Days of Our Lives - NEWS ROOM

Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn Off Days of our Lives!

Monday, November 17 2008

Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn (NBC)
    If you thought Jay Kenneth Johnson (Philip) leaving Days was a shocker, hold on to your hats! It seems in an effort to trim the fat budget-wise, the show has let go of Deidre Hall (Marlena) and Drake Hogestyn (John).

According to an interview with Soap Opera Digest, executive producer Ken Corday previewed, “The couple will be happily reunited after a long period of angst and separation and will be off-screen after January for an unknown period of time. It was a very tough decision to make."

This comes as a surprise considering the many storyline options for the couple as they navigate the rocky road to a reconciliation and figure out how to be a couple with John’s new personality. In addition, John’s son Brady recently returned home and hasn’t exactly been received with open arms by his father. Hopefully they will be able to mine some serious drama and, since this is John we’re talking about, humor into their new relationship before he leaves the canvas.

Soaps.com is sad to hear such a popular couple will be leaving the show, but we take comfort in knowing they will ride off into the sunset together and hopefully return in the near future.

Posted by Mistylou at Monday, November 17 2008 12:11 PM

Well, I think NBC has finally found a way to justify taking Days off of the air. It's absolutely ridiculous for them to drop Drake and Deidre, especially when they have so many cast members that are easily expendable. I am a 39 y/o female and I have watched Days since I was 5. No longer will I watch after this executive decision. I don't mind people being let go...but, my God people, these are the heart and soul of the show. Way to go NBC, you've gotten your wish. People will stop watching, the ratings will further decline and you can in all justification pull the plug. I hope everyone involved in the show finds work somewhere else. I hope to follow as many of their careers as possible. Everyone on the show deserves better than this. And so do the fans...

Posted by sgm1669 at Monday, November 17 2008 01:07 PM

What is going on here I have been waiting for these two to get an awesome story now they are just going to have them reunite and ride off in the sunset. This is an outrage they are the best actors on the show. This show just needs to go off the air once and for all. They keep actors such as Melanie instead of core charcters that give the show meaning. Well its one show that i will not watch anymore without John and Marlena there is no show

Posted by MajicMitch at Monday, November 17 2008 01:15 PM

You know they bring back Drake and then pump out this ridiculous storyline. Where's Joe, will he be on the chopping block next. They could go so far with the whole reinventing the Dimeras. Instead, we get crap like Trent, the Death of Trent, Melanie, Chelsea/Daniel, shoved down our throats. Really, does anyone care that Theo has Autism? Or how Lexie relates to that? What the heck, how about some storylines with meat. Days has an fabulous cast of seasoned actors, with backstories, use them guys...

Posted by JR829 at Monday, November 17 2008 01:25 PM

This is absolutely absurd. What an idiotic move on Corday's part. How can you let go such talented, seasoned veterans like Deidre and Drake, and keep crap like Melanie, Stephanie, and Max?? Don't these people get that the viewers don't want to see these untalented newbies??? They want to see the history, the characters they have come to know and love, the people who can take rich storyline material and actually make it into good TV soap viewing?? This is such a huge mistake that is going to come back and bite Corday in the butt. You start losing the real talent for the cheaper people, and you have basically killed the shows chances of sticking around for much longer. There is just so much storyline potential for John and Marlena, what with Brady being back, Sami's drama. Uggh! this makes me so mad.

Posted by angelb2a at Monday, November 17 2008 01:36 PM

I went on nbc.com/days of our lives and i posted my comments on the Deidre's blog and the day of days photos. I said that I thought days was making a big mistake. I started watching days nince years ago and fell in love with Marlena and John at their 1999 wedding. I read there history. I recently went on youtube and watched past episodes with deidre and drake and OMG! the chemistry is unbelievable, the hotness!!! I knew about their history before but reading and seeing deidre and drake actually play it out instead of reading words is different. Days is making a big mistake; why bring drake back if you are going to let him go again. I don't understand. The veterans are what make days soo good.

BUT.....I'm glad that they are going to reunite. At least, we finally get to see that but days won't be the same without them. I know I won't be tuning in after January until they bring them back

Posted by MARCO88 at Monday, November 17 2008 01:45 PM

This is crazy. I can't believe that DAYS is doing this. What kind of staff do they got running the show. How could they let go one of the main super couples. First with Shawn and Belle and now Marlena and John. They should get rid of Melanie, Max, Stephanie, Chelsea and Nick. They are useless character. They need to bring back the original teens and adults like Shawn and Belle, Carrie and Austin, Jack and Jennifer. I mean come on here. This is why i stopped watching DAYS because it has boring storyline, with nothing exciting to offer.

Posted by Dansea4Ever08 at Monday, November 17 2008 02:11 PM

If this truly is what Ken Corday wants, to let Days "plug" be pulled, his wish is imminent. I think this is absoultly ridiculous. My grandmother got me hooked on Days when I was 12 y/o and I am now 27!! Jarlena makes the show, & w/o them, there is no hope. I do hope all of the other actors and actresses get better jobs, and hope to see them some place else, even though it won't be the same as all of them in Salem. Plus, does anyone remember that Corday did this once before, only w/ John, less than a year ago? That tragic hit-and-run they made us viewers go through! Their ratings went down like a sky-diver w/ no parachute! I thought Ken learned his lesson... Obviously not. So, good-bye Days.... It was nice knowin' ya........ ~Dansea4Ever08

Posted by pjhs at Monday, November 17 2008 02:16 PM

Posted by PJHS at Monday, 11/17/08 4:10PM

I don't know what is wrong with the Days writers. Getting rid of Marlena and John will just make the ratings get worse not better. If they need to trim the budget, then why don't the writers take a pay cut and get rid of the new people and keep the vets. I have been watching the show since the 70's and always liked the show, but after this, I quit watching it and I am sure alot of other people will do the same. I hope the writers are happy,

Posted by angel15 at Monday, November 17 2008 04:06 PM

ITA with everyone's comments and I am also outraged, if Drake and Deidre were leaving on their own will it would be different, but to fire them?? I understand budget cuts, but to me it only makes sense to get rid of some of the other characters (no offense to the actors) and keep the vets.

I'm up in the air as to watching Days anymore, what a slap in the face to IMO the most talented people on Days. If they needed to get rid of a vet why not Kate and Roman, I think they are very talented actors but haven't had a good s/l in a very long time.

The show has so many useless characters and Days takes away the best-the ratings will be down and the show done!!!

Posted by lookin4you2xist at Monday, November 17 2008 04:07 PM

I agree,Getting rid of Marlena and John will just make the ratings get worse not better. Guess they will not be bringing EJ's mom back either (laughs) he was shot, in a coma, the mom didn't appear. I would have loved to have seen her if only for one episode ... but thanks to rapid age progressing EJ is a lot older. Coulda of been great to see Stephino's reaction to her.I agree some of the executive writers, and other behind the scenes people should go first.Deidre Hall is one of my favorite actresses, if you have never seen her rose go to help me find roses and type in her name Very Limited and Very Pretty!

MORE COMMENTS: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 » »| page: