List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: Good Books

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Good Books

Started by anybeth22 at 2012/02/07 11:22AM
    Latest post: 2013/09/09 06:14AM, Views: 13307, Replies: 268
    « 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 » »| page:
    #111   2012/02/21 01:56PM
    Re: Good Books
    Texas Sunflower

Quote ghfanfare:
    Quote alikat:
    Quote ghfanfare:
    Quote ransomha:
    Quote ghfanfare: I just figured out how to download books to the Kindle from my local library. I'm so excited!

I have a nook and I think they only stay on your reader for like 2 or 3 weeks.

Yes, it's great. No worries about late fees.

OH...now I get what you two mean. How did you do that? I didn't even know you COULD do that. That would save me a lot of money.

I signed onto the website for my local library with my library card number. There is a heading called ebooks which is also subdivided into genres. I looked specifically for ebooks that were available but I can also put a hold on a book that is already checked out and they will notify you by email, cell phone, or whatever method you select when it is available.

My library allows you to check out a max of six ebooks. (There are also audiobooks available for download.) It's set up like a shopping website where you pick out what you want and put it in a cart. When you are ready to check out, there are options for whatever reader you have or you can download the books to a computer or other device.

I selected "get for my kindle" which then takes you to the Amazon website. You sign into your Amazon kindle account, select "download library book" and it then downloads the book via wi-fi to your kindle. Depending on the book, the checkout time is usually two or three weeks. When that expires, the book is automatically taken off the kindle. No charge to check out books and no worries about late fees.

This is actually one of the main reasons I got the kindle. No more opening a library book and finding someone's lunch (or worse!) in it. Awesome!

That is awesome... thank you for the info.... I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas so I can take email, soaps, and internet with me.. didn't realize I could get books. Yea!!

(I love the free games... Dirty Bird - I mean Angry Bird is so addictive!!!)

#112   2012/02/21 04:17PM
    NYsunflower

Quote Woodiwiss: I must jump in and add my favorites. I am a(n) historical romance junkie. My fav's are narrowed down to 2 authors-

Kathleen E Woodiwiss--The Wolf and the Dove--Shanna--A Rose in Winter

Jude Devereaux---The Black Lyon---Velvet Promise---Highland Velvet---Velvet Song---Velvet Angel

These are old books from the 70's and 80's when I was reading 3/4 books a week but they are still in print. Love romance. That's why I watch soaps, for the love stories!!

I think we may have been separated at birth!
    Romance novels are a pure guilty pleasure and one of the first romance novels I read was Kathleen Woodiwiss "Shanna" I think it is the best romance novel ever written. I also love her "Ashes in the wind"

My love of romance is also why I watch soaps.

#113   2012/02/22 04:29AM
    Vertigobarbie

Well we finished the first book in our little book club and had our discussion, now it's time to start the next one. I'm not sure that it's a book I will like but I will give it a try. If I can't get through it I will be looking through one of the many boxes in my spare room and choosing a KEW book to read instead.

#114   2012/02/22 08:32AM
    ghfanfare

Quote Vertigobarbie: Well we finished the first book in our little book club and had our discussion, now it's time to start the next one. I'm not sure that it's a book I will like but I will give it a try. If I can't get through it I will be looking through one of the many boxes in my spare room and choosing a KEW book to read instead.

I'm not sure I can get through the next one either. A friend gave me that book like two years ago and it has been sitting on my shelf collecting dust. But I will give it a try, too. I guess part of being in a book club is reading stuff you normally wouldn't pick out.

#115   2012/02/22 09:05AM
    Vertigobarbie

Quote ghfanfare:
    Quote Vertigobarbie: Well we finished the first book in our little book club and had our discussion, now it's time to start the next one. I'm not sure that it's a book I will like but I will give it a try. If I can't get through it I will be looking through one of the many boxes in my spare room and choosing a KEW book to read instead.

I'm not sure I can get through the next one either. A friend gave me that book like two years ago and it has been sitting on my shelf collecting dust. But I will give it a try, too. I guess part of being in a book club is reading stuff you normally wouldn't pick out.

Instead of buying the book this time, I have requested it from my local library. I just hope I can get it in time to have it read by the next discussion date.

The good thing about being part of a book club is that it does get you to read a book you never would have normally chosen. It opens you up to new authors. In all honesty I doubt I would have picked up The Unsung Hero if it wasn't part of our book club reading.

Modified 1 times(s), last time at: 2012/02/22 09:06AM
    #116   2012/02/22 12:44PM
    Texas Sunflower

Quote Vertigobarbie:
    Quote ghfanfare:

Instead of buying the book this time, I have requested it from my local library. I just hope I can get it in time to have it read by the next discussion date.

The good thing about being part of a book club is that it does get you to read a book you never would have normally chosen. It opens you up to new authors. In all honesty I doubt I would have picked up The Unsung Hero if it wasn't part of our book club reading.

I have read The Shack. It is different and just remember, it is a mystery and there is a twist to it. I will tell you more if you want but it will change your outlook on something if you read it....

It was a tad slow to start but get on with it and you will never forget it...... It is a good book.

#117   2012/02/26 08:52AM
    alikat

Quote Texas Sunflower:
    Quote Vertigobarbie:
    Quote ghfanfare:

I have read The Shack. It is different and just remember, it is a mystery and there is a twist to it. I will tell you more if you want but it will change your outlook on something if you read it....

It was a tad slow to start but get on with it and you will never forget it...... It is a good book.

regardless of it's "theme" being out of my norm, i'll read it. I'm glad you posted this MB. I don't want any hints or spoilers...I'm just glad to know it's a myster with a twist and not just a devotional.

#118   2012/02/26 11:30AM
    anybeth22

*sigh* why can't I just get paid to read all day? I have so many books to read and after this thread so much more.

I should have been an editor.

#119   2012/02/26 11:34AM
    alikat

Quote anybeth22: *sigh* why can't I just get paid to read all day? I have so many books to read and after this thread so much more.

Yeah but then it would have been a job and not a joy so...I wouldn't want that.

Besides, as an editor, if I ever had to read a Stephen King book I'd be able to file a workers comp suit after that because it would scare the bajeebus out of me.

#120   2012/02/26 11:47AM
    anybeth22

Quote alikat:
    Quote anybeth22: *sigh* why can't I just get paid to read all day? I have so many books to read and after this thread so much more.

Yeah but then it would have been a job and not a joy so...I wouldn't want that.

Besides, as an editor, if I ever had to read a Stephen King book I'd be able to file a workers comp suit after that because it would scare the bajeebus out of me.

Lol true! I didn't think of that!

« 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list