just read Wikepedia (which isn't always perfectly acurate) but it indicates that Richard Castle is truly a fictional character and that the Nikki Heat books came out after the series and the books he wrote for the Derreck Storm series were never actually written but recently a series of novellas in digital format have been written. Interestingly, the first Nikki Heat book wound up in the top 10 of the NYtimes Bestsellers list. Quite a feat. I assume it's the writers for the show who are writing these books.

#237   2012/11/29 10:45AM
    JaneDoe

alikat: I finally finished "Naked Heat".... in between other books. I liked it! Thanks again for sending it to me.

#238   2012/12/27 10:18AM
    Vertigobarbie

I just thought I would bring this thread back up.

Some of my friends were talking about Game of Thrones and the rest of the books in the series. I downloaded the sample, which was about the first 5 Chapters of the book and I was hooked. I bought the book and am thoroughly enjoying it. It's not what I would usually read but sometimes branching out of your comfort zone is good.

#239   2012/12/27 10:21AM
    kenerly1

Quote JaneDoe: Great thread!

I LOVE to read, and at 37..... I'm a Harry Potter addict too. I think I've read them all about 3 times each, the 7th book probably 5 times.

LOVED the Hunger Games Series too! It is disturbing at times, but very suspenseful and entertaining..... I couldn't put the last one down or stop thinking about it when I wasn't reading it.

Loved the Twilight series too...... I'm such a teen fiction junkie!

My all time favorite book is Pride and Prejudice.

LOVE Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series.... can't wait to see the "One For the Money" movie.

LOVE most Jennifer Weiner books..... good chick lit!

I would love some good suggestions..... I'm in a book rut. Getting ready to read "The Great Gatsby".

Have read most of those tooand they were great. and love the Stephanie Plum novels and have read them all.."One For the Money" was a huge disappointment..Ranger and Joe were really well cast but Debbie Reynolds as grandma was a husge miss and the movie was just not well directed or produced..IMO

#240   2012/12/27 10:51AM
    alikat

Quote Vertigobarbie:
    Quote alikat:
    Quote Vertigobarbie: It's nice to see this thread again.

I was given book 1 of The Hunger Games for my birthday. I've heard good things about it and I look forward to reading it. Now I don't have to borrow it from my niece.

Have you read my Julia Quinn Series? It's an easy read, you could probably read all 10 books in a month.

No I haven't and I was off for 4 weeks but was working on my masterpiece instead. They're still in the box and I was looking at the box going now would be a good time to read these. LOL

You better read them. I'm on round three of re-reading them. LOL. Also, she just did a collaboration that came out yesterday that I just downloaded and it's in my que to read next.

I know I'm obnoxious about this author but I simply love her.

« 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list