List of Shows

recommended for you

Tell your friends

TELL YOUR FRIENDS

General Hospital - MESSAGE BOARDS

Soaps Boards :: General Hospital Forum :: How long till ABC cancels GH?

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

How long till ABC cancels GH?

Started by eglassman11 at 2011/04/28 07:38AM
    Latest post: 2011/04/28 12:41PM, Views: 1175, Replies: 9
    page:
    #1   2011/04/28 07:38AM
    How long till ABC cancels GH?
    eglassman11

I'm writing this on the message board to implore the GH fans to fight what ABC is doing to two shows that you may not actually watch, Days of our Lives and One Life to Live. I watch General Hospital from time to time, but have stuck with One Life to Live for many years now. Here's why I am writing:

There's a purge going on with ABC. You may recall that CBS got rid of all the rural shows in 1971 (around that time) in favor of new shows such as All in the Family and Newhart, etc.
    They wanted to change the style of CBS back then, so shows that did well in the ratings were cancelled to change the style. Here are some well-known shows that were cancelled that did well in the ratings: Lassie, The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Petticoat Junction, Hee-Haw, and the Jim Nabors Hour. They also got rid of the old guard. Lucille Ball was the only one left with a tv show, and that lasted only a few more years. The Red Skelton Show, the Jackie Gleason Show, the Ed Sullivan Show, etc. were all cancelled.

Now, that may not have been due to ratings, and no one can argue that ratings have plagued Days of our Lives, but I'm telling you that CBS cancelled the Guiding Light and As the World Turns last year. ABC is doing it this year to our shows. How long do you think it will take for ABC to decide to cancel GH due to production costs. They would rather produce reality shows, cooking shows, and game shows rather than the cost of a soap opera.

If you guys don't join this fight, then you will be losing an army of viewers from the other soaps that would help fight the cancellation of GH. The guy in charge of daytime has always hated soap operas. You may remember how they used to advertise soaps during night time programming. You may realize that the Nielsen ratings system is flawed as it does not accurately take into account those recording their shows on DVR or Tivo as most people are at work during the day.

I'm telling you now that you guys are next. They are planning this. It takes time, but as they whittle down the number of viewers on purpose to save money in the longterm, it will only be too soon before GH will be gone. Think about it. Is it a coincidence that this week you heard that the children of the creators of GH are suing ABC for not paying royalties? When will ABC decide that production costs are too much. First, you'll see long-term actors taken off-contract and paid by the day or week. Then, you'll see the quality of the writing going down with repeated story lines. As viewers begin to stop watching, ABC will in about 2 or 3 years give or take cancel GH. You won't have any other daytime viewers to turn to for help. That's why I am writing this message to ask you for help to save One Life to Live. We need your help now. They need to fire Brian Frons. Please help!!!

#2   2011/04/28 08:02AM
    Re: How long till ABC cancels GH?
    OG88

I read and don't worry I and alot of other people are joining the fight to keep AMC and OLTL on the air.Don't worry b/c if its a fight ABC wants then will give them one don't worry we got your back.

#3   2011/04/28 08:13AM
    eglassman11

The problem is that no other sponsor has actually back out like Hoover did. If more sponsors did so then ABC would think twice.

#4   2011/04/28 08:28AM
    Bizlet

ITA with your comments, look what has happened over last year.

1) We had a repeat of BJ/Maxie
    2) A repeat of Lucky/Liz paternity confusion
    They brought a popular character back (Brenda) and have ruined her IMO.

I am just waiting for Anthony, Franco and the Balkan to spring Toxic balls on Jason.

#5   2011/04/28 08:57AM
    Nightmoves

unfortunately, I don't think it will be very long. I don't trust that the execs are telling the truth when they say 'GH is safe'...

It will be a sad day when all 3 ABC soaps are gone

#6   2011/04/28 12:06PM
    jilltidwell

Quote Nightmoves: unfortunately, I don't think it will be very long. I don't trust that the execs are telling the truth when they say 'GH is safe'...

It will be a sad day when all 3 ABC soaps are gone

Sometimes I think that is what people anyway the way the talk.

#7   2011/04/28 12:09PM
    eglassman11

Why aren't you GH watchers doing something about this? Copy my original message and put it on every GH board that you know!!!! You have to be proactive folks!!!!! Apathy only leads to the cancellation of General Hospital as well.

#8   2011/04/28 12:23PM
    ashuri-chan

You watch GH from to time and decide to stick to One Life To Live so why the heck do you care about GH? And next to the stupid personialty storylines I am sick of everything being about Micheal. There is no accounment about GH being shut down and if there was then oh well. The show is always over budget so who cares! It's all about money and ratings and viewings and to my knowlege, it got to this point because the lack of ratings and viewers so as far as I am concerned, had you so called fans kept watching it probably would have never gotten to this point.

I like thw show and all, but if it is just going to be about Micheal then screw it! I'll just go to Youtube and relive better non-Micheal times.

#9   2011/04/28 12:32PM
    katie28

Quote eglassman11: Why aren't you GH watchers doing something about this? Copy my original message and put it on every GH board that you know!!!! You have to be proactive folks!!!!! Apathy only leads to the cancellation of General Hospital as well.

how do you know people aren't doing things? i'm on the gh fb page almost daily... and i see plenty of posts there to save the soaps.... and on fb... twitter... etc.... i also know many are calling and writing.... a little rude to acuse gh fans of doing nothing...

#10   2011/04/28 12:41PM
    Kemofan2k11

Quote eglassman11: I'm writing this on the message board to implore the GH fans to fight what ABC is doing to two shows that you may not actually watch, Days of our Lives and One Life to Live. I watch General Hospital from time to time, but have stuck with One Life to Live for many years now. Here's why I am writing:

There's a purge going on with ABC. You may recall that CBS got rid of all the rural shows in 1971 (around that time) in favor of new shows such as All in the Family and Newhart, etc.
    They wanted to change the style of CBS back then, so shows that did well in the ratings were cancelled to change the style. Here are some well-known shows that were cancelled that did well in the ratings: Lassie, The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Petticoat Junction, Hee-Haw, and the Jim Nabors Hour. They also got rid of the old guard. Lucille Ball was the only one left with a tv show, and that lasted only a few more years. The Red Skelton Show, the Jackie Gleason Show, the Ed Sullivan Show, etc. were all cancelled.

Now, that may not have been due to ratings, and no one can argue that ratings have plagued Days of our Lives, but I'm telling you that CBS cancelled the Guiding Light and As the World Turns last year. ABC is doing it this year to our shows. How long do you think it will take for ABC to decide to cancel GH due to production costs. They would rather produce reality shows, cooking shows, and game shows rather than the cost of a soap opera.

If you guys don't join this fight, then you will be losing an army of viewers from the other soaps that would help fight the cancellation of GH. The guy in charge of daytime has always hated soap operas. You may remember how they used to advertise soaps during night time programming. You may realize that the Nielsen ratings system is flawed as it does not accurately take into account those recording their shows on DVR or Tivo as most people are at work during the day.

I'm telling you now that you guys are next. They are planning this. It takes time, but as they whittle down the number of viewers on purpose to save money in the longterm, it will only be too soon before GH will be gone. Think about it. Is it a coincidence that this week you heard that the children of the creators of GH are suing ABC for not paying royalties? When will ABC decide that production costs are too much. First, you'll see long-term actors taken off-contract and paid by the day or week. Then, you'll see the quality of the writing going down with repeated story lines. As viewers begin to stop watching, ABC will in about 2 or 3 years give or take cancel GH. You won't have any other daytime viewers to turn to for help. That's why I am writing this message to ask you for help to save One Life to Live. We need your help now. They need to fire Brian Frons. Please help!!!

I'm a little confused by this post. Did NBC announce that they are cancelling "Days of our Lives?". Can you tell me where you saw that at?

page:

Please register and login to be able to post in this message board.

« Go back to topic list