List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: Good Books

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Good Books

Started by anybeth22 at 2012/02/07 11:22AM
    Latest post: 2013/09/09 06:14AM, Views: 12986, Replies: 268
    « 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 » »| page:
    #201   2012/09/10 07:41AM
    Re: Good Books
    JaneDoe

Quote Monkey83:
    Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote LiasonSteckyFan: Did any of you ladies read the 50 Shades Series? If you did what did you think of it? I know its a bit of a hot topic for some ppl!

I read it, mostly to shut my sister up! I didn't love them but found the books oddly addictive....I think I kept reading it just to see how bad it could really get! The writing wasn't great, or so I thought.

Also, once I start a book/series I have to finish it no matter how bad it is

I have not, and probably won't. I've heard they are horribly written, lots of repeat lines and phrases..... I HATE that.

Glad you enjoyed the Hunger Games..... going to rent to first movie this weekend. Can't wait.

I read the 50 Shades trilogy just to see what the fuss was about... they were good I think. I am a HUGE Twilight fan and it was very evident to me that the books started as a Twilight fan fic. The writing, imo and not meant as a bash, really wasn't great. A LOT of repeated lines and it seemed to be written at a high school level. Nothing like the Hunger Games. But if you can get thru the writing I thought it wasn't that bad.

I also like to finish a book/series when I start it or else I probably would've quit after a couple chapters.

LOVED the Hunger Games books. Team Peeta all the way!! I'm reading the books again for my English 102 class. Love it just as much as the first time. I liked the movie too, though they left out a lot. I'm curious to hear what you think of the move Jane.

I will let you know! I'm team Peta all the way!

#202   2012/09/10 07:42AM
    JaneDoe

One of the best books I've read recently is "Gone Girl".... absolutely riveting.

#203   2012/09/10 07:57AM
    Monkey83

Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote Monkey83:
    Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote LiasonSteckyFan: Did any of you ladies read the 50 Shades Series? If you did what did you think of it? I know its a bit of a hot topic for some ppl!

I read it, mostly to shut my sister up! I didn't love them but found the books oddly addictive....I think I kept reading it just to see how bad it could really get! The writing wasn't great, or so I thought.

I have not, and probably won't. I've heard they are horribly written, lots of repeat lines and phrases..... I HATE that.

Glad you enjoyed the Hunger Games..... going to rent to first movie this weekend. Can't wait.

I read the 50 Shades trilogy just to see what the fuss was about... they were good I think. I am a HUGE Twilight fan and it was very evident to me that the books started as a Twilight fan fic. The writing, imo and not meant as a bash, really wasn't great. A LOT of repeated lines and it seemed to be written at a high school level. Nothing like the Hunger Games. But if you can get thru the writing I thought it wasn't that bad.

I also like to finish a book/series when I start it or else I probably would've quit after a couple chapters.

LOVED the Hunger Games books. Team Peeta all the way!! I'm reading the books again for my English 102 class. Love it just as much as the first time. I liked the movie too, though they left out a lot. I'm curious to hear what you think of the move Jane.

I will let you know! I'm team Peta all the way!

Oops what you think of the movie* not move lol. I hated Gale in the books and didn't care for him in the movie.

#204   2012/09/10 08:20AM
    samhaincat

Quote LiasonSteckyFan: Took me forever to find this thread!

I just finished The Hunger Games Series......yes I am way behind the times I just didn't think I would enjoy them, its not really the kind of book I usually read. But, I loved them! Read all 3 books in less than 4 days

So glad you found this thread, I didn't know it existed. LOVED the Hunger Games, team Peeta for me as well.

Has anyone here ever read the FEVER series? Its not young adult, it is definately adult. Takes place in one of my favourite places in the world - Ireland. Its fantasy very unlike anything I'd ever read and very addictive. It modern day Ireland with a dark twist. Author is Karen M. Moning or is it Moening.

#205   2012/09/10 08:23AM
    samhaincat

Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote anybeth22:
    Quote JaneDoe:
    Quote anybeth22: Holy smokes! I finally got enough nerve to read Hunger Games. Wow! I can see why they are a big hit. Took me 3 days to read all 3! I'd start reading while kids nap then pick it up again after dinner and stay up till midnight to finish. It was an easy read but very hard to read because of they story. I cried about a dozen times each book. Books don't get me crying but these just broke me.

City of Bones series was kinda a disappointment. Read the 4 that are out and I'll finish the other two when she writes them but they weren't as great as everyone was saying IMO.

Now I have 4 Beverly Lewis Books to read this wk.

Have to know Alikat and Vertigobarbie did you ever read the shack?

Glad you loved Hunger Games! I'm reading the 4th Mortal Instruments book now too and while they are OK, they are nowhere near as good as Twilight or Hunger Games. I'll probably finish the series when it's available just to find out how it all ends.

I liked City of Bones and City of Glass enough to finish reading series. 2 & 3 were hard to enjoy. I don't want to spoil incase anyone else is reading them but the relationship between the jace and clarry just freaked me out. Even though I was sure it was a lie it grossed me out just enough to not enjoy 2 & 3 lol

It was a little weird. The 4th book is pulling me in now...... but did NOT like what Simon did to the girl!! I'm not happy about that.

Simon totally shocked me with that. I love that series, I'm all caught up and waiting for the next one. That girl you are referring to...well you'll see.
    Those books also started out with strong ties to a fan fiction the author wrote from Harry Potter.

#206   2012/09/10 08:27AM
    samhaincat

I had my editing group over for dinner one night and that series came up for discussion. Everyone thought it was awful and their comments put me off from picking it up. I can borrow from one of them but so far I've passed. Let my know what you think when the series is over.

#207   2012/09/10 09:29AM
    hayleedog

Right now I'm reading Jaycee Dugard's book "A stolen Life" I watched her interview on 20/20 and I loved her spirit. She is such a courageous woman.

#208   2012/09/10 09:32AM
    JaneDoe

Quote samhaincat:
    Simon totally shocked me with that. I love that series, I'm all caught up and waiting for the next one. That girl you are referring to...well you'll see.
    Those books also started out with strong ties to a fan fiction the author wrote from Harry Potter.

I'm caught up with them now too and I really haven't enjoyed the last couple as well as the first ones..... but I have to see it through to the end now.

#209   2012/09/10 09:44AM
    alikat

I'm such a redundant reader...I like the same thing all the time. I love Regency Period Romances. You know, the nice, light, fluffy love stories based in England in the early 1800's. Right now I'm reading the second book in "The Lord Trilogy" by Sabrina Jeffries. Love her stuff.

I think the biggest appeal to me is that this is the time where women were controlled by men, be it their father, brother or husband. However, many were starting to fight for independence. I'm constantly amazed when reading these novels and something is "unheard of for a woman to do" or "not allowed by society". I giggle and think, "Good thing I wasn't born back then. They'd have burned me at the stake for my evilness"

#210   2012/09/10 09:47AM
    harleydavidson

i am just loved..james patterson..now you see her....it was crazy good..i was so intrigued..i read it in one day...

« 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list