List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: Good Books

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

Good Books

Started by anybeth22 at 2012/02/07 11:22AM
    Latest post: 2013/09/09 06:14AM, Views: 11731, Replies: 268
    « 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 » »| page:
    #101   2012/02/20 08:48AM
    Re: Good Books
    ghfanfare

I just figured out how to download books to the Kindle from my local library. I'm so excited!

#102   2012/02/20 03:14PM
    ransomha

Quote ghfanfare: I just figured out how to download books to the Kindle from my local library. I'm so excited!

I have a nook and I think they only stay on your reader for like 2 or 3 weeks.

#103   2012/02/20 05:03PM
    mermag

Yes

Quote Woodiwiss:
    Quote alikat:
    Quote Vertigobarbie:
    Quote alikat:
    Quote theresao:
    Quote Vertigobarbie:
    Quote Woodiwiss: I must jump in and add my favorites. I am a(n) historical romance junkie. My fav's are narrowed down to 2 authors-

Kathleen E Woodiwiss--The Wolf and the Dove--Shanna--A Rose in Winter

Jude Devereaux---The Black Lyon---Velvet Promise---Highland Velvet---Velvet Song---Velvet Angel

These are old books from the 70's and 80's when I was reading 3/4 books a week but they are still in print. Love romance. That's why I watch soaps, for the love stories!!

I love both of those authors and have all of KEW's books. Another favourite of mine by her is Come Love a Stranger.
    I was very sad when I found out that KEW had passed away. The first book of her's that I read was The Flame and The Flower. I've read her books many times and enjoy them every time I read them.

I've all her books at least twice. What a great storyteller she was.

WELL GOOD GRIEF!!! I guess I'm going to have to read this author. So many high praises and then "I've read all her books at least TWICE" <--- That says it all.

I'm doing the same right now with my new favorite author, Julia Quinn. I stated earlier I ordered her Bridgerton Series in hardback. I've received some of them and in that group, the first of the series so now I'm already on page 108 of The Duke and I. It's easygoing romance but the author is so funny and her writing brings out quirks in the characters that are so endearing. Just this morning, with my first cup of coffee I read some and giggled quite a few times. THAT is something that I love when reading.

I shall take your suggestions of KEW and set up a wish list at Amazon.com. (My pile of unread is starting to grow larger than my already read in the Kindle)

I have read all of KEW's books at least 5 times.
    That's how much I love them. Some I love more than others but I never get tired of reading them.

Ali I would lend them to you if we were in closer proximity but I'm afraid it's cheaper for you to buy them as the shipping costs of back and forth would be much higher.

What is her BEST book. What book should I start with?

I'd start with the Flame and the Flower followed by The Wolf and the Dove then Ashes in the Wind, A Rose in Winter and then I would go to Shanna (her best IMO) although A Rose in Winter is right up there as well. She was the best historical romance writer. My fondest wish would be for her to go down in the annals of literature as better than Jane Austen. She's that good. Now that I'm talking about these books, I think I'll go home and dig out Rose in Winter for the umpteenth time. KEW has such a way with words that leaves me breathless every time I read them. I never tire of reading her work. Happy reading and let us know when you've finished reading one. I'm sure you'll be joining her multitude of admirers.

Yes Kathleen Woodiwiss is excellent for romance. I liked all of her books especially A Rose in Winter! Some of the newer authors I enjoy are: Maeve Binchy, Sue Grafton, Nora Roberts, Mary Higgins Clark and Debbie Macomber. Recent books I've read lately are: The Secret Life of Bees, Still Alice, Sarah's Key and The Help.

#104   2012/02/20 05:12PM
    ghfanfare

Quote ransomha:
    Quote ghfanfare: I just figured out how to download books to the Kindle from my local library. I'm so excited!

Yes, it's great. No worries about late fees.

#105   2012/02/20 05:30PM
    Devil-or-Angel

Just coming in to report that I did in fact start 'The Hunger Games' series. And I wanted to thank everyone who recommended it/suggested it/talked about enjoying it. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the movie next month. My daughter has already asked me to check where/if it will having a "midnight" showing on opening day so that we can go watch it as soon as possible.

I enjoyed the first one so much that I rushed right into reading the second one, which I found to be just as a good a read as the first.

I am now waiting for my daughter to finish the 3rd book so that I can continue the series...

#106   2012/02/21 09:43AM
    JaneDoe

Quote Devil-or-Angel: Just coming in to report that I did in fact start 'The Hunger Games' series. And I wanted to thank everyone who recommended it/suggested it/talked about enjoying it. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the movie next month. My daughter has already asked me to check where/if it will having a "midnight" showing on opening day so that we can go watch it as soon as possible.

I enjoyed the first one so much that I rushed right into reading the second one, which I found to be just as a good a read as the first.

I am now waiting for my daughter to finish the 3rd book so that I can continue the series...

The 3rd book is absolutely mesmerizing! I literally could not stop thinking about it.... I even dreamed about it. I could not start a new book for a few days simply to let it all sink in. Enjoy!

#107   2012/02/21 09:47AM
    alikat

Quote ransomha:

Really? Is that for books you have purchased? That would tick me off. I tend to shop and buy a lot of books at a time. Kindle keeps any books whether you pay for them or they are free, forever. There's some way you can "borrow" books but I think it's an upgraded monthly charge for that capability.

Right now I'm reading a book on Kindle that I bought back in mid 2011.

#108   2012/02/21 09:48AM
    alikat

Quote ghfanfare:
    Quote ransomha:

OH...now I get what you two mean. How did you do that? I didn't even know you COULD do that. That would save me a lot of money.

#109   2012/02/21 09:59AM
    Texas Sunflower

Quote alikat:
    Quote ghfanfare:
    Quote ransomha:

OH...now I get what you two mean. How did you do that? I didn't even know you COULD do that. That would save me a lot of money.

I didn't know you could borrow from Library but you can borrow from friends (for awhile)

And I love all KW books... Flame and Flower and Rose in Winter were great and first books.. I hated that she died and never got a movie.....

If you like Nicholas sparks you will like her books...

I read the Hunger Games and movie is out next month..... They were different..

happy reading and I love book discussions... the only books I don't care about are the Swiss guy's books... The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.... Won't read them.. My girlfriend loves them.......

But she didn't care for Twilight and I have read all the books several times.....

Go figure!!!!!!!!

Watch GH - save the show... for Katie C's lead in.....

#110   2012/02/21 10:48AM
    ghfanfare

Quote alikat:
    Quote ghfanfare:
    Quote ransomha:

I signed onto the website for my local library with my library card number. There is a heading called ebooks which is also subdivided into genres. I looked specifically for ebooks that were available but I can also put a hold on a book that is already checked out and they will notify you by email, cell phone, or whatever method you select when it is available.

My library allows you to check out a max of six ebooks. (There are also audiobooks available for download.) It's set up like a shopping website where you pick out what you want and put it in a cart. When you are ready to check out, there are options for whatever reader you have or you can download the books to a computer or other device.

I selected "get for my kindle" which then takes you to the Amazon website. You sign into your Amazon kindle account, select "download library book" and it then downloads the book via wi-fi to your kindle. Depending on the book, the checkout time is usually two or three weeks. When that expires, the book is automatically taken off the kindle. No charge to check out books and no worries about late fees.

This is actually one of the main reasons I got the kindle. No more opening a library book and finding someone's lunch (or worse!) in it. Awesome!

« 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 » »| page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list