Days of Our Lives - NEWS ROOM

Days Of Our Lives Weekly Blog!

Friday, April 24 2009

Dr. Baker has a heart? (Soaps.com)
    These are the "DAYS" of my week for April 20-24:

I’m changing format this week just to point out what interested me or what I wanted to rant about.

This week focused mostly on the wedding and the shooting. Though the show was fast paced and the twists were good, I was a little tired of seeing the same faces. I found myself wanting to see another set of characters which in turn, made me miss a few old characters. I know balance isn’t easy when there are a few writers writing the script. This week seemed to really get it together though, in other areas and I give credit where credit is due. I was shocked that EJ and Nicole actually married. (Some things are even kept from the reporters!) All those interruptions drove me mad and we went deep into the DiMera family, who are coming out more these days like they are from Port Charles, where the Mafia storylines usually come from! Though I’m not sure how I feel about the change to the family, I can’t help thinking it would be neat if there was a cross over storyline with General Hospital. I suppose I’m more used to Stefano brainwashing, rather than all out putting a hit on somebody! I’m curious about your thoughts on this change to the family.

I still want to see Daniel and Chloe and Rafe’s characters given more attention and I’d like to see the vets much more often. Bo and Hope weren’t seen at all this week. It’s difficult to stay invested in them when you rarely see them. It was nice to see Roman for a scene with Sami, and I do like the blood feud.

I read a Soap Opera Digest interview with Steve Nichols and Mary Beth Evans (Steve and Kayla) that was very telling. A few quotes:

SOD mentioned that there was no official exit scene for Stayla. (Most can agree that it was disrespectful to the characters and fans.)

Steve Nichols says, "...that is indicative of a writer who really does not want to write anything for you and a "cut-and-run" attitude that prevails. When they decide they are done with you, they don't bother to give the characters the respect of resolving story. Early on, a producer told Mary Beth and me that there would be no more second takes for acting. One day, I stood in the booth soon after that and watched two actors in a highly emotional scene do five takes because the producer thought he saw a boom shadow, which no one could identify. Five takes for a phantom boom shadow! If the acting had been off, they would have moved on. Another actor reported that this same producer had told him that he did not care so much about the acting and that the audience would understand enough about the story by simply hearing the words. Can you imagine? Yet the crew and any actor who cared about what they were doing felt a renewed energy and expressed that to us both. It turned out to be an uphill battle all the way."

Can you believe that? I care about the acting! We all care about the acting. If the acting isn’t good, people aren’t going to invest in an hour of their time, daily, to watch. I’ve issues with any soap actors who can’t emote. It hinders the believability in the scenes.

Will they be BFF's soon? (Soaps.com)
    This week, I was surprised, as I said that the wedding happened. I was also surprised that Chloe was at the wedding alone. Lucas was working and I don’t recall seeing Abe in the church. Did I miss him or was I simply too busy writing, to notice? I suppose budget cuts play a part in who we’ll see in certain scenes. For this wedding, it worked. It would have been hypocritical for anyone else to show up at this ridiculous farce of a wedding! It was silly that Chloe couldn’t get a hold of Lucas to tell him Philly was shot, though. Everyone has cell phones. Did Lucas turn his off?

Chloe rushed into the hospital, after hearing that Philly was shot and I found her very wooden. I suppose she was in shock, but I didn’t feel it coming from her. She seemed blank. Stephanie, however, cried her freaking eyes out and I was touched. This is the first time I really felt how much she loved Philly, and it was a good thing, because the flashbacks with her and Philly in them did nothing for me. They’re a new couple with limited amounts of chemistry that hasn’t made it easy for me to get invested in.

I have an issue with the dialogue! The dialogue writers write the same dialogue, week after week and it’s very annoying to fans, who dedicate five hours a week to this show. At the hospital, Stephanie and Kate’s lines were verbatim from previous scenes. Stephanie cries, "I love you, Philip. Just come back to me, please!" How many times did she say those exact words last week? Give her something else to say, let her adlib. Something. Kate’s lines this week to Stefano were verbatim of what she said to Victor a few weeks ago when she told him she despised him and that he was out of her life. That’s just sheer laziness. So are we to assume that she’s not going to date Stefano or marry him? *grin* Just asking! Give her a week.
    I miss the old Sami and long for some fun scenes between her and Rafe, if they can ever stop arguing for two minutes to actually enjoy each other. Don’t you guys think that Sami has feelings for both EJ and Rafe? Knowing how she finds it difficult to admit feelings, even to herself, I feel this is the case. She cares for both men. Why else would she have to tell him about Grace on his wedding day? It shouldn’t matter what day she tells him. She’s too good for the DiMera’s, anyway. She actually cared about how Philip was, after learning he was shot. Did you notice that Sami called the hospital, pretending to be Cassie, his sister? What a surprise that was that she used one of the Gemini Twins names! I did like me some Rex (Eric Winters)…

Ejole wedding:
    Poor pathetic Nicole, marrying into the evil family of DiMeras, claiming she’s in love with EJ. She doesn’t know love and has no idea what she's getting herself into. I’m thinking that even Brady, who is in love with her, won’t stick around after he finds out that she swapped his own sister, Sami’s baby for Grace! Wait for Monday for Brady to get a backbone, where EJ’s concerned!

Be careful of what you wish for. I wanted EJ to be evil again, but now that he is, I find myself missing those special moments in the past that he shared with Nicole and with Sami, when he was in between being good and evil! Even EJole’s romantic scenes sicken me. He’s such a pig. EJ told Nicole that she knew when they met and when she begged him to marry her that this was the kind of lifestyle he had – the Mafioso lifestyle, but he didn’t have that lifestyle, then. Unless they just rewrote history. Nicole may be a lot of things, but she’s not anything like EJ, and I’m wondering how long it’ll take her to get away from him. Stefano was right. EJ finds it very hard to say no to Samanther and it showed when he actually let her interrupt his wedding.

Damn that Eric Martsolf (Brady) and his divine body. I didn’t snap ONE good photo of his half nude bod to post for you, during his scenes with new pal, Melanie. I was writing and yeah, staring too much to actually wake up and snap a photo. Did you see him flex, as he pulled on his shirt? At least, I think that’s what he was doing. The hospital scenes also gave us a hint that we may see Melanie and Stephanie become a little closer – possibly- in the coming weeks. After all, Melanie didn’t have to comfort Stephanie at the hospital, but she did so, unselfishly. Once Max and Chelsea are gone, Steph won’t have a pal and since Melanie’s girlfriends are back in Europe, it would make sense for them to let bygones be bygones.

Stefano took ill this week, thinking Victor had poisoned him, but is that what’s really going on? You’ll have to wait until Monday to find out, unless you have no patience and want to read my spoilers, instead!

I have to spoil something that happens Monday:
    After watching Friday and Monday’s show, I started to like Dr. Baker a little. He wasn’t such a scumbag to me. He may be a baby broker, and still scummy, but unlike Nicole, he at least tried to put Mia’s concerns to rest, when she admitted to feeling like a bad person and bad parent when she held Sydney and felt no connection to her. Sure, he doesn’t want her to spill the truth about his part in this, so he’s not totally unselfish, but he didn’t need to be so kind to her, and he was. I thought it was a nice touch for this character, who was one-dimensional.

Those are just a few of my thoughts from this week. Please share yours! Agree, disagree, it’s all in fun! Speaking of fun, I’m heading into an incredible weekend filled with fun, romance and relaxation! I hope the same goes for all of you!

- Christine Fix

Posted by ChiliGirl at Friday, April 24 2009 03:33 PM

Good Job on the article, I always like reading your week in review! I also loved the spoiler pic you posted of Samantha with the caption underneath of Sami-Mae! That was hysterical! I couldn't believe EJ and Nicole got married either! I just knew it was not going to happen. Despite all the things that Nicol has done I actually feel kind of sorry for her. To think if she would have went to EJ and told him about the miscarriage I wonder what kind of couple EJ and Nicole would be today. I mean look at how close she got to Brady through all this and I think EJ really would have been there for her and he would have loved her that much more. Its sad.
    I hear you about Bo and Hope I posted in a thread on the message board that they seem to be on a show all by themselves. Everyone else's story on the show seems to bleed in to everyone else's story but Bo and Hope. I don't understand why Bo's visions do not connect with others in the show. I mean he could have a vision of Nicole standing over two babies or before Phillip was shot he could have had a vision of a blurred out face on a man standing next to EJ on his wedding. The vision's thing doesn't really bother me that much because that is kind of real life if you believe in that sort of thing like the show Medium. I was glad to see Roman this week too, I really like him alot. I have always loved Josh Taylor! I hope you all have a good week!

Posted by firebird85 at Friday, April 24 2009 03:49 PM

Thanks Chrissi for your thoughts on Days.

I agree with you about wanting to see a balance with character(s) & story line(s). I also hope to see the story lines move along a little faster in the future.

I consider the DiMera vs. Kiriakis despute as a personal vendetta. I hope any references to the DiMeras being Mafia is a coincident. I watch enough of the mob in the GH and its over-rated.

I also read that SOD article and reacted with disbelief about the producers comments about acting. That may explain why I find the newer & younger characters scenes lacking feeling and very one dimensional.

I didn’t care for Nicole & EJ’s wedding. They could have gotten married in one or two days, and not drag it out for the week.

Stephanie reaction to Philip’s shooting was awesome and much appreciated than watching dreary flashbacks.

The writers need to invest in a dictionary/thesaurus. I believe the word of the week was EVIL. The DiMeras are Evil. EJ is EVIL. I got the message from their past deeds and more recently, the shooting of Philip. This is where acting or emoting goes a long way than just saying dialogue.

Again, agree with you about the relationship btw Brady & Melanie. I like them staying friends for awhile.

I hope everyone has a good weekend! Take care!

Posted by bghwme at Friday, April 24 2009 03:50 PM

Hi Chrissy. Glad you are headed for a great weekend. I will be working all weekend. But, I get 3 weekdays off. Spring has finally sprung in my neck of the country, so I will probably work in yard. Can't wait to plant my flower beds!

I don't really see that much change in the DiMera family. They have always been "homicidal maniacs who like to torture people for sport." EJ managed to fool Sami for a while, but he has always been his father's son, in my opinion. Like Melanie said. With EJ, you never see it coming.

I was hoping the wedding would go through. Being trapped in the DiMera web is just what Nicole has earned and just what she deserves.

I'm kind of glad Sami showed up too. Seeing Brady all beat up and hearing about Philip getting shot was just what she needed to finally wake up and see EJ for who he really is. He is and always has been just as evil as his father, but more dangerous; because "with EJ, you never see it coming."

I have been watching General Hospital for a couple of months now, and yes; there are a lot of similarities in the story lines. They are also in bad need of a good psychiatrist right now, so I keep hoping to see Dr. Marlena Evans show up. John and Marlena both would fit right in over there. LOL Why not? I recognize several other "used to be on Days" actors.

I thoroughly enjoyed the acting skills of both Stephanie and Melanie this week. Stephanie's anguish at the Philip shooting actually brought tears to my eyes.

Melanie was awesome. Melanie/Sami. Melanie/Brady. And especially Melanie with Stephanie. Who would have thought that little mouthy Melanie would be so good to have around in a crisis? Methinks she is destined to become a nurse.

She still has a huge crush on Philip, though; so I don't know if she and Stephanie will become friends. I hope they do, but I also hope Maggie and Melanie become more like mother/daughter.

Speaking of Maggie....If they are not going to write Mickey into the story, and I wish they would; but if they are not going to, then why don't they let Mickey die or something, and hook Maggie and Roman up together. I think they would work nicely as an older couple and be good grandparents for Sami's kids. The Roman character is a really nice guy, and I am so tired of him being alone.

I am very much ready to see the Sami/Rafe romance get going. They just seem so "right" for each other, and I was further encouraged when I saw Sami's father approve the relationship. I think he believes they would be a good match too. Go Rafe! Let's heat up the screens.

I feel bad for Lucas, though. Seems like there are too many men on the show and not enough women to go around. I just know that Chloe is going to end up running off with Daniel and poor Lucas will be left with nobody. Maybe for years, like Roman. Let's just hope he doesn't start drinking again.

Of course, there are lots of cute waitresses at the Java Cafe. Maybe he will end up with Arianna..but I kind of have her pegged for Brady. Who knows? Maybe Rafe has another sister or a cousin somewhere for Lucas.

I hope Dr. Baker at least tells Mia that Sydney is not her baby so that she will stay away from the DiMeras.

Posted by Doolfan25 at Friday, April 24 2009 11:12 PM

As always I completely agree with everything you said. I can't believe you mentioned the parallels between GH and DOOl. I have been thinking that all week. I would kill to see a Jason Morgan EJ Dimera cross-over. YUMMY! It's so strange how the writing too such a sharp turn this past week into this whole Dimeras as Italian mafia stuff. They tried doing that with Joe Penny last year and it didn't work. I don't know why they are doing it again. Whatever. I also love the stuff that Steve Nichols said. I find myself only following the EJ/Sami/Stefano/Nicole storyline because to me those are the only remotely interesting characters and relationships on the show. Steve Nichols is right. It feels rushed and the actors don't have a chance to flesh their relationships and characters out. The whole Ejole/Safe/Chlucas/etc relationships are so forced and were so hastily built. I don't buy 'em. I also find it offensive that the writers and producers think I don't notice a hastily put together scene. Yeah, I notice the quality of DOOL slipping.

Posted by omzig at Sunday, April 26 2009 05:00 AM

Hi, Christine
    I love reading your thoughts. I agree that we need to see more of Daniel/Chloe (and not just with their clothes off- lol). I am totally addicted to this pair and they have amazing chemistry. I would also like to see Rafe interact with people other than Sami- they put me to sleep - no offense to Sami but I do not get the "Sheridan" vibe from her.

As far as Chloe at the hospital, I agree she was wooden but I think it has a lot do do with Daniel. She has to keep her emotions under check (for everything) or she just might cave and give into her true feelings for Daniel. She has been walking around in this fake trance since she chose Lucas. We know who she 'really' wants.

I wouldn't exactly want Lucas at my wedding either - since he did shoot EJ the last time he got married. LOL

Thanks again for your insight!!

Posted by happyasever33004 at Monday, April 27 2009 06:57 AM

I agree with alot of the things that you said here Chrissy, the only thing I don't really agree with is this:

"They’re a new couple with limited amounts of chemistry that hasn’t made it easy for me to get invested in." about Phillip and Steph.

I actually think the chemistry between them is out of this world and I thought that since December when they were stuck in that vault. I totally was getting into it and really only watch now to see what is going to happen next with them.

I agree with Sami not have a "Sheridan" vibe, omzig, but for someone that watched Passions from the very beginning I always thought that maybe I'd like to see Galen Gering acting in a different role to see what he could do out of that rediculousness and I'm liking this role for him. Though I would love to see ALOT more him which it is looking like I will soon and maybe Alison Sweeny will be to right match in the end.

Besides that I like this side of Melanie. I know she has a crush on Phillip but maybe after what she saw Setph go through she will realize that they are supposed to be together. For some reason I wouldn't put it passed the writers to have her going after Brady. Totally weird but it would totally be a play on what happened to her with Nick.

Can't wait for this week to see what new things are in store for us.

Posted by Chrissi_Soaps.com at Monday, April 27 2009 11:47 AM

ChiliGirl, thanks so much. I appreciate any feedback at all, as long as it's constructive! LOL It's all in fun!

There's a story behind that photo! I actually wear my hair like that at home sometimes too, so I'm not exactly poking fun! A few of us at work did this funny quiz that changed your name to a hillbilly name. Mine was something with the name Mae, at the end, and when I saw Sami, it totally reminded me of that quiz! She wore it well.

I was surprised - never surprised. Usually the spoilers tell me loads, ahead of time, but not about the wedding. It's good to be surprised!

Yeah, Bope's story truly is on it's own, and doesn't make for a good flow. I like Roman, too and want to see him with a woman!

Firebird85, You're welcome! I don't really like mob stories, as a whole, though I am enjoying this one, it's really not who the DiMera's were. I think they're stepping things up. Just takes time to get used to!

Haha you're right. Evil. I should have made note of that. I'm bad for using the same wording, because I'm rushing in the summary, so I wonder if that's there excuse, too?!

Bghwme, Hi, I had such a great time. Husband and I stayed at the Marriott in one of their lofts, overlooking Niagara Falls. It was romantic and we just really needed time away. Oh I can't wait to plant in my beds, either. If you're on Facebook, shoot me some pics!! I have to post some from my trip and from just wandering about!

True, the DiMera's have always been 'homocidal maniacs'. I feel a change in them is all! Yes, Nicole needs to accept the consequences of her actions. I think this will allow some growth for her that she wouldn't otherwise have. Yes, GH has a few old DOOL actors on their show! I never get to see it often enough.

Yeah, about Melanie, I started second guessing that friendship thing between her and Steph. Maybe it's showing some growth for Melanie. We need to see that. I agree about Mickey, too. Roman is a great character and I miss seeing him more often!

Yes, Sami's growing with Rafe at her side. More good to come in the next few weeks with them.

Doolfan25- That's cool we agree on everything! I think the Mafia scene shocked me a little and made me miss "Days" gone by, but the writers need to make changes in order for the show to survive. I just hope it's not a constant killing spree like GH. Hehe

OMZIG, Hi, thanks! Yeah you know, Daniel and Chloe have a fab chemistry. I do like her with Lucas, but they might be better suited if Lucas could have somebody else. I'm not certain I like Rafe and Sami, either. I'm on the fence still.

Yah, about Chloe, you could be right. I just thought it was a strange scene. LOL And yeah, good point about Lucas!! LOL I always miss 'something'!!

happyasever33004 Hi! I liked the chemistry Steph and Philly had before, but lately, I see a change and it's not workign for me. That could change. There are good things coming for them.

I totally love Rafe in this role. He was a snooze on Passions for me. No real part! And yeah, I do like Melanie - well, have since day one, but she needs growth!

Have a great week!!