Days of Our Lives - NEWS ROOM

Days of our Lives Celebrates 43 Years!

Friday, November 07 2008

Steve and Kayla (NBC)
    November 8 will mark 43 years to the day that Days of Our Lives first aired on NBC. Throughout the past four decades we have followed the lives of the Horton, Brady, Kiriakis, Carver, Johnson, DiMera and Devereaux clans, just to name a few. While we may not always agree with where the writers take the storylines, Days of our Lives has become part of our daily routine and the characters part of our families.

Perhaps best known for their supercouples in the 80’s, Days of Our Lives has produced some of the most memorable romantic pairings in Daytime. As was common practice back then, our supercouples often met and fell in love during an exciting, life threatening adventure that would bond them forever. Some of the most memorable couples included, Bo & Hope, Steve (Patch) & Kayla, Shane & Kimberly, Roman & Marlena and John & Marlena.

Of course it’s not all about the decade of big hair and shoulder pads, as other significant couples that have spanned the course of the show include Doug & Julie, Shawn & Caroline, Jack & Jennifer, Austin & Carrie and Shawn & Belle.

But with love comes problems to overcome, so these couples inevitably have had their fair share of hurdles to climb, such as demonic possession, mind control, baby switching, rape, memory loss and sordid pasts. Days of Our Lives often finds a crazy way to break their couples up, but that’s why we stay glued to our screens, to watch them find their back to their true love, even if it means getting side tracked by a temporary love in the process.

John and Marlena (Jeff Katz)
    While there are fewer adventures and the days of the supercouple have faded, viewers still remain loyal to Days of Our Lives. However, it’s not without it’s problems, as the show seems to drop storylines, create convoluted ones, force lukewarm couples on us and most egregiously of all, throw our beloved veterans to the back burner or even off the stove in order to make room for newbies we don’t care about.

It would be wonderful if we could go back to the grand adventures and love stories that made Days great, but short of that all we really want is for the show to focus on our core families and characters that we care about, see some love between the couples we root for and keep the characters consistent with who they are. Soap fans really just want some good old-fashioned story telling, which means watching a relationship begin, grow and continue.

As we are often reminded, the soap genre is in constant danger of becoming extinct. Soaps.com certainly hopes that doesn’t happen and wants Days to keep thriving and return to the powerhouse it once was.

Forty-three years is a long time to keep audiences interested and to tell entertaining and compelling stories. We congratulate Days of Our Lives for enduring this long and hope to find out what’s in store for the Bradys, Hortons, DiMeras, Carvers and Blacks for many decades to come.

What’s your favorite moment of the last 43 years? Favorite couple? Share your thoughts on Days' past below.

Posted by lovesit at Friday, November 07 2008 10:29 AM

I have never, and will never, underdtand how some of you want to see EJ and Sami together. How did you all get past the fact that he forced her to have sex with him while it showed her crying?

Posted by salemitefan08 at Friday, November 07 2008 11:20 AM

What ever happened to the romance between Abigail and Max? How are Jack and Jennifer?

Posted by bghwme at Friday, November 07 2008 11:36 AM

Marlena has always been my heroine. Doesn't matter who she is with..Don, Roman, John. She's just wonderful. However, John is the on great true love of her life, and I hope she gets to stay with him forever!

Posted by dwtb at Friday, November 07 2008 01:39 PM

I HAVE BEEN A DAYS FAN FOR 43 YEARS I AM 54 DAYS IS THE ONLY SOAP THAT I WATCH I USE TO WATCH THEM ALL I PUT DOWN THE OTHER SOAP ABOUT 15 YEARS AGO DAYS IS THE ONLY ONE THAT I LIKE .JOHN AND MARLENA IS THE BEST COUPLE ON DAY TIME TV WE NEED THE OLD JOHN BACK FOR MARLENA HE IS THE LOVE OF HER LIFE THEY ARE SOULMATES WE NEED THEM BACK TOGETHER DAYS HAPPY 43 YEARS DAYS YOU CAN BE THE NUMBER ONE SOAP YOU HAVE THE BEST CAST ON DAYS . NICOLE AND EJ TOGETHER PLEASE.

Posted by falconboy12 at Friday, November 07 2008 05:24 PM

hello,

my favorite storyline was the killing pool which featured kristen, susan, marlena, john, stefano, laura, celeste, penelope, sister mary moira and elvis. it was an awesome story and a fun way for eileen to go out.

eric

Posted by laughtertogether at Friday, November 07 2008 06:59 PM

Why are supercouples a thing of the past?

Posted by firebird85 at Saturday, November 08 2008 06:52 PM

I loved Jack & Jennifer, Patch & Kayla. Loved the s/l where Carly was buried alive. Then stopped watching when Marlena was possessed and the s/l where everyone was getting "killed" off. Victor Kiriakis was a great villian in his time.

Posted by passionsfan2582 at Sunday, November 09 2008 03:40 PM

I have loved most everything except for the marlena possession storyline and a few others and I love ALL the vets on the show and really miss some of them but most recently (in march of this year) days brought two people together who just really connected, they share amazing chemistry, they have a sparkle in their eyes when they look at each other and when one of them walks into the room and sees the other one the room lights up, they work really well together, there is a lot of potential for these two together and they are just all around a refreshing, unique pairing that are fun to watch.....this couple that I'm referring to is Chelsea and Daniel. This couple has been viewed as controversial since the beginning and many people have shared their opinions of this couple but for the many fans of Daniel and Chelsea....I can say that we all saw something between Daniel and Chelsea beginning with the very first day they met, theres something that is just amazing and special about these two and they have attracted many viewers, viewers from other countries even which is amazing and I have had the pleasure of talking to some of these viewers from those countries. As a Daniel & Chelsea fan (Dansea) their story started out as such a beautiful chance encounter that turned into something more meaningful/deep and although Daniel and Chelsea's story has been side-tracked by opposing forces such as Kate but as one of the many Dansea fans out there, I hope to see them back together soon and I hope that their story is an example of one of those type of stories described above "to watch them find their back to their true love, even if it means getting side tracked by a temporary love in the process" and as a viewer of Days for 20 years, i will be thrilled to see Daniel and Chelsea find their way back to each other!!!!

Posted by Prilla35 at Monday, November 17 2008 05:10 PM

Wow, reading all these comments is exactly the way I feel. Richteam you have been around as long as I have. I love all those charactors to. Passions fan I really didnt like the posessed Marlena either. And Falconboy, that was one of my favorites to. I have a lot of great memories with Days. I get mad, cry, and laugh a lots. Thats why I love this show. Please Days keep our VETS!!!

Posted by gina4u08 at Tuesday, November 18 2008 05:37 PM

My favourite all time couple is Bo and Hope. Their wedding day. i also love Jack and Jennifer .